Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux Foundation engineer moves to Microsoft

Linux Foundation engineer moves to Microsoft

Mickey Mouse

Leading Linux Foundation engineer leaves to take on major role in
Microsoft's Interoperability Lab.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070609/tc_cmp/199902850

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mickey Mouse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Leading Linux Foundation engineer leaves to take on major role in
> Microsoft's Interoperability Lab.
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070609/tc_cmp/199902850

So what.... the people who do 99% of the work are most likely employed
as full time programmers somewhere in industry, be it Adobe, Microsoft,
Apple,Redhat, etc etc etc.

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 22:10:36 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mickey Mouse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Leading Linux Foundation engineer leaves to take on major role in
>> Microsoft's Interoperability Lab.
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070609/tc_cmp/199902850

>So what.... the people who do 99% of the work are most likely employed
>as full time programmers somewhere in industry, be it Adobe, Microsoft,
>Apple,Redhat, etc etc etc.

LOL!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for Microsoft,
it's worth starting with this item
<http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few years
ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change tabs to
spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so ****s the build process!!!".

It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid individuals;
but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their individual
intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective stupidity.

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:32:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> exclaimed:

>If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for Microsoft,
>it's worth starting with this item
><http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
>the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few years
>ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change tabs to
>spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so ****s the build process!!!".
>
>It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid individuals;
>but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their individual
>intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective stupidity.

I've seen some pretty stupid things in OSS code, too, Lawrence.

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for Microsoft,
> it's worth starting with this item
> <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
> the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few years
> ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change tabs to
> spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so ****s the build process!!!".

LOL! I bet if you look at OSS code you'd see similar. It's a common
programmer trait. One (non-OSS) project that I worked on many years ago
had a piece of code that was commented "Cater for morons". Another piece
had a comment "If it survived all those tests and arrived here, it's a
freaking miracle!"

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Shane

Enkidu wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> >
>> If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
>> Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
>> <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
>> the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
>> years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
>> tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so ****s the build
>> process!!!".
>>

> LOL! I bet if you look at OSS code you'd see similar. It's a common
> programmer trait. One (non-OSS) project that I worked on many years ago
> had a piece of code that was commented "Cater for morons". Another piece
> had a comment "If it survived all those tests and arrived here, it's a
> freaking miracle!"
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

The last piece of code I handed in for school had the comment ( in a catch)
"If it makes it here the technical term is zOmG!!!!!"

--
Q: Why do mathematicians often confuse Christmas and Halloween?
A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25.

Gordon

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:34:13 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:32:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> exclaimed:
>
>>If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
>>Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
>><http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
>>the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
>>years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
>>tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so ****s the build
>>process!!!".
>>
>>It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid
>>individuals; but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their
>>individual intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective
>>stupidity.

> I've seen some pretty stupid things in OSS code, too, Lawrence.

So did you tell the authors, so that they could improve on their code? I
do hope so. For you suggestion would have been considered seriously.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <466b80bb$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> >
>> If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
>> Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
>> <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
>> the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
>> years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
>> tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so ****s the build
>> process!!!".
>>

> LOL! I bet if you look at OSS code you'd see similar.

By all means point up some examples.

Fred Dagg

On 10 Jun 2007 05:10:32 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:34:13 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:32:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> exclaimed:
>>
>>>If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
>>>Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
>>><http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
>>>the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
>>>years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
>>>tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so ****s the build
>>>process!!!".
>>>
>>>It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid
>>>individuals; but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their
>>>individual intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective
>>>stupidity.

>> I've seen some pretty stupid things in OSS code, too, Lawrence.

>So did you tell the authors, so that they could improve on their code? I
>do hope so. For you suggestion would have been considered seriously.

Why bother? Whilst I am a software developer by trade, the software I
use is a tool, not a religion. I'd prefer it just work, thank you.