Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is my old ADSL router dying?

Is my old ADSL router dying?

frederick

Dynalink RTA1320

Seems intermittent and fairly random, I lose internet connection, but
also can't connect to router configuration page via web browser - or it
is really slow to connect. To check it wasn't my network card,
disconnected ethernet cable, connected via USB, and same deal - after
resetting the router with power, it connects fine for a while, then
loses connection and I can't get to the web interface. But I can still
ping the router <1ms when it times out trying to get through to the
configuration page.
There are apparently some network issues at present (slingshot), but
adsl/ppp ethernet or usb lights on the router are on/green, and
shouldn't I still be able to get thorough to the router regardless of
the adsl network status - or have I missed something?

Richard

frederick wrote:
> Dynalink RTA1320
>
> Seems intermittent and fairly random, I lose internet connection, but
> also can't connect to router configuration page via web browser - or it
> is really slow to connect. To check it wasn't my network card,
> disconnected ethernet cable, connected via USB, and same deal - after
> resetting the router with power, it connects fine for a while, then
> loses connection and I can't get to the web interface. But I can still
> ping the router <1ms when it times out trying to get through to the
> configuration page.
> There are apparently some network issues at present (slingshot), but
> adsl/ppp ethernet or usb lights on the router are on/green, and
> shouldn't I still be able to get thorough to the router regardless of
> the adsl network status - or have I missed something?

Sounds just like ours here, happens more when its asked to do its job
and transfer data, daily resets are common, yet dynajunk claim there is
nothing wrong with these routers despite this happening on several ones
here and at other peoples places.

Dany Wu

Richard wrote:
> frederick wrote:
>> Dynalink RTA1320
>>
>> Seems intermittent and fairly random, I lose internet connection, but
>> also can't connect to router configuration page via web browser - or it
>> is really slow to connect. To check it wasn't my network card,
>> disconnected ethernet cable, connected via USB, and same deal - after
>> resetting the router with power, it connects fine for a while, then
>> loses connection and I can't get to the web interface. But I can still
>> ping the router <1ms when it times out trying to get through to the
>> configuration page.
>> There are apparently some network issues at present (slingshot), but
>> adsl/ppp ethernet or usb lights on the router are on/green, and
>> shouldn't I still be able to get thorough to the router regardless of
>> the adsl network status - or have I missed something?

> Sounds just like ours here, happens more when its asked to do its job
> and transfer data, daily resets are common, yet dynajunk claim there is
> nothing wrong with these routers despite this happening on several ones
> here and at other peoples places.

My mate also had similar problems. They got their original unit replaced
by Paradise but the replacement started crapping out too. For some
reason I thought about specifying DNS in each machine's LAN config and
that fixed it!!

Not sure what the heck is wrong with the router but it's working just
fine with this little hack. Since they only had two machines I didn't
bother using DHCP anyway.

Worth a try with your unit perhaps?

D.

frederick

Dany Wu wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> frederick wrote:
>>> Dynalink RTA1320
>>>
>>> Seems intermittent and fairly random, I lose internet connection, but
>>> also can't connect to router configuration page via web browser - or it
>>> is really slow to connect. To check it wasn't my network card,
>>> disconnected ethernet cable, connected via USB, and same deal - after
>>> resetting the router with power, it connects fine for a while, then
>>> loses connection and I can't get to the web interface. But I can still
>>> ping the router <1ms when it times out trying to get through to the
>>> configuration page.
>>> There are apparently some network issues at present (slingshot), but
>>> adsl/ppp ethernet or usb lights on the router are on/green, and
>>> shouldn't I still be able to get thorough to the router regardless of
>>> the adsl network status - or have I missed something?

>> Sounds just like ours here, happens more when its asked to do its job
>> and transfer data, daily resets are common, yet dynajunk claim there is
>> nothing wrong with these routers despite this happening on several ones
>> here and at other peoples places.

> My mate also had similar problems. They got their original unit replaced
> by Paradise but the replacement started crapping out too. For some
> reason I thought about specifying DNS in each machine's LAN config and
> that fixed it!!
>
> Not sure what the heck is wrong with the router but it's working just
> fine with this little hack. Since they only had two machines I didn't
> bother using DHCP anyway.
>
> Worth a try with your unit perhaps?
>
> D.

I might give that a try.
Of course since posting, the router / connection is working fine.
I'm thinking that perhaps there's nothing wrong with the router.
Perhaps the reason I can't get through to it is when there is a network
problem, the router is simply busy trying to obtain the dns address.

Craig Shore

On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:04:45 +1200, frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I might give that a try.
>Of course since posting, the router / connection is working fine.
>I'm thinking that perhaps there's nothing wrong with the router.
>Perhaps the reason I can't get through to it is when there is a network
>problem, the router is simply busy trying to obtain the dns address.

How many machines do you have behind it? If more than just your one it could be
getting hit hard by another machine.

frederick

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:04:45 +1200, frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I might give that a try.
>> Of course since posting, the router / connection is working fine.
>> I'm thinking that perhaps there's nothing wrong with the router.
>> Perhaps the reason I can't get through to it is when there is a network
>> problem, the router is simply busy trying to obtain the dns address.

> How many machines do you have behind it? If more than just your one it could be
> getting hit hard by another machine.

Only one - the RTA 1320 is a single port (ethernet or usb) router.
I did have a faulty one (replaced at no charge), but it failed
self-diagnostics - came up with error codes on the status lights. This
one passes fine every time.

Richard

Dany Wu wrote:

> My mate also had similar problems. They got their original unit replaced
> by Paradise but the replacement started crapping out too. For some
> reason I thought about specifying DNS in each machine's LAN config and
> that fixed it!!
>
> Not sure what the heck is wrong with the router but it's working just
> fine with this little hack. Since they only had two machines I didn't
> bother using DHCP anyway.

We have a DNS server inside on the network, and even IP addresses wont
work once its decided to be difficult.

adsl router to adsl router czar Cisco 2 05-01-2007 05:42 AM
Setting up an ADSL modem router with a wrielss router =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZTMxMTA=?= Wireless Networking 0 04-11-2006 02:04 PM
Sweex ADSL Annex-A wired ADSL Router Switch Alex Clarke Computer Support 2 10-15-2005 11:34 PM
ADSL router as ATA without ADSL bit? Adam Aglionby UK VOIP 2 08-24-2005 12:07 AM

Advertisments