Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Another glorious blow against the reviled copyright violators

Another glorious blow against the reviled copyright violators

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Police have swooped on a Polish web site that was collecting subtitles for
imported movies
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070518-user-generated-subtitles-lead-to-polish-german-police-raids.html>.
Officially-sanctioned subtitles were taking too long to become available,
so some enterprising folks decided to put them together for themselves.

What do you think: is this morally right or wrong?

Jonathan Walker

On Mon, 21 May 2007 16:24:08 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Officially-sanctioned subtitles were taking too long to become available,
> so some enterprising folks decided to put them together for themselves.
>
> What do you think: is this morally right or wrong?

I think that there was nothing wrong with that.

No officially produced translations were being made available, and so
members of the public produced their own.

If the translations were reasonable translations then the film companies
should be thankful that someone has done the work for them.

--
Jonathan Walker

bath and a short dress to get into."