Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Not quite disneyland afterall

Not quite disneyland afterall

Shane

As posted on an OSS mailing list I leech from
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...0445856&pnum=0

Whilst the article gets a bit.. weird.. (I think its painting the OSS vs
Microsoft bunfight a bit thick) the thing many of you may notice is the
location of the.. conference..

Just to throw some conspiracy theorys of my own into the mix, the inventor
of python is [now] a Google employee, and he was hired with the intention
that a portion of his time would be spent on maintaining python.
Why? Google was invented on python, Larry and Co started their little
company with python. If python stopped, a lot of Googles work would need
to be redone.
<conspiracy theory>
Google is also heavily based on Linux.
At some stage Google may find itself becoming the force behind Linux. More
so than [for example] IBM
</conspiracy theory>
You heard it here first!

Finally some interesting comment, on how big Linux really *is* becoming.
The Linux Foundation boasts 70 corporate and non-profit backers, including
Intel, Oracle, IBM, Cisco, Motorola, Nokia, Dell, Red Hat and Sun, along
with major customers like ADP, Bank of America and Morgan Stanley,

and just how Linux (and its applications) are being looked after
"Ultimately, I think (Linux) is being pushed by commercial forces ... Now a
lot of people are being paid to do Linux as professionals," he said of how
many top open-source developers now work for big-name companies like
Google, HP and Oracle.

--
Q: Why do you never hear the number 288 on television?
A: It's two gross.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <f4t8bf$qg2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shane wrote:

> If python stopped, a lot of Googles work would need to be redone.

In what way could Python (or any other open-source project) "stop"?

> and just how Linux (and its applications) are being looked after
> "Ultimately, I think (Linux) is being pushed by commercial forces ... Now
> a lot of people are being paid to do Linux as professionals," he said of
> how many top open-source developers now work for big-name companies like
> Google, HP and Oracle.

Jonathan Corbet did an interesting analysis on where contributions to the
Linux kernel came from recently <http://lwn.net/Articles/222773/>. Turns
out most of the people working on Linux are being paid to do so.

FS: 8mm Vintage Home Movies 50's & 60's Disneyland Vegas Ney York History Buff Computer Support 0 07-04-2010 12:16 PM
FT: Walt Disney Treasure - Disneyland USA (shrink wrapped) swoosh DVD Video 0 09-05-2006 01:52 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: KISS OF DEATH (1947), DISNEY SING ALONG SONGS: DISNEYLAND FUN AND BEACH PARTY AT WALT DISNEY WORLD, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 1 02-16-2006 03:35 PM
I'm going to Disneyland! Worm MCSE 1 07-03-2004 12:58 PM
Photos in Disneyland Robin S Digital Photography 11 02-24-2004 02:51 AM

Advertisments