Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux user signs up for Microsoft patent immunity

Linux user signs up for Microsoft patent immunity

Mickey Mouse

LG signs a deal with Microsoft, granting it immunity from patent legal
action over its use of Linux.

http://informationweek.com/news/show...leID=199902101

peterwn

Mickey Mouse wrote:
> LG signs a deal with Microsoft, granting it immunity from patent legal
> action over its use of Linux.
>
> http://informationweek.com/news/show...leID=199902101

What this tells us, Mr M$ astroturfer and shill, is that LG were
probably about to ream M$, or that M$ wanted some big favours out of LG,
so M$ tacked the Linux aspect on to the deal.

It is interesting is not it, that M$ has refused to give the 250 or so
patent numbers in question, claiming that it was 'too busy' to deal with
the fallout. The real problem IMO is that they are just full of hot air.

There must be a time when public and private bodies in NZ, as well as
churches, charities, schools, etc says 'enough is enough' - we are not
going to do business with protection racketeers any more.

Abstract Reasoning

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:37:01 +1200, peterwn wrote:

> There must be a time when public and private bodies in NZ, as well as
> churches, charities, schools, etc says 'enough is enough' - we are not
> going to do business with protection racketeers any more.

I note that Xandros has joined Suse as a Microsoft "partner".

Gordon

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:17:04 +1200, Abstract Reasoning wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:37:01 +1200, peterwn wrote:
>
>> There must be a time when public and private bodies in NZ, as well as
>> churches, charities, schools, etc says 'enough is enough' - we are not
>> going to do business with protection racketeers any more.

> I note that Xandros has joined Suse as a Microsoft "partner".

Good, we need to get to the wire.

The fight is on.

First they ignore you
Then they laugh at you
Then they fight you
Then you win

BrianM

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:17:04 +1200, Abstract Reasoning wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:37:01 +1200, peterwn wrote:
>
>> There must be a time when public and private bodies in NZ, as well as
>> churches, charities, schools, etc says 'enough is enough' - we are not
>> going to do business with protection racketeers any more.

> I note that Xandros has joined Suse as a Microsoft "partner".

Now that is interesting - it puts Ms into a win-win position.
It can now dictate to the business community what Linux
systems are "MS patent protected", and get a cut. If the 2
current "partners" go titsup, then that's 2 down and 3 to go - right on
target, the other 3 being Mandrake Red Hat and Linspire. I don't
think Ms is interested in the non-commercial distros like Debian, Slack
Ubuntu etc - can't see them hurting it commercially.
The new version of the GPL is going to be interesting. Here's a
paraphrased section from
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...rosoft_novell/
"the GPL 3 will feature a clause discouraging other Linux companies from
following the example of Novell and entering into protection agreements. Moglen
said: "If you make deals with a party having patents, to pay tribute to
that party, in return for protecting some but not all of your customers...
you are violating the license, and you must stop distributing
altogether.""

Will the remaining commercial Linux distros have more
balls than the other two? - I can't see it.

Interesting times ahead.
brianM