Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CPU temperature concern

CPU temperature concern

Nighthawk

My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).

Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
(freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
idle. Has anyone struck this before?

Craig Sutton

"Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
>
> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
> idle. Has anyone struck this before?

Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?

p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

Ross

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:20:40 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
>> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
>> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
>> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
>> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
>> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
>> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
>> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
>>
>> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
>> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
>> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
>> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
>> idle. Has anyone struck this before?
>>

>Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?
>
>p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

AMD? Many of them can handle up to 85 deg C can't they?

Allistar

Nighthawk wrote:

> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
>
> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
> idle. Has anyone struck this before?

Does the heatsink itself feel that hot? That's hot enough to hurt if leaving
your finger on it for a few seconds.

If those temps are correct (and it's not a hardware/firmware/software
fault), I'd suggest either the thermal paste has been incorrectly applied
(Assuming nothing really silly like the CPU cooling fan isn't spinning, but
I wouldn't insult you with that suggestion).

Allistar.

Gordon

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:20:40 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:

> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
>> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
>> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
>> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there was
>> an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink so
>> there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it up
>> and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in the
>> CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
>>
>> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
>> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With the
>> old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures (freezing
>> cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97% idle. Has
>> anyone struck this before?
>>

> Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?
>
> p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the cold.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:20:40 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:
>
>> p.s how can you live in a room thats 8[°]c?

> He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the cold.

8°C is probably outside the rated operating conditions for the PC. It may
not be extreme enough to cause permanent harm, but I'd be surprised if it
worked properly if switched on after being left, say, overnight in those
conditions.

El Chippy

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:02:22 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:
>>
>> He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the
>> cold.

> 8°C is probably outside the rated operating conditions for the PC. It
> may not be extreme enough to cause permanent harm, but I'd be surprised
> if it worked properly if switched on after being left, say, overnight in
> those conditions.

So long as it stays dry, the low temp wont be a problem. Electronic
components like the cold.. except batteries and some electrolytics that
is. So long as condensation is prevented and it will be all good. Hard
drives are specified down to 0C operating, and -40C non-operational.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <466e7357$(E-Mail Removed)>, El Chippy wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:02:22 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:
>>>
>>> He did not say that he lived in that room. The PC does not mind the
>>> cold.

>> 8°C is probably outside the rated operating conditions for the PC. It
>> may not be extreme enough to cause permanent harm, but I'd be surprised
>> if it worked properly if switched on after being left, say, overnight in
>> those conditions.

> So long as it stays dry, the low temp wont be a problem. Electronic
> components like the cold.. except batteries and some electrolytics that
> is.

No they don't. I remember years ago, I got one of the first Mac II machines
in the country (yes, _that_ long ago). My office was in a building that was
supposed to be "temporary" when it was built ... 20 years earlier. I came
in one winter morning and the floppy drive wouldn't work. Later in the day,
after my office had warmed up a bit, it was working fine.

Oh, and that was a Waikato winter, not quite subzero temperatures (at least,
not very often).

Nighthawk

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
>> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
>> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
>> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
>> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
>> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
>> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
>> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
>>
>> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
>> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
>> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
>> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
>> idle. Has anyone struck this before?
>>

>Check for a bios update that may correct a faulty reading?

I have updated it to the latest BIOS.

>p.s how can you live in a room thats 8c?

Picture an eskimo. Other friends survive winter like that. Damn
concrete construction nearly impossible to heat.

Nighthawk

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:11:31 +1200, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nighthawk wrote:
>
>> My ASROCK K7VT2 mobo failed recently and I replaced it with an ASROCK
>> K7VM2, 2nd hand from a friend. After it had been running for about
>> 10hrs I decided to check SpeedFan and was shocked to see it reported
>> the CPU temp at 61C. I removed the large Zalman heatsink and there
>> was an impression of the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink
>> so there is contact. There are no components that could be holding it
>> up and the vcore is 1.71V (should be 1.65V). I can't detect heat in
>> the CPU heatsink but the chipset heatsink is warm (reporting 22C).
>>
>> Thinking Speedfan must be reading a wrong sensor I checked in the BIOS
>> and that was reporting the same 61C (room temp less than 8C). With
>> the old mobo the CPU would be under 30C in these temperatures
>> (freezing cold in the South). It is reading 61C at the moment on 97%
>> idle. Has anyone struck this before?

>Does the heatsink itself feel that hot? That's hot enough to hurt if leaving
>your finger on it for a few seconds.

I can feel warmth in the chipset heatsink, which is 22C but nothing
noticeable in the large Zalman (cnps7000alcu-b1) heatsink on the CPU,
an AMD XP2400+, .13 micron. I have removed the heatsink and redone
the thermal paste, as noted above, so that isn't a problem and the fan
is fine. I suspect the sensor itself must be broken.

I did a large image backup of C: drive today and the temp of the CPU,
while running near to full capacity for 5min switched between 61 and
62. There have been no signs of stress at all, no lockups, etc.

On the old mobo, under full load, even in warm weather it never
reached 50C so I suspect a broken sensor.

CPU Temperature is 77 Deg Celsius Is it okay Ockerr Computer Support 12 12-28-2004 06:39 AM
CPU temperature 10_4 Computer Support 8 11-15-2004 06:01 AM
CPU Temperature Reading - SiSandra and similar Allan Computer Support 11 08-28-2004 06:29 PM
Software to put CPU temperature on task bar Bill Dobbs Computer Support 3 08-23-2003 03:52 AM
CPU Temperature Monitoring? John Computer Support 2 08-21-2003 08:41 PM

Advertisments