Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Memory Upgrade problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Memory Upgrade problem

 
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2007
Tonight I tried to upgrade the memory on mum's computer without success

The Mainboard is an Asus K8V-MX. It uses 64mb of system memory for the onboard
graphics.

It came with a single stick of DDR400 256mb memory. Windows boots and runs fine
with this, but takes forever as it goes into virtual memory.
I installed 2 new 512mb DDR400 sticks (removing the 256mb one).

The computer boots fine, and it recognises the new ram straight away. Windows
XP then proceeds to boot. As soon as Windows gets to the part where it changes
the graphics mode some small garbage comes up onto the screen (as if Windows has
written data to the graphics part of the shared memory) and Win freezes
requiring it to be reset with the power button.
I've tried replacing the video driver, but that didn't help.

Has anyone got any ideas on what to try next?

TIA.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Craig Whitmore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2007


>
> The computer boots fine, and it recognises the new ram straight away.
> Windows
> XP then proceeds to boot. As soon as Windows gets to the part where it
> changes
> the graphics mode some small garbage comes up onto the screen (as if
> Windows has
> written data to the graphics part of the shared memory) and Win freezes
> requiring it to be reset with the power button.
> I've tried replacing the video driver, but that didn't help.


Make sure the RAM you got in the correct for the MB. Sometimes Generic RAM
may not work correctly.

check www.kingston.com and put your MB details and you can see what it
really needs. THE CL Rating sometimes makes a difference if you are using LC
3 instead of 2 or vica versa. Double/Single Sided etc etc etc

Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2007
On Thu, 17 May 2007 23:54:48 +1200, "Craig Whitmore" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>
>>
>> The computer boots fine, and it recognises the new ram straight away.
>> Windows
>> XP then proceeds to boot. As soon as Windows gets to the part where it
>> changes
>> the graphics mode some small garbage comes up onto the screen (as if
>> Windows has
>> written data to the graphics part of the shared memory) and Win freezes
>> requiring it to be reset with the power button.
>> I've tried replacing the video driver, but that didn't help.

>
>Make sure the RAM you got in the correct for the MB. Sometimes Generic RAM
>may not work correctly.


It's Kingmax DDR400 ram I got.

>check www.kingston.com and put your MB details and you can see what it
>really needs. THE CL Rating sometimes makes a difference if you are using LC
>3 instead of 2 or vica versa. Double/Single Sided etc etc etc


Kingston says

Virtually any configuration up to 2GB can be reached using any combination of
Kingston's 128, 256, 512MB, and 1GB modules.


 
Reply With Quote
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2007
"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 17 May 2007 23:54:48 +1200, "Craig Whitmore"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> The computer boots fine, and it recognises the new ram straight
>>> away.
>>> Windows
>>> XP then proceeds to boot. As soon as Windows gets to the part
>>> where it
>>> changes
>>> the graphics mode some small garbage comes up onto the screen (as
>>> if
>>> Windows has
>>> written data to the graphics part of the shared memory) and Win
>>> freezes
>>> requiring it to be reset with the power button.
>>> I've tried replacing the video driver, but that didn't help.

>>
>>Make sure the RAM you got in the correct for the MB. Sometimes
>>Generic RAM
>>may not work correctly.

>
> It's Kingmax DDR400 ram I got.
>
>>check www.kingston.com and put your MB details and you can see what
>>it
>>really needs. THE CL Rating sometimes makes a difference if you are
>>using LC
>>3 instead of 2 or vica versa. Double/Single Sided etc etc etc

>
> Kingston says
>
> Virtually any configuration up to 2GB can be reached using any
> combination of
> Kingston's 128, 256, 512MB, and 1GB modules.
>
>


Well, if you add the phrase "compatible with the device the module is
designed for" to that line, you'd be on to something. That's how
Kingston (and other reputable memory distributors) define a match. For
the ASUS K8V-MX board, try this:

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search

....and then see if you can locate one of those part numbers elsewhere.
Crucial has a similar search facility on their site. Otherwise, I'd
suggest getting someone locally to sign off on the compatibility issue
for any good brand they stock and buy directly through them.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2007
Craig Shore wrote:
> Tonight I tried to upgrade the memory on mum's computer without success
>
> The Mainboard is an Asus K8V-MX. It uses 64mb of system memory for the onboard
> graphics.
>
> It came with a single stick of DDR400 256mb memory. Windows boots and runs fine
> with this, but takes forever as it goes into virtual memory.
> I installed 2 new 512mb DDR400 sticks (removing the 256mb one).
>
> The computer boots fine, and it recognises the new ram straight away. Windows
> XP then proceeds to boot. As soon as Windows gets to the part where it changes
> the graphics mode some small garbage comes up onto the screen (as if Windows has
> written data to the graphics part of the shared memory) and Win freezes
> requiring it to be reset with the power button.
> I've tried replacing the video driver, but that didn't help.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas on what to try next?


First, get a bootable memory diagnostic, don't test it on Windows. If
you get a bad RAM stick it coulc corrupt the hard drive once Windows
starts running. Test it with a diagnostic first, then boot Windows.
Memtest86 at http://www.memtest86.com/ works well, or it is on the
Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Go back to your original configuration, and make sure everything works.
Even test your memory diagnostic on the original ram.

Now try your upgrade. It is quite possible you have a bad stick so
install one stick at a time and test it. Be careful you don't ESD the
RAM and your motherboard of course. If you find that one stick works
and the other doesn't, take back the faulty stick


 
Reply With Quote
 
-=rjh=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2007
Craig Shore wrote:
> Tonight I tried to upgrade the memory on mum's computer without success
>
> The Mainboard is an Asus K8V-MX. It uses 64mb of system memory for the onboard
> graphics.
>
> It came with a single stick of DDR400 256mb memory. Windows boots and runs fine
> with this, but takes forever as it goes into virtual memory.
> I installed 2 new 512mb DDR400 sticks (removing the 256mb one).
>
> The computer boots fine, and it recognises the new ram straight away. Windows
> XP then proceeds to boot. As soon as Windows gets to the part where it changes
> the graphics mode some small garbage comes up onto the screen (as if Windows has
> written data to the graphics part of the shared memory) and Win freezes
> requiring it to be reset with the power button.
> I've tried replacing the video driver, but that didn't help.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas on what to try next?


Memtest; don't rely on the POST to check memory. Always use a proper
memory diagnostic, you'll save a *lot* of time in the long run.

One of my systems here appeared superficially to have no memory
problems; it boots and installs fine. Memtest however shows errors all
over and this is a widely reported defect with the mainboard (MSI).

The fix? Disable USB legacy support. Weird.

I also have some older P3 Compaqs that are very picky about memory
combinations, often they'll boot fine but memtest shows errors.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Sutton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2007

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tonight I tried to upgrade the memory on mum's computer without success
>
>
> The Mainboard is an Asus K8V-MX. It uses 64mb of system memory for the
> onboard
> graphics.
>
> It came with a single stick of DDR400 256mb memory. Windows boots and
> runs fine
> with this, but takes forever as it goes into virtual memory.
> I installed 2 new 512mb DDR400 sticks (removing the 256mb one).
>
> The computer boots fine, and it recognises the new ram straight away.
> Windows
> XP then proceeds to boot. As soon as Windows gets to the part where it
> changes
> the graphics mode some small garbage comes up onto the screen (as if
> Windows has
> written data to the graphics part of the shared memory) and Win freezes
> requiring it to be reset with the power button.
> I've tried replacing the video driver, but that didn't help.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas on what to try next?
>
> TIA.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Sutton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2007

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tonight I tried to upgrade the memory on mum's computer without success
>
>
> The Mainboard is an Asus K8V-MX. It uses 64mb of system memory for the
> onboard
> graphics.
>
> It came with a single stick of DDR400 256mb memory. Windows boots and
> runs fine
> with this, but takes forever as it goes into virtual memory.
> I installed 2 new 512mb DDR400 sticks (removing the 256mb one).
>
> The computer boots fine, and it recognises the new ram straight away.
> Windows
> XP then proceeds to boot. As soon as Windows gets to the part where it
> changes
> the graphics mode some small garbage comes up onto the screen (as if
> Windows has
> written data to the graphics part of the shared memory) and Win freezes
> requiring it to be reset with the power button.
> I've tried replacing the video driver, but that didn't help.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas on what to try next?
>

Put the old stick back in. Boot up in safe mode run scandisk shut down.
Power off machine.

open up remove single ram stick insert 1 module. Power up while holding down
insert key to reset the bios.

See if it boots this time? Xp likes to adapt itself when it sees the extra
ram. I've put new ram into machines and they boot up just as slow. Then
suddenly after a few reboots they seem to wake up to the extra memory.

Use CPUZ to read the ram timings write them down and next time you reboot
manually enter them in the bios menu in case your m.b is defaulting to the
wrong settings.

If you complete the boot using the first 512 meg stick you should be fine to
put the 2nd in. Also UPGRADE your video drivers


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2007
Craig Sutton wrote:
>
> "Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tonight I tried to upgrade the memory on mum's computer without
>> success
>>
>> The Mainboard is an Asus K8V-MX. It uses 64mb of system memory for
>> the onboard
>> graphics.
>>
>> It came with a single stick of DDR400 256mb memory. Windows boots and
>> runs fine
>> with this, but takes forever as it goes into virtual memory.
>> I installed 2 new 512mb DDR400 sticks (removing the 256mb one).
>>
>> The computer boots fine, and it recognises the new ram straight away.
>> Windows
>> XP then proceeds to boot. As soon as Windows gets to the part where
>> it changes
>> the graphics mode some small garbage comes up onto the screen (as if
>> Windows has
>> written data to the graphics part of the shared memory) and Win freezes
>> requiring it to be reset with the power button.
>> I've tried replacing the video driver, but that didn't help.
>>
>> Has anyone got any ideas on what to try next?
>>

> Put the old stick back in. Boot up in safe mode run scandisk shut down.
> Power off machine.
>
> open up remove single ram stick insert 1 module. Power up while holding
> down insert key to reset the bios.
>
> See if it boots this time? Xp likes to adapt itself when it sees the
> extra ram. I've put new ram into machines and they boot up just as slow.
> Then suddenly after a few reboots they seem to wake up to the extra memory.
>
> Use CPUZ to read the ram timings write them down and next time you
> reboot manually enter them in the bios menu in case your m.b is
> defaulting to the wrong settings.
>
> If you complete the boot using the first 512 meg stick you should be
> fine to put the 2nd in. Also UPGRADE your video drivers


I'd still recommend using memtest first. If you boot windows with
faulty ram you can corrupt the data on your hard drive. Been there!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2007
On Thu, 17 May 2007 23:47:02 +1200, Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

I have this computer running on the new ram now by manually setting the Command
Rate to 2T. I'm guessing that I should be able to get it running on 1T, but
will have to discover whatever other setting needs to be changed to acheive
this.

I know bugger all about ram settings (any good place to learn on the net?), but
assume this is making the ram slower? At the end of the day I guess it doesn't
matter as the move from 256mb shared to 1gig shared makes the computer way
faster because it's not living permanently in virtual memory!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cisco 837 upgrade IOS upgrade gone wrong cisconewbie Hardware 5 10-05-2008 06:29 PM
Upgrade vs Upgrade - not a faq but maybe some answers. Comments and Corrections welcomed. Agent86 Windows 64bit 2 02-09-2007 08:16 PM
Upgrade perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 - help with upgrade ben.wilder@gmail.com Perl Misc 5 07-05-2006 11:19 AM
Re: RAM Memory upgrade card problem. Walter Mautner Computer Support 1 12-28-2005 06:28 PM
Differences between Sony Memory Stick & memory Stick Pro vs Memory Stick Duo? zxcvar Digital Photography 3 11-28-2004 10:48 PM



Advertisments