Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vista Compatability update

Vista Compatability update

Collector»NZ

Well I have had a good run with Vista and compatibility with my
applications, I have only just struck my second app that wont run in
Vista after 2 or so months of running it.

Went to use my Anything to DivX converter (from DivX) and it is a non
starter wont even try to run

Kent Smith

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Well I have had a good run with Vista and compatibility with my
> applications, I have only just struck my second app that wont run in
> Vista after 2 or so months of running it.
>
> Went to use my Anything to DivX converter (from DivX) and it is a non
> starter wont even try to run

Dr Divx works

-KENT

Collector»NZ

Kent Smith wrote:
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>
>> Well I have had a good run with Vista and compatibility with my
>> applications, I have only just struck my second app that wont run in
>> Vista after 2 or so months of running it.
>>
>> Went to use my Anything to DivX converter (from DivX) and it is a non
>> starter wont even try to run
>>

> Dr Divx works
>

> -KENT

Have you tried Dr DivX Converter, play works fine and the codecs are
good but the converter fails

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Watch out for rogue Vista drivers. Apparently they can completely wreck your
system, to the point where the only way to fix things is to reinstall.

<http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2007/06/vistas_weak_lin.html>

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:27:07 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> exclaimed:

>Watch out for rogue Vista drivers. Apparently they can completely wreck your
>system, to the point where the only way to fix things is to reinstall.
>
><http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2007/06/vistas_weak_lin.html>

I had that happen on a Linux machine, too. I had to completely
reinstall to get X working again. It's strange that you don't post
about those sorts of experiences with X and Linux...

Peter

Fred Dagg wrote:
> I had that happen on a Linux machine, too. I had to completely
> reinstall to get X working again. It's strange that you don't post
> about those sorts of experiences with X and Linux...

That doesn't sound right.
X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the OS
to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

Peter

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:17:47 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>> I had that happen on a Linux machine, too. I had to completely
>> reinstall to get X working again. It's strange that you don't post
>> about those sorts of experiences with X and Linux...

>That doesn't sound right.
>X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the OS
>to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

And graphics drivers?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <1182071543.63728@ftpsrv1>, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Fred Dagg wrote:
>> I had that happen on a Linux machine, too. I had to completely
>> reinstall to get X working again. It's strange that you don't post
>> about those sorts of experiences with X and Linux...

>That doesn't sound right.
>X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the OS
>to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

Remember ... Fred doesn't know what he's talking about

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <1182071543.63728@ftpsrv1>, Peter wrote:

> X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the
> OS to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

I've _never_ had to do a Linux (or X) reinstall to fix a config or driver
problem. Ever.

And that includes the time I upgraded a SuSE 9.0 installation to a kernel
version that dropped support for the ancient Promise RAID controller card
that the system was booting from, so it was no longer able to boot. That
was fiddly to straighten out, but I was still able to do it without
anything resembling a reinstall.

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <1182071543.63728@ftpsrv1>, Peter wrote:
>
>> X config can be a problem sometimes, but you don't need to reinstall the
>> OS to fix it, and I've never had printer drivers causing a problem with X.

> I've _never_ had to do a Linux (or X) reinstall to fix a config or driver
> problem. Ever.
>
> And that includes the time I upgraded a SuSE 9.0 installation to a kernel
> version that dropped support for the ancient Promise RAID controller card
> that the system was booting from, so it was no longer able to boot. That
> was fiddly to straighten out, but I was still able to do it without
> anything resembling a reinstall.

The thing is, a reinstall would have got it working again. Most windows
problems also can be fixed, but noone bothers since a reinstall is
usually quicker then having to figure out whats gone wrong and to fix
it, whereas linux users are more likley to enjoy the challange of fixing
it rather then restore from an older backup etc and just not break it in
the same way again.