Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Vista and device drivers.

Windows Vista and device drivers.

steve

This laptop I bought with Vista iproved dramtically when I added 1GB
of RAM to it. With 1.5GB of RAM, Vista runs almost as well as WinXP
does with 512MB.

The other issue that continues o be a serious hassle the lack of Vista
device drivers.

I'm in Canada for the next few months (since mid-April). I bought a
(very popular here, at least) Motorola Bluetooth dongle that doesn't
work with Vista - hangs the system HARD within seconds of being
inserted if you installed the XP drivers. If you try to boot with the
dongle inserted, the system fails to start and you have to remove the
power and battery to get it to re-boot.

I also bought a Samsung SPH-a900 mobile phone (mp3, pics, vid) that
can't talk to Vista - so have to e-mail pics and photos to myself to
get them out of the camera.....and the Unlimited data feature cost me C
$7/month, plus 50 cents / file.....which is MUCH better than C$50 /
MB.....but I'd rather the USB connection just worked....and of course
can't use Bluetotth either...as they doesn't work on Vista with the
device mentioned above......and I still can't get any songs ON to the
phone....

These are te only two external devices I've tried to add...and neither
works.....

I have been assured by both companies that they will have Vista
support....at some stage, but "Vista just came out".....(of nowhere, I
suppose from their comments...)

I could have returned the dongle, but they had lead me to belive the
drivers were a weak away.....then a week later said that wasn't
true.....and I've been too busy to chase it up. The dongle was
cheapish.

For what it's worth, the phone *almost* works with Xandros 4.1
Linux.....I can see the directory and the files, but when i try to
copy files off the phone, the File Manager can't do it......and has an
error. So Samsung must be doing something non-standard there with
respect to MSS support in the phone.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed) om>, steve
wrote:

> The other issue that continues [to] be a serious hassle the lack of Vista
> device drivers.

With closed-source you are always prone to falling into this chicken-and-egg
trap: vendors are reluctant to release apps and drivers because they don't
see user demand, while users are reluctant to embrace the new platform
because they can't get vendor support.

Will Spencer

On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:53:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed) om>, steve
> wrote:
>
>> The other issue that continues [to] be a serious hassle the lack of Vista
>> device drivers.

> With closed-source you are always prone to falling into this chicken-and-egg
> trap: vendors are reluctant to release apps and drivers because they don't
> see user demand, while users are reluctant to embrace the new platform
> because they can't get vendor support.

Hmm, I installed 64 bit Windows Vista Ultimate a couple of months back and
have not had a problem with device drivers (yet!)

-ws