Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Trouble setting up new email account

Trouble setting up new email account

Boppy

I work from home and one of my clients has given me one of their
company email addresses to use since we've had such difficulty
communicating through Xtra despite their being both our ISP.

However, I cannot seem to get things working and Xtra's helpdesk were
their usual misnomic selves.

What I have been given is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) but I suspect this may
be an alias for (E-Mail Removed) because the latter is what I
see on the main screen when I log in through Xtra's webmail.

I'm a Seamonkey user, but in this instance I'm going to use Outlook
2007 to keep things separate. So under Tools/Account Settings Xtra
said since we have a non-xtra domain address, we need to use
"officemail" as our pop3 and smtp server names. Yet each time I try to
test account settings it fails. Using .xtra.co.nz doesn't work either
- I am just continually asked for my username and password and never
get anywhere.

What do other users put in as server settings when you are Xtra
customers but you have @adifferent company as your email address?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get this running.

Mark Robinson

Boppy wrote:
> I work from home and one of my clients has given me one of their
> company email addresses to use since we've had such difficulty
> communicating through Xtra despite their being both our ISP.
>
> However, I cannot seem to get things working and Xtra's helpdesk were
> their usual misnomic selves.
>
> What I have been given is (E-Mail Removed) but I suspect this may
> be an alias for (E-Mail Removed) because the latter is what I
> see on the main screen when I log in through Xtra's webmail.
>
> I'm a Seamonkey user, but in this instance I'm going to use Outlook
> 2007 to keep things separate. So under Tools/Account Settings Xtra
> said since we have a non-xtra domain address, we need to use
> "officemail" as our pop3 and smtp server names. Yet each time I try to
> test account settings it fails. Using .xtra.co.nz doesn't work either
> - I am just continually asked for my username and password and never
> get anywhere.
>
> What do other users put in as server settings when you are Xtra
> customers but you have @adifferent company as your email address?
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get this running.

Create a second account for the (E-Mail Removed) configured to use
pop3.company.co.nz.

Use the company.co.nz smtp server if you can.

Talk to their mail admin for help setting it up.

You may still need to use the xtra smtp server for your new account depending
on how the company.co.nz mailserver is configured.

Boppy

On May 9, 7:36 pm, Mark Robinson <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote:
> Boppy wrote:
> > I work from home and one of my clients has given me one of their
> > company email addresses to use since we've had such difficulty
> > communicating through Xtra despite their being both our ISP.

> > However, I cannot seem to get things working and Xtra's helpdesk were
> > their usual misnomic selves.

> > What I have been given is (E-Mail Removed) but I suspect this may
> > be an alias for (E-Mail Removed) because the latter is what I
> > see on the main screen when I log in through Xtra's webmail.

> > I'm a Seamonkey user, but in this instance I'm going to use Outlook
> > 2007 to keep things separate. So under Tools/Account Settings Xtra
> > said since we have a non-xtra domain address, we need to use
> > "officemail" as our pop3 and smtp server names. Yet each time I try to
> > test account settings it fails. Using .xtra.co.nz doesn't work either
> > - I am just continually asked for my username and password and never
> > get anywhere.

> > What do other users put in as server settings when you are Xtra
> > customers but you have @adifferent company as your email address?

> > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get this running.

> Create a second account for the (E-Mail Removed) configured to use
> pop3.company.co.nz.
>
> Use the company.co.nz smtp server if you can.
>
> Talk to their mail admin for help setting it up.
>
> You may still need to use the xtra smtp server for your new account depending
> on how the company.co.nz mailserver is configured.

Thanks for replying. That's one of the configurations I have already
tried and got errors on. The company doesn't have a tech person, and
when they have email issues they ring the Xtra "help" desk.

Dave Taylor

Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1178698048.144155.197340
@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

> Thanks for replying. That's one of the configurations I have already
> tried and got errors on. The company doesn't have a tech person, and
> when they have email issues they ring the Xtra "help" desk.

What errors?

Try telnet to port 25 and 110 to make sure you can even get to the domain
name.

--
Ciao, Dave

Martin

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns992BD01498C97daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1178698048.144155.197340
> @y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Thanks for replying. That's one of the configurations I have already
>> tried and got errors on. The company doesn't have a tech person, and
>> when they have email issues they ring the Xtra "help" desk.

> What errors?
>
> Try telnet to port 25 and 110 to make sure you can even get to the domain
> name.
>
> --
> Ciao, Dave

Just use the standard pop3.xtra.co.nz and smtp.xtra.co.nz - the new settings
that Xtra informed domain holders about don't actually work yet....

Use (E-Mail Removed) as your username, if that doesn't work, use
company05

Dave is right though - to test connectivity use telnet pop3.xtra.co.nz 110 -
if you get a response all is ok, if you get Connecting To
pop3.xtra.co.nz...Could not open connection to the host then all is bad (-:
(same test for smtp.xtra.co.nz)

Boppy

On May 9, 7:12 pm, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I work from home and one of my clients has given me one of their
> company email addresses to use since we've had such difficulty
> communicating through Xtra despite their being both our ISP.
>
> However, I cannot seem to get things working and Xtra's helpdesk were
> their usual misnomic selves.
>
> What I have been given is (E-Mail Removed) but I suspect this may
> be an alias for (E-Mail Removed) because the latter is what I
> see on the main screen when I log in through Xtra's webmail.
>
> I'm a Seamonkey user, but in this instance I'm going to use Outlook
> 2007 to keep things separate. So under Tools/Account Settings Xtra
> said since we have a non-xtra domain address, we need to use
> "officemail" as our pop3 and smtp server names. Yet each time I try to
> test account settings it fails. Using .xtra.co.nz doesn't work either
> - I am just continually asked for my username and password and never
> get anywhere.
>
> What do other users put in as server settings when you are Xtra
> customers but you have @adifferent company as your email address?
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get this running.

Thanks for the replies. In the end I was lucky enough to get a smart
operator on the phone when I next called the Xtra help desk and the
problem had been having the @company.co.nz after my username in
account set up. Still it took a few attempts at different convolutions
of pop3 and smtp options.
Cheers,