Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Compilier will not recognize DataSet object.

Compilier will not recognize DataSet object.

Dave

Compilier will not recognize DataSet object.

As you can see below is from a test simple form with no
other code. I'm just trying to get any Aspx form to
recognize the DataSet object. You can see from the code
I am importing System.Data.SqlClient. I can get to
DataReader, DataView and DataTable but Visual Studio
won't even bring up DataSet on Intellisense, much less
compile it. The message I get is: "Reference required
to assembly 'System.Xml' containing the implemented
interface 'System.Xml.Serialization.IXmlSerializable'.
Add one to your project.

But I don't want that one. I want the one in
System.Data.SqlClient. Same thing happens when I try
System.Data.oleDB. What painfully obvious step am I
missing here?

Thanks,

Dave

Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Public Class WebForm1
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
Protected WithEvents DataSet1 As System.Data.DataSet

Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object,

Dim obj As dataset = New dataset()

End Sub

End Class

Natty Gur

Hi,

DataSet is a class that enables you to store data on your application
memory and manipulate it. DataSet is made from DataTables and Relations
between them. to Fill DataTable one can use DataAdapter of SQLClient,
OLEDB, OracleClient or any other DB connectivity namespace.

As you see DataSet is not part of any DB namespace it is "global" class
that enable you to store data and you can decide what is the source of
that Table.

The DataSet can be handling as XML file. Actually it got XSD file
(schema) that set the Tables, fields, relations and other Meta data.
That is the reason way DataSet need reference to System.XML.

Natty Gur, CTO
Dao2Com Ltd.
28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
Israel , 51114

Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Know the overall picture

Dave

I have the VB.NET equivelent.

Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.SqlClient
(rest of the code is at the bottom of the page.)

And that is what baffles me. I can get to the other
objects exposed from the namespace such as DataReader,
DataView and DataTable. It is _just_ DataSet that will
not get recognized.

Dave

Kevin Spencer

That is indeed odd. What error message do you get when you add the
reference?

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Internet Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of Little things.

news:09ec01c33b17$1f00f970$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >"So, why don't you just add the reference that

> the compiler told you to add?"
>
> Actually, I tried that. Adding 'Imports System.Xml'
> doesn't help.
>
> You're right though, System.Data.SqlClient doesn't have
> anything to do with the DataSet object. That does just
> confuse the issue. However, I am already importing
> System.Data and that is the source of my confusion. Why
> am I (apparently) getting all the other objects and
> methods available to me from the System.Data namespace
> except for DataSet?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Dave

The message I get is: "Reference required
to assembly 'System.Xml' containing the implemented
interface 'System.Xml.Serialization.IXmlSerializable'.
Add one to your project." (I removed the path name part of
the message.)

I get this message with or without adding System.Xml.
Under all circumstances I have System.Data. Also, to
clarify, I get the error when building the project as well
as VS.NET has it underlined as an error with the same
message.

Thanks for you help. I'm just dumbfounded since I have
access to the other objects in the namespace. Yeah, I
even tried the 'ol reboot windows trick. I'm running XP
Professional.

Dave

http://www.developersdex.com

it!

>> >.
>> >

>.

Kevin Spencer

Okay, did you add a reference to the assembly in the project, or a "using"
(or "imports" in VB.Net) statement in your code or both?

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Internet Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of Little things.

news:0cd501c33b2d$e2828ec0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The message I get is: "Reference required
> to assembly 'System.Xml' containing the implemented
> interface 'System.Xml.Serialization.IXmlSerializable'.
> Add one to your project." (I removed the path name part of
> the message.)
>
> I get this message with or without adding System.Xml.
> Under all circumstances I have System.Data. Also, to
> clarify, I get the error when building the project as well
> as VS.NET has it underlined as an error with the same
> message.
>
> Thanks for you help. I'm just dumbfounded since I have
> access to the other objects in the namespace. Yeah, I
> even tried the 'ol reboot windows trick. I'm running XP
> Professional.
>
> Dave

Dave

Just an "Import" statement in the code behind the Aspx
form. (I'm using VB for my code.) I have not added a
reference to the assembly. Truth be told I didn't know I
had to add one to the assembly (or how to for that matter
but I can look it up). Would that explain the errant
behavior?

Dave

Kevin Spencer

Definitely. That's what "Reference" in the error message refers to. Just go
to your Project window, find the "References" element, right-click and
select "Add Reference" from the context menu. Then select the Assembly from
the list of built-in Assemblies. You should be good to go!

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Internet Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of Little things.

news:0c4c01c33b56$568181a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just an "Import" statement in the code behind the Aspx
> form. (I'm using VB for my code.) I have not added a
> reference to the assembly. Truth be told I didn't know I
> had to add one to the assembly (or how to for that matter
> but I can look it up). Would that explain the errant
> behavior?
>
> Dave

Natty Gur

Hi,

are you sure you got REFERENCE to the 'System.Xml' assembly ?

Natty Gur, CTO
Dao2Com Ltd.
28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
Israel , 51114

Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Know the overall picture

Dave

Good Gravy I can't believe that worked. So I needed a
reference to System.XML in the assembly but I didn't need
to import it into the Aspx page. Still can't find any
documentation that mentions this but I'll at least know
what to do when the compilier complains again.

Thank you very much Kevin. Amazing how the rest of the
code is falling into place now.

Dave