Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > xnet broadband problem rephrased

xnet broadband problem rephrased

blanking

Ok, I think I need to rephrase my call for help on the xnet broadband.
For over 2 months now I have been getting very slow response times when I
request data from a website, far slower than you would expect even with 56k
dialup but once data is been sent to me there is no problem it flows at a
good steady rate, the slowness is only on response from a website once I
have requested new data. Other people on this newsgroup have indicated no
problems such as mine with xnet and I am assuming they are not xnet
employees.
Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have) that the
problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out to as far as the
street connection what do people think could be the cause of the problem?

peterwn

On May 19, 3:43 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
> Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have) that the
> problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out to as far as the

Have another think. When I hear that sort of statement, alarm bells
start to ring. I tried to help a woman get broadband going. I
unplugged all phones, still no go. I asked her if there were any
other jacks in the house - she assured me there were not. At that
time I had to go elsewhere, so I suggested she get help. She
forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and then
(I had brought a few spare filters along just in case).

blanking

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On May 19, 3:43 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
>> Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have) that the
>> problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out to as far as the

> Have another think. When I hear that sort of statement, alarm bells
> start to ring. I tried to help a woman get broadband going. I
> unplugged all phones, still no go. I asked her if there were any
> other jacks in the house - she assured me there were not. At that
> time I had to go elsewhere, so I suggested she get help. She
> forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
> Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and then
> (I had brought a few spare filters along just in case).

You will just have to trust me on this one, some people do know what they
are talking about you know but it will take a hell of a lot of wasted time
and effort to prove my logical deductions so best you trust me on this one
because you know your statement also rings alarm bells with me so best we
just ignore them and move to the next step.

Peter

blanking wrote:
> For over 2 months now I have been getting very slow response times when I
> request data from a website

Is the slow response the same whether you use a URL (like www.google.com) or
a IP address (like 64.233.183.147)?

Miguel

On Sat, 19 May 2007 16:39:23 +1200, Peter wrote:

> blanking wrote:
>> I have been getting very slow response times when
>> I request data from a website

Doesn't that sound like you're going through a proxy. Especially if, once
the connection is up, you're speed is fine. Just a thought.

Miguel

jdm

Similar here in New Windsor ( Auckland ) about 3 - 5 sec delay from click.
Mine is a full telecom install with Lynksys router
Has been like this for some time, Xnet helpdesk near impossible to get hold
of or any decent answers.
Left a message at approximately 10.30 am after being on old for 22 mins. I
did not get a call back.
Last time I had a problem it was fixed after the last telecom outage.

Cheers
John

"blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
news:464e7257$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I think I need to rephrase my call for help on the xnet broadband.
> For over 2 months now I have been getting very slow response times when I
> request data from a website, far slower than you would expect even with
> 56k dialup but once data is been sent to me there is no problem it flows
> at a good steady rate, the slowness is only on response from a website
> once I have requested new data. Other people on this newsgroup have
> indicated no problems such as mine with xnet and I am assuming they are
> not xnet employees.
> Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have) that the
> problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out to as far as the
> street connection what do people think could be the cause of the problem?

~misfit~

blanking wrote:
> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > On May 19, 3:43 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
> > > Now assuming that I have determined beyond doubt(which I have)
> > > that the problem does not lie at my end or with my phone line out
> > > to as far as the

> > Have another think. When I hear that sort of statement, alarm bells
> > start to ring. I tried to help a woman get broadband going. I
> > unplugged all phones, still no go. I asked her if there were any
> > other jacks in the house - she assured me there were not. At that
> > time I had to go elsewhere, so I suggested she get help. She
> > forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
> > Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and
> > then (I had brought a few spare filters along just in case).
> >

> You will just have to trust me on this one, some people do know what
> they are talking about you know but it will take a hell of a lot of
> wasted time and effort to prove my logical deductions so best you
> trust me on this one because you know your statement also rings alarm
> bells with me so best we just ignore them and move to the next step.

****, you really *are* as arrogant as an Aussie aren't you? I've read a few
of your posts and /thought/ you were the sort of person I wouldn't want to
know and probably a wife-beater (if you've caught one). This latest reply to
someone who's trying to help you confirms it.

**** off goose-brain. Pay someone to fix your connection if you can't be
half-decent to people who are trying to help you free. No wonder the
'rephrased' thread part. the last one got a bit sour.
--
Shaun.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, peterwn
wrote:

> She [had]
> forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
> Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and then

Broadband would stop the phone from working, the phone wouldn't stop the
broadband from working.

El Chippy

On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:37:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, peterwn
> wrote:
>
>> She [had]
>> forgotten a jack in a spare bedroom with a phone plugged in it!
>> Otherwise her broad band would have been up and running there and then

> Broadband would stop the phone from working, the phone wouldn't stop the
> broadband from working.

Actually, you'd be wrong there, there is a phone in this house that if
plugged in without a filter kills the DSL. either will not connect at all
or connects at < 240kbps

blanking

"Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f2lvbb$i0d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 19 May 2007 16:39:23 +1200, Peter wrote:
>
>> blanking wrote:
>>> I have been getting very slow response times when
>>> I request data from a website

> Doesn't that sound like you're going through a proxy. Especially if, once
> the connection is up, you're speed is fine. Just a thought.
>
> Miguel

Thanks but i am not using a proxy.