Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Compaq Presario sr1600an

Reply
Thread Tools

Compaq Presario sr1600an

 
 
J.Wilson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2007
boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
found the problem could be caused by a windows update
changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt
work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

John
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2007
J.Wilson wrote:

> boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
> did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
> the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
> install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
> found the problem could be caused by a windows update
> changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt
> work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
>
> John


Does XP not have "step by step" or "safe mode" option during booting no
more?

Hmm according to http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm debugging
mode looks like somewhere for you to start.

--
Q: What's yellow, normed, and complete?
A: A Bananach space.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2007
In message <466b7734$(E-Mail Removed)>, J.Wilson wrote:

> boots to a blank screen.


Always handy to keep a Linux live CD around for troubleshooting purposes.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2007
J.Wilson wrote:
> boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
> did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
> the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
> install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
> found the problem could be caused by a windows update
> changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt work.
> Any suggestions would be really appreciated.


You can do a format recovery from the f10 screen. Pick advanced options
I think.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2007
Jerry wrote:
> J.Wilson wrote:
>> boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
>> did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
>> the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
>> install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
>> found the problem could be caused by a windows update
>> changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt
>> work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

>
> You can do a format recovery from the f10 screen. Pick advanced options
> I think.


Further to that, a non-destructive f10 recovery seems to save the
registry, so any errors you have before you have afterwards. The format
goes back to factory image.
 
Reply With Quote
 
J.Wilson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2007

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:466b9da7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jerry wrote:
>> J.Wilson wrote:
>>> boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
>>> did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
>>> the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
>>> install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
>>> found the problem could be caused by a windows update
>>> changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt work.
>>> Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

>>
>> You can do a format recovery from the f10 screen. Pick advanced options
>> I think.

>
> Further to that, a non-destructive f10 recovery seems to save the
> registry, so any errors you have before you have afterwards. The format
> goes back to factory image


Exactly. What about the destructive option? I don't want to try it if
it is going to do the same thing. Also computer dos.nt have a floppy
a: drive so how to format and instal xp afresh?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2007
J.Wilson wrote:


> Exactly. What about the destructive option? I don't want to try it if
> it is going to do the same thing. Also computer dos.nt have a floppy
> a: drive so how to format and instal xp afresh?


Boot off an install CD, delete all the partitions, and then create a new
one and format it is how I normally do it, sometimes that doesnt clear
crap from the MBR if the disc has has linux on it with one of its boot
menus.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2007
Richard wrote:
> J.Wilson wrote:
>
>
>> Exactly. What about the destructive option? I don't want to try it if
>> it is going to do the same thing. Also computer dos.nt have a floppy
>> a: drive so how to format and instal xp afresh?

>
> Boot off an install CD, delete all the partitions, and then create a new
> one and format it is how I normally do it, sometimes that doesnt clear
> crap from the MBR if the disc has has linux on it with one of its boot
> menus.


Except that on a Presario or a lot of name brand PCs that will delete
the recovery partition.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-10-2007
J.Wilson wrote:
>
> "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:466b9da7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jerry wrote:
>>> J.Wilson wrote:
>>>> boots to a blank screen. I did the F10 restore system thing which
>>>> did'nt help. The computer still boots to a blank screen with just
>>>> the mouse pointer showing. Trying the repair function from winxp
>>>> install disk just brought me to a c:\windows prompt. Googling I
>>>> found the problem could be caused by a windows update
>>>> changing the lsass.exe file but the fix to change this file did'nt
>>>> work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
>>>
>>> You can do a format recovery from the f10 screen. Pick advanced
>>> options I think.

>>
>> Further to that, a non-destructive f10 recovery seems to save the
>> registry, so any errors you have before you have afterwards. The
>> format goes back to factory image

>
> Exactly. What about the destructive option? I don't want to try it if
> it is going to do the same thing. Also computer dos.nt have a floppy
> a: drive so how to format and instal xp afresh?


The destructive option will leave the recovery partition intact, but
format the user partition and reload the factory image. After that the
PC will be as it came from the factory. If you have a hard drive
problem it might not work, but it is probably your best chance at this stage
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compaq presario 1500 and Firefox PP Firefox 0 02-22-2005 10:15 AM
Clearing the bios password for a compaq presario D.L. Man Computer Support 3 12-08-2003 06:34 PM
vga driver compaq presario 7592 Frans Computer Support 1 11-16-2003 06:40 PM
Compaq Presario 5000 and ATI Radeon 9200 anc Computer Support 1 09-12-2003 10:19 PM
Compaq Presario midi tower case Boomer Computer Support 10 06-24-2003 12:49 PM



Advertisments