Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Memory Upgrade problem

Memory Upgrade problem

Dave Taylor

Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I know bugger all about ram settings (any good place to learn on the
> net?), but assume this is making the ram slower?

Lower = faster
They are like wait loops. Lees means the ram is polled faster, but this
can cause problems. If it is working, leave it.
I would recommend using memtest to be sure that windows isn't masking
errors.

--
Ciao, Dave

Craig Shore

On 20 May 2007 21:00:22 +1200, Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I know bugger all about ram settings (any good place to learn on the
>> net?), but assume this is making the ram slower?

>Lower = faster
>They are like wait loops. Lees means the ram is polled faster, but this
>can cause problems. If it is working, leave it.
>I would recommend using memtest to be sure that windows isn't masking
>errors.

Sorry, I should have said, I was changing settings from auto to manual and
running memtest. This one setting being changed made it pass testing.

Dave Taylor

Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> This one setting being changed made it pass testing.

So keep going, but remember what worked.
Memtest is a guide.

Overclocking ram timings makes very little real world difference now. It
used to. IMHO.

Just leave it alone if it works.
Google for BIOS tweak guides if you want to go deeper.

--
Ciao, Dave

Craig Shore

On 21 May 2007 19:31:57 +1200, Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> This one setting being changed made it pass testing.

>So keep going, but remember what worked.
>Memtest is a guide.
>
>Overclocking ram timings makes very little real world difference now. It
>used to. IMHO.
>
>Just leave it alone if it works.
>Google for BIOS tweak guides if you want to go deeper.

Actually I have decided to leave it because the thing I adjusted was probably
the cause of the problem.

from
http://www.mushkin.com/doc/techSuppo...rs/latency.asp

What is CMD rate and why is it misunderstood?

CMD rate is generally used to describe the time from a chip select until a row
activate command can be given. The chip select defines the physical bank in
which the row is located. In a system running a single, single sided memory
module, there is never a question which bank will be selected since there is
only one. Keep that in mind when reading the small print somewhere stating that
the 1T CMD rate only applies to a single module in the system.

More generally, the CMD Rate is a chipset latency that is not determined by the
memory but by the time it takes the chipset to translate the virtual address
space into physical memory addresses. Needless to say that higher density system
memory with its more addresses will take longer to decode than a single low
density module, even if it is double sided. Also keep in mind that the logical
true for any signal on the command bus is a low voltage. Now, increasing the
voltage is often enough simple enough, all you need to do is inject enough
current. Dropping the voltage again, especially in an interconnected network may
occur somewhat more slowly, especially if it is only one line out of 6 that
needs to drop.

Intel has taken care of this problem by simply limiting the number of banks
supported per memory channel to four. This, in turn allows them to run all their
chipsets on a fixed CMD rate of 1T, regardless of how much memory is installed
in the system. Keep in mind that vendors that qualify only certain modules with
a CMD rate of 1T may experience severe stability issues on modules that are not
specifically covered under their 1T assurance umbrella.

Currently, the only chipset manufacturers that are even condoning a 2T CMD rate
are VIA technologies (mostly for the sake of supporting registered DIMMs) and
SIS (on some of their chipsets that allowed asynchronous, overclocked operation
of DRAM)

Overall, rating a module as 1T is either false advertising or needs to be
excused as blatant ignorance as all unbuffered modules are capable of a 1T CMD
rate up to four banks per channel, beyond which chipset limitations come into
play.