Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Looking for a gaming mouse that lasts

Looking for a gaming mouse that lasts

Jerry

XPD wrote:
> "El Chippy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4671c698$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
>>> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
>>> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>

>> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard dies
>> after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your money back
>> and try another brand.

> Umm.. dont think it would work...
>
> Buy X brand mouse thats not labelled for gaming and it breaks while playing
> a game..... since it wasnt labelled for gaming, then youd lose out.....

Gaming is just moving a cursor and clicking it. If it broke in a
spreadsheet would the warranty be void because it wasn't sold as
specifically fit for spreadsheeting?

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)y says...

> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

You have me scratching my head. I am a heavy gamer plus all the other stuff I
do on the computer, and my Logitech cordless desktop has held up for some 4+
years. The keyboard is still good, I wore away some of the rubber on the mouse
and it started missing and sucking batteries dry quickly so I replaced that.

The new mouse is a Logitech G7 cordless. I have some doubt about those lithium
rechargables, they only seem to last for ~8 hours of use after 5 months. The
mouse looks as good as the day it came out of the box in January. Since I have
two batteries and the charger/receiver is plugged into the usb hub on the
monitor it's not really a big issue though.

Do you let your dog have a go after you knock off for the day?

Anyway, I can heartily recommend the quality of Logitech mice. Get a corded G5
if you want to circumvent all battery issues ...

cheers, -Peter

jack

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:34:54 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)y says...
>>
>> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
>> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
>> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

>You have me scratching my head. I am a heavy gamer plus all the other stuff I
>do on the computer, and my Logitech cordless desktop has held up for some 4+
>years. The keyboard is still good, I wore away some of the rubber on the mouse
>and it started missing and sucking batteries dry quickly so I replaced that.
>
>The new mouse is a Logitech G7 cordless. I have some doubt about those lithium
>rechargables, they only seem to last for ~8 hours of use after 5 months. The
>mouse looks as good as the day it came out of the box in January. Since I have
>two batteries and the charger/receiver is plugged into the usb hub on the
>monitor it's not really a big issue though.
>
>Do you let your dog have a go after you knock off for the day?
>
>Anyway, I can heartily recommend the quality of Logitech mice. Get a corded G5
>if you want to circumvent all battery issues ...
>
>cheers, -Peter

I have one no back button, go for the older model with the back button and I think there is a new
one with it..

Jasen

On 2007-06-15, XPD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "El Chippy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4671c698$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
>>> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
>>> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>

>> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard dies
>> after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your money back
>> and try another brand.

> Umm.. dont think it would work...
>
> Buy X brand mouse thats not labelled for gaming and it breaks while playing
> a game..... since it wasnt labelled for gaming, then youd lose out.....

how can they tell?

Bye.
Jasen

XPD

"jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have one no back button, go for the older model with the back button and
> I think there is a new
> one with it..

There are 2 models of the G5 - the original copper one has 2 buttons, one
scroll which tilts and acts as a 3rd button, and a thumb button.
The newer one has 2 thumb buttons.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/359&cl=nz,en

Jamie Kahn Genet

thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I'm loving my MS Habu which is made my Razer. It's a great shape, the
buttons have just the right click and the weight of the mouse is good. A
great replacement for my Intellimouse Optical.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet

El Chippy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:40:23 +1200, Andrew Lambert wrote:
>
> > El Chippy wrote:
> >>>

> >> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard
> >> dies after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your
> >> money back and try another brand.

> > You are kidding right?

> Not at all, I expect any peripheral I buy to last a minimum of a year. I
> haven't yet had to replace a keyboard or mouse in under two years except
> in case of a spilt drink or damaged cables. If you let manufacturers get
> away with producing **** they will keep on doing it.
>
> My current wireless mouse is almost three years old and is just starting
> to fail (double clicks instead of single clicks sometimes). The paint has
> worn off, the rechargeable battries have been replaced but it still works.
>
> even for a heavy gamer (which i'm not) i would expect 6 months from a
> mouse. unless you use a hammer to push the buttons?

My MS Intellimouse Optical is still going strong after six years, though
it's now on a secondary Mac as I've my new MS Habu. I'd have been
extremely unhappy if it had died in less than a year! Realistically I
expect the average mouse to last at least two years. I have slightly
lower expectations for KBs, but I'd never put up with one dying after
only three months That is absurd.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner
wrote:

> Anyway, I can heartily recommend the quality of Logitech mice.

I was given a Logitech Dual Optical by Atomic MPC magazine a few years ago.
That started developing button trouble.

Currently I have a Logitech G5, also an old Wacom Graphire
tablet+stylus+mouse which has never given me any trouble.

jack

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:56:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner
>wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I can heartily recommend the quality of Logitech mice.

>I was given a Logitech Dual Optical by Atomic MPC magazine a few years ago.
>That started developing button trouble.
>
>Currently I have a Logitech G5, also an old Wacom Graphire
>tablet+stylus+mouse which has never given me any trouble.

I have one of the very first MS ones (Explorer) and that also works 100%, after being replace some
weeks after I brought it by the Brett Roberts, Microsoft here, as some of the very firsts ones had
button problems..

thingy

Andrew Lambert wrote:
> El Chippy wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:41:15 +1200, thingy wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to be wearing out mice...(and keyboards).....kinda concerned that
>>> so far in 2~3 months the things are packing up...I was going to look
>>> at a gaming mouse but at $100+ this is looking like a bad idea....
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>

>> Consumer Guarantees Act, not fit for purpose. If a mouse or keyboard
>> dies after 3 months it was a POS and not fit for purpose. Get your
>> money back and try another brand.

> You are kidding right?

No, I do not see why, especially if you buy a "gaming" mouse....if you
pay 4 or 5 times the cost of a std mouse ($125+), I would expect 2 years
as a reasonable length of life....not 3 months.

Apart from that any item should last a reasonable length of time...the
k-board is old so no biggee (however it is the gaming buttons that have
gone) but the mouse is effectively a few months old....(it was a spare
in a laptop bag).

regards

Thing