Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > video card(s) in a future upgrade

video card(s) in a future upgrade

Peter Huebner

I am thinking that I may upgrade my current Barton system some time towards the
end of the year. Now here's what I am scratching my head about: would it be a
better idea to get a couple of nvidia 8500 cards at ~150 ea. and sli them -
with the added attraction of having the option of buying silent ones without
fan - or would a single card at $350-400 out-perform these?
Not prepared to throw $1000 at bleeding edge stuff, so don't even suggest an
8800

I've no idea, in the general scheme of things, how a GeForce 8500 would stack
up against my current Radeon 9600xt even - you don't see these cards compared.
A.t.m. I have a couple of games where the existing card starts lagging, other
than that it's plenty good enough for me.

-P.

XPD

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...

> I am thinking that I may upgrade my current Barton system some time
> towards the
> end of the year. Now here's what I am scratching my head about: would it
> be a
> better idea to get a couple of nvidia 8500 cards at ~150 ea. and sli
> them -
> with the added attraction of having the option of buying silent ones
> without
> fan - or would a single card at $350-400 out-perform these?
> Not prepared to throw $1000 at bleeding edge stuff, so don't even suggest
> an
> 8800
>
> I've no idea, in the general scheme of things, how a GeForce 8500 would
> stack
> up against my current Radeon 9600xt even - you don't see these cards
> compared.
> A.t.m. I have a couple of games where the existing card starts lagging,
> other
> than that it's plenty good enough for me.

May be of some assistance.... if not, then the guys in the forums are pretty
onto it and would give you a straight answer

http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77334

Peter Huebner

In article <f3tfnt$puv$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> May be of some assistance.... if not, then the guys in the forums are pretty
> onto it and would give you a straight answer
>
> http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77334

Had a look, they have interesting things to say on different cards, but those
didn't answer my question re: sli vs. single card. But the link gave me an
idea: I headed over to the Gameplanet forums where I can get instant posting
access and put the question there. Consensus was: not feasible. Apparently
minor cards like the 8500 don't come close, and sli doesn't do much to help
them along. Now I know

cheers, -Peter

cgimofo

Peter Huebner wrote:
> I've no idea, in the general scheme of things, how a GeForce 8500 would stack
> up against my current Radeon 9600xt even - you don't see these cards compared.
> A.t.m. I have a couple of games where the existing card starts lagging, other
> than that it's plenty good enough for me.

i have a silent graphics card and am keeping it 4eva its an XFX
7950GT w/512MB... $500 inc. i think about as grunty as you can get for
silent cooling? beats my old MSI 7800GTX which was horrendously noisy
when it got hot...