Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Safari now available for Windows XP and Vista...

Safari now available for Windows XP and Vista...

Max Burke

Apple has launched a version of its web browser Safari for Windows,
competing head to head with Microsoft's Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.
Chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple "dream big" and wanted to expand the
4.9% market share Safari enjoys.

I thought I'd have a look at it....
I went to http://www.apple.com/safari/ and saw there was a QuickTime Demo
available...

I clicked on the Demo button and did I get to see the demo?

Not a chance!

It says I have to have the latest QuickTime Player v7.1.6 installed.....

WTF!! QuickTime player V7.1.6 IS INSTALLED!!!!!

Feedback sent to Apple...

Found Images

Mutlley

"Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Apple has launched a version of its web browser Safari for Windows,
>competing head to head with Microsoft's Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.
>Chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple "dream big" and wanted to expand the
>4.9% market share Safari enjoys.
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6742439.stm
>
>I thought I'd have a look at it....
>I went to http://www.apple.com/safari/ and saw there was a QuickTime Demo
>available...
>
>I clicked on the Demo button and did I get to see the demo?
>
>Not a chance!
>
>It says I have to have the latest QuickTime Player v7.1.6 installed.....
>
>WTF!! QuickTime player V7.1.6 IS INSTALLED!!!!!
>
>Feedback sent to Apple...

I just did the4 basic download and installed it on Win2K SP4.5 and it
works fine.. No crash. Despite the fact that Apple says Win XP and
Vista only..

Nice little quick browser..

Nathan Mercer

On Jun 12, 1:42 pm, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Apple has launched a version of its web browser Safari for Windows,
> >competing head to head with Microsoft's Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.
> >Chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple "dream big" and wanted to expand the
> >4.9% market share Safari enjoys.

> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6742439.stm

> >I thought I'd have a look at it....
> >I went tohttp://www.apple.com/safari/and saw there was a QuickTime Demo
> >available...

> >I clicked on the Demo button and did I get to see the demo?

> >Not a chance!

> >It says I have to have the latest QuickTime Player v7.1.6 installed.....

> >WTF!! QuickTime player V7.1.6 IS INSTALLED!!!!!

> >Feedback sent to Apple...

> I just did the4 basic download and installed it on Win2K SP4.5 and it
> works fine.. No crash. Despite the fact that Apple says Win XP and
> Vista only..
>
> Nice little quick browser..- Hide quoted text -

4 DOS and 3 remotely executable vulnerabilities in Safari Beta for
Windows with hours of its release

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl.../06/12/0120230

Courtesy of David Maynor and Thor Larholm.

Some of these are pretty remarkable....

Shane

Nathan Mercer wrote:

> On Jun 12, 1:42 pm, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Apple has launched a version of its web browser Safari for Windows,
>> >competing head to head with Microsoft's Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.
>> >Chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple "dream big" and wanted to expand
>> >the 4.9% market share Safari enjoys.

>> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6742439.stm

>> >I thought I'd have a look at it....
>> >I went tohttp://www.apple.com/safari/and saw there was a QuickTime Demo
>> >available...

>> >I clicked on the Demo button and did I get to see the demo?

>> >Not a chance!

>> >It says I have to have the latest QuickTime Player v7.1.6 installed.....

>> >WTF!! QuickTime player V7.1.6 IS INSTALLED!!!!!

>> >Feedback sent to Apple...

>> I just did the4 basic download and installed it on Win2K SP4.5 and it
>> works fine.. No crash. Despite the fact that Apple says Win XP and
>> Vista only..
>>
>> Nice little quick browser..- Hide quoted text -

> 4 DOS and 3 remotely executable vulnerabilities in Safari Beta for
> Windows with hours of its release
>
> http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl.../06/12/0120230
>
> Courtesy of David Maynor and Thor Larholm.
>
> Some of these are pretty remarkable....

You must recommend OpenBSD a lot (2, thats TWO remote holes found in the
last 10, thats TEN years, YEARS, not weeks like, say, windows)

--
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Nathan
Mercer wrote:

> 4 DOS and 3 remotely executable vulnerabilities in Safari Beta for
> Windows with hours of its release

The Dimdows curse strikes again.

EMB

Nathan Mercer wrote:

> 4 DOS and 3 remotely executable vulnerabilities in Safari Beta for
> Windows with hours of its release

And what proportion of Microsoft's dev team worked for how long to find
these

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:33:49 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> 4 DOS and 3 remotely executable vulnerabilities in Safari Beta for Windows
> with hours of its release
>
> http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl.../06/12/0120230
>
> Courtesy of David Maynor and Thor Larholm.

Nice to know that the Windows bugs are being found so that they can be
worked around.

--
Jonathan Walker

bath and a short dress to get into."

Max Burke

> In news: Shane Scribbled:

>> Nathan Mercer wrote:
>> 4 DOS and 3 remotely executable vulnerabilities in Safari Beta for
>> Windows with hours of its release
>> http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl.../06/12/0120230
>> Courtesy of David Maynor and Thor Larholm.
>> Some of these are pretty remarkable....

Thanks Nathan.

> You must recommend OpenBSD a lot (2, thats TWO remote holes found in
> the last 10, thats TEN years, YEARS, not weeks like, say, windows)

Still has a LOT of bugs, just like any other OS.
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&r=1&b=200701&w=2
Care to tell mey what your point is?

As to the Safari bugs, well gee, if I'm planning on trying or using THIS
browser why would I need to be concerned about bugs found in ANY other
browser that I'm NOT [planning on] using?

I'd want to know *** DUH *** about the bugs in this browser! (preferably
BEFORE I try/use it)

BTW as it's a time limited BETA release I wont be trying or using it until
it's final release sometime in October. I'll leave the beta testing to
those who like to 'do' that sort of thing.

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

Shane

Max Burke wrote:

>> In news: Shane Scribbled:

>>> Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>> 4 DOS and 3 remotely executable vulnerabilities in Safari Beta for
>>> Windows with hours of its release
>>> http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl.../06/12/0120230
>>> Courtesy of David Maynor and Thor Larholm.
>>> Some of these are pretty remarkable....

> Thanks Nathan.
>
>> You must recommend OpenBSD a lot (2, thats TWO remote holes found in
>> the last 10, thats TEN years, YEARS, not weeks like, say, windows)

> Still has a LOT of bugs, just like any other OS.
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&r=1&b=200701&w=2
> Care to tell mey what your point is?

In a default install of OpenBSD only *two* remotely exploitable bugs have
been found in *ten* years.

Care to tell me how many remotely exploitable bugs have been found in, say,
windows in the, I'll be nice, 5 years?

> As to the Safari bugs, well gee, if I'm planning on trying or using THIS
> browser why would I need to be concerned about bugs found in ANY other
> browser that I'm NOT [planning on] using?

Why would Nathans *only* comment be the bugs in a rival companys browser?
Dare we talk about the number of bugs that have shown up in his companys
browser?

> I'd want to know *** DUH *** about the bugs in this browser! (preferably
> BEFORE I try/use it)

I take it you dont use IE, or Opera, or Firefox, or Konqueror, or any web
browser then?

> BTW as it's a time limited BETA release I wont be trying or using it until
> it's final release sometime in October. I'll leave the beta testing to
> those who like to 'do' that sort of thing.

I'll wait till a linux version comes out.
Or even better, an OSS version that the lads at OpenBSD can go over with
their finetooth comb.

--
Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a

Bruce Sinclair

In article <f4lqk8$enc$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Nathan
>Mercer wrote:
>
>> 4 DOS and 3 remotely executable vulnerabilities in Safari Beta for
>> Windows with hours of its release

>The Dimdows curse strikes again.

... it does indeed, but this time I'm going to put you in the bit bucket.
Please, less of the advocacy. Let the ignorant discover the joys for
themselves, and not be put off a change by you.