Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Xnet broadband at dial-up speed for over 2 months now

Re: Xnet broadband at dial-up speed for over 2 months now

peterwn

On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
>
> Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is not
> fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

Was it slow from inception or has it just got slow? You may have a
long grotty line from the exchange in which case AFAIK Telecom will
upon request terminate the service and refund.

Have you got an unfiltered device or extension bell, etc lurking
around?

The other thing to look out for is whether your internal phone wiring
is old and grotty (especially if it is '3 wire'). Changing jackpoints
to the 2 wire type may help, or get a technician to install 'clean'
wiring and jackpoint for broadband and run the rest of the wiring via
a hard wired filter (which AFAIK you cannot get through retail
channels). This is just a thought, I do not know to what extent
grotty internal wiring slows down broadband, but it is a very distinct
possibility.

Craig Whitmore

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
>> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
>>
>> Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is
>> not
>> fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

At the moment what is your
- Physical connetion speed
- Attenuation
- SNR
- Other Details about the DSL connection from your Router

blanking

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
>> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
>>
>> Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is
>> not
>> fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

> Was it slow from inception or has it just got slow? You may have a
> long grotty line from the exchange in which case AFAIK Telecom will
> upon request terminate the service and refund.
>
> Have you got an unfiltered device or extension bell, etc lurking
> around?
>
> The other thing to look out for is whether your internal phone wiring
> is old and grotty (especially if it is '3 wire'). Changing jackpoints
> to the 2 wire type may help, or get a technician to install 'clean'
> wiring and jackpoint for broadband and run the rest of the wiring via
> a hard wired filter (which AFAIK you cannot get through retail
> channels). This is just a thought, I do not know to what extent
> grotty internal wiring slows down broadband, but it is a very distinct
> possibility.

No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it is
only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very slow,
once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

Richard

blanking wrote:

> No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
> anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it is
> only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very slow,
> once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

And all your computers are affected with this problem?

blanking

news:464e6c91$(E-Mail Removed)...
> blanking wrote:
>
>> No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
>> anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it
>> is only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very
>> slow, once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

> And all your computers are affected with this problem?

Yes I have used my old computer independently on this xnet broadband
connection and had the same problem, my old computer had worked fine with
xnet the last time i had used it, I have gone through all these obvious
logical deductions to determine the problem does not lie at my end.

ChristianKnight

"peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
>> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
>>
>> Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is
>> not
>> fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

> Was it slow from inception or has it just got slow? You may have a
> long grotty line from the exchange in which case AFAIK Telecom will
> upon request terminate the service and refund.
>
> Have you got an unfiltered device or extension bell, etc lurking
> around?
>
> The other thing to look out for is whether your internal phone wiring
> is old and grotty (especially if it is '3 wire'). Changing jackpoints
> to the 2 wire type may help, or get a technician to install 'clean'
> wiring and jackpoint for broadband and run the rest of the wiring via
> a hard wired filter (which AFAIK you cannot get through retail
> channels). This is just a thought, I do not know to what extent
> grotty internal wiring slows down broadband, but it is a very distinct
> possibility.

My broard band speed slowed to dial up and then two months went and I rang
Xtra and they questioned me on ifI had another phone connected. Yes I said
and they said that was why. They were right . I unpluged the bedroom phone
and speed went up to 5 megs from 50 kbps
Christ's love

Matty F

On May 19, 3:06 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:

> No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
> anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it is
> only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very slow,
> once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

I'm using xtra broadband and I had that delay problem with Internet
Explorer, which probably you are using. I do not have that delay
problem with Opera or Mozilla.

Go to http://www.opera.com/ and get yourself a decent browser.

blanking

"Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On May 19, 3:06 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
>
>> No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
>> anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it
>> is
>> only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very
>> slow,
>> once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

> I'm using xtra broadband and I had that delay problem with Internet
> Explorer, which probably you are using. I do not have that delay
> problem with Opera or Mozilla.
>
> Go to http://www.opera.com/ and get yourself a decent browser.

Using firefox 2

blanking

"ChristianKnight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:464e9e76$0$16361$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> On May 19, 11:36 am, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
>>> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is
>>> not
>>> fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

>> Was it slow from inception or has it just got slow? You may have a
>> long grotty line from the exchange in which case AFAIK Telecom will
>> upon request terminate the service and refund.
>>
>> Have you got an unfiltered device or extension bell, etc lurking
>> around?
>>
>> The other thing to look out for is whether your internal phone wiring
>> is old and grotty (especially if it is '3 wire'). Changing jackpoints
>> to the 2 wire type may help, or get a technician to install 'clean'
>> wiring and jackpoint for broadband and run the rest of the wiring via
>> a hard wired filter (which AFAIK you cannot get through retail
>> channels). This is just a thought, I do not know to what extent
>> grotty internal wiring slows down broadband, but it is a very distinct
>> possibility.
>>

> My broard band speed slowed to dial up and then two months went and I rang
> Xtra and they questioned me on ifI had another phone connected. Yes I said
> and they said that was why. They were right . I unpluged the bedroom phone
> and speed went up to 5 megs from 50 kbps
> Christ's love

Your talking about a different problem.

Matty F

blanking wrote:
> "Matty F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > On May 19, 3:06 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
> >
> >> No it was not slow from the inception plus I can't see how it could be
> >> anything you say if my speed is fine once I am downloading, remember it
> >> is
> >> only the requests for connection to a website/file etc... that is very
> >> slow,
> >> once a file is downloading I get constant top speed.

> > I'm using xtra broadband and I had that delay problem with Internet
> > Explorer, which probably you are using. I do not have that delay
> > problem with Opera or Mozilla.
> >
> > Go to http://www.opera.com/ and get yourself a decent browser.
> >

> Using firefox 2

I had the same long delay problem with Firefox so I uninstalled it and
got Opera which is going fine. So to summarise, without changing
anything on my machine, Mozilla and Opera work fine and Internet
Explorer and Firefox have regular delays of up to 30 seconds. Firefox
support don't seem to be interested in helping, and only mad people
use IE.
I recommend Opera.