Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > nz Domain cancelled; how long/how to get?

nz Domain cancelled; how long/how to get?

Aaron Lawrence

Hello all,

An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
as not, and some as "pending release".
After a lot of searching I found notes on domainz that
there is a 90 day holding period before the domain is
released - is that correct? Is this different from other
countries?

Is there a way to book in advance that I want to buy
that domain as soon as it becomes available? I thought
this was fairly common, but maybe not ...

/domain newbie

Thanks!
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Hello all,
>
>An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
>while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
>as not, and some as "pending release".
>After a lot of searching I found notes on domainz that
>there is a 90 day holding period before the domain is
>released - is that correct? Is this different from other
>countries?
>
>Is there a way to book in advance that I want to buy
>that domain as soon as it becomes available? I thought
>this was fairly common, but maybe not ...
>
>/domain newbie
>
>Thanks!

Yup, there's a 90-day "pending release" holding period when the owner
can get their domain back. After that, it's a free for all.

You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/

Only problem with them is that it can be expensive (they are actually
auctioning domains that aren't even theres), and there's no guarantee
that they'll actually snazzle it.

Vista

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
>>while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
>>as not, and some as "pending release".
>>After a lot of searching I found notes on domainz that
>>there is a 90 day holding period before the domain is
>>released - is that correct? Is this different from other
>>countries?
>>
>>Is there a way to book in advance that I want to buy
>>that domain as soon as it becomes available? I thought
>>this was fairly common, but maybe not ...
>>
>>/domain newbie
>>
>>Thanks!

> Yup, there's a 90-day "pending release" holding period when the owner
> can get their domain back. After that, it's a free for all.
>
> You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/
>
> Only problem with them is that it can be expensive (they are actually
> auctioning domains that aren't even theres), and there's no guarantee
> that they'll actually snazzle it.

I found that website hopeless. That is because I managed to get a domain by
just waiting for it to expire and then registering it manally(within a few
minutes after it had been released), and managed to get it before the people
who were bidding it on that website, and it was cheaper too.

Vista

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
>>while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
>>as not, and some as "pending release".
>>After a lot of searching I found notes on domainz that
>>there is a 90 day holding period before the domain is
>>released - is that correct? Is this different from other
>>countries?
>>
>>Is there a way to book in advance that I want to buy
>>that domain as soon as it becomes available? I thought
>>this was fairly common, but maybe not ...
>>
>>/domain newbie
>>
>>Thanks!

> Yup, there's a 90-day "pending release" holding period when the owner
> can get their domain back. After that, it's a free for all.
>
> You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/
>
> Only problem with them is that it can be expensive (they are actually
> auctioning domains that aren't even theres), and there's no guarantee
> that they'll actually snazzle it.

Another thing I have found is that people who intentionally buy domains for
profiting from them, intentionally let their domains expire, solely so they
can see how much interest there is in someone buying the domain, and how
much someone would pay. Then at the last minute before the 90 day pending
release date is up, they will then renew their domain again.

El Chippy

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 13:24:12 +1200, Vista wrote:

> Another thing I have found is that people who intentionally buy domains for
> profiting from them, intentionally let their domains expire, solely so they
> can see how much interest there is in someone buying the domain, and how
> much someone would pay. Then at the last minute before the 90 day pending
> release date is up, they will then renew their domain again.

also saves them 89days worth of registration costs IIRC.

Craig Whitmore

"Vista" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>>
>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
>>>while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
>>>as not, and some as "pending release".

Why don't you contact the old owners of the domain and ask if you can buy it
from them. then all they have to do is contact their registrar, uncancel it
and then get them to do a name change.

Thanks

Chris Hope

Vista wrote:

> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:59:36 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>>
>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>An .co.nz domain I want has been cancelled a little
>>>while back. Some registrars report it as available, some
>>>as not, and some as "pending release".
>>>After a lot of searching I found notes on domainz that
>>>there is a 90 day holding period before the domain is
>>>released - is that correct? Is this different from other
>>>countries?
>>>
>>>Is there a way to book in advance that I want to buy
>>>that domain as soon as it becomes available? I thought
>>>this was fairly common, but maybe not ...
>>>
>>>/domain newbie
>>>
>>>Thanks!

>> Yup, there's a 90-day "pending release" holding period when the owner
>> can get their domain back. After that, it's a free for all.
>>
>> You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/
>>
>> Only problem with them is that it can be expensive (they are actually
>> auctioning domains that aren't even theres), and there's no guarantee
>> that they'll actually snazzle it.
>>

> I found that website hopeless. That is because I managed to get a
> domain by just waiting for it to expire and then registering it
> manally(within a few minutes after it had been released), and managed
> to get it before the people who were bidding it on that website, and
> it was cheaper too.

You were lucky. I've tried that before myself at least a couple of times
and have never been successful. There are also at least two other sites
you can attempt to buy expired domains through but expireddomains is
the most popular.

Rob

"El Chippy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4660c89e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 13:24:12 +1200, Vista wrote:
>

>> Another thing I have found is that people who intentionally buy domains
>> for
>> profiting from them, intentionally let their domains expire, solely so
>> they
>> can see how much interest there is in someone buying the domain, and how
>> much someone would pay. Then at the last minute before the 90 day pending
>> release date is up, they will then renew their domain again.

> also saves them 89days worth of registration costs IIRC.

I don't think it does, becuase the domain is registered for the expiry date,
instead of from the date it renewed.

If you look at the expired domains website, there is currently a domain
called copy.co.nz . The owner of this domain, owns a lot of these generic
types of domains, and will renew this domain before it is released. I know
becuase I have tried to register a few of them, but they are always renewed
before the 90 days are up. Therefore the people bidding for it are creating
a market value for the domain, ( the owner may even be bidding for it
themselves) but people won't be able to register it through expired domains
website.

Aaron Lawrence

On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
by the name of Fred Dagg exclaimed:
> You could try: http://www.expireddomains.co.nz/

Thanks for the tip! For some reason they don't list the
domain I'm after (which was cancelled towards the start
of May)... perhaps they don't detect actively cancelled
(as opposed to expired) domains.

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

Aaron Lawrence

On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
by the name of Craig Whitmore exclaimed:
> Why don't you contact the old owners of the domain and ask if you can buy it
> from them. then all they have to do is contact their registrar, uncancel it
> and then get them to do a name change.

Might try that - though they seem to have gone out of
business as far as I can tell from their registration
records (original site no longer up)