Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Laptop Clients with intermittent network/web access

Laptop Clients with intermittent network/web access

=?Utf-8?B?R2FyZXRo?=

Hello,

My setup:
PowerEdge Server, Enterasys Acess points, built in Dell wireless cards, Dell
Inspiron laptops (x4), Cable internet, 2 story office building.

Problem:
When connecting wirelessly to the network the 4 latest laptop additions are
having an intermittent problem connecting to the server (specifically network
shares) and browsing the internet. This only happens in wireless mode and
only with the new laptops. The other 20 laptops (older Dell inpirons) connect
with no issues.

The new laptops will receive an ip address and all the correct
configurations (DNS, Gateway etc...varified with ipconfig) and will
authenticate and log into the domain (no error msg logging in) but will
sometimes be unable to ping computers (including the gateway and server),
connect to shares, or go online. They are setup the same as the other laptops
that connect and they work perfectly when plugged into a wired connection.

Strange thing is sometimes we can coax the laptops to work by:

1. logging in as local administrator
2. Browsing network neighborhood (sometimes the other computers show
up...sometimes not)
3. clicking on IE

after the exact above steps the laptops will 8 out of 10 times work
correctly and then we can log into the domain and have file/web access until
the next reboot!
If we try the same steps wile logged into the domain...nothing...it only
works with local admin!

I am stumped by this one...anyone have clues?