Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Unacceptable gaming ping from IHUG

Unacceptable gaming ping from IHUG

Nova

I've been playing World of Warcraft through IHUG for a while now and
recently switched plans to their broadband 3 plan. Since doing so my ping
in game has skyrocketed, averaging 400ms, spiking to over 1500ms whenever
there is any action happening on screen.

I initially put this down to a problem close to the server, or latency in a
router in the US. However the problem continued and led me to experiment to
determine the cause.

I downloaded software that tunnels my WoW traffic through HTTP, in an
attempt to see if it was QoS traffic shaping that was slowing my packets
down. Turns out I was right on the money -- immediately my ping shrank to
250ms and held there, rock solid. Obviously, HTTP traffic is being
prioritised and game traffic is being shaped.

I refuse to continue using this tunneling software (which has a monthly fee)
in order to receive the level of service from my internet provider that I
should be receiving as a matter of course. I pay my monthly subscription
fee and I should be receiving the appropriate level of service, not be
treated like a second class citizen for trying to play a game on the
internet.

If this doesn't change -- and change FAST -- I'm going to a different ISP.
Anyone got any recommendations?

Enkidu

Nova wrote:

> If this doesn't change -- and change FAST -- I'm going to a different ISP.
> Anyone got any recommendations?

Yes. Give up playing stupid games and get a life.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Nova

On Sat, 05 May 2007 15:14:09 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Nova wrote:
>>
>> If this doesn't change -- and change FAST -- I'm going to a different ISP.
>> Anyone got any recommendations?
> >

>Yes. Give up playing stupid games and get a life.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

Very helpful.

Could we please restrict this thread to non-internet-warrior types? If I
wanted an argument with an idiot I'd post on the internet --- oh right, I
see your point.

Enkidu

Nova wrote:
> On Sat, 05 May 2007 15:14:09 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Nova wrote:
>>> If this doesn't change -- and change FAST -- I'm going to a different ISP.
>>> Anyone got any recommendations?
>>>

>> Yes. Give up playing stupid games and get a life.

> Very helpful.
>
> Could we please restrict this thread to non-internet-warrior types? If I
> wanted an argument with an idiot I'd post on the internet --- oh right, I
> see your point.

Playing internet games is as pointless as fishing.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

XPD

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been playing World of Warcraft through IHUG for a while now and
> recently switched plans to their broadband 3 plan. Since doing so my ping
> in game has skyrocketed, averaging 400ms, spiking to over 1500ms whenever
> there is any action happening on screen.

Yay So Im not the only one!!!!!!!!!

Ive only just joined IHUG this week on the same plan and yeah... pings go
nuts

XPD

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Playing internet games is as pointless as fishing.

So is replying with crap.

Chris Hope

Nova wrote:

> I've been playing World of Warcraft through IHUG for a while now and
> recently switched plans to their broadband 3 plan. Since doing so my
> ping in game has skyrocketed, averaging 400ms, spiking to over 1500ms
> whenever there is any action happening on screen.
>
> I initially put this down to a problem close to the server, or latency
> in a
> router in the US. However the problem continued and led me to
> experiment to determine the cause.
>
> I downloaded software that tunnels my WoW traffic through HTTP, in an
> attempt to see if it was QoS traffic shaping that was slowing my
> packets
> down. Turns out I was right on the money -- immediately my ping
> shrank to
> 250ms and held there, rock solid. Obviously, HTTP traffic is being
> prioritised and game traffic is being shaped.
>
> I refuse to continue using this tunneling software (which has a
> monthly fee) in order to receive the level of service from my internet
> provider that I
> should be receiving as a matter of course. I pay my monthly
> subscription fee and I should be receiving the appropriate level of
> service, not be treated like a second class citizen for trying to play
> a game on the internet.
>
> If this doesn't change -- and change FAST -- I'm going to a different
> ISP. Anyone got any recommendations?

I'm using Orcon and haven't changed plans or anything. I've had
acceptable pings playing WoW but for some reason last night it dropped
to between 600ms and 1200ms. Whether this is something they were doing
or due to something else I don't know. Not sure if I'll get to play
again until Monday or Tuesday so won't know if the issue is still there
until then.

Enkidu

XPD wrote:
> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Playing internet games is as pointless as fishing.

> So is replying with crap.

No dispute there!

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

XPD

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been playing World of Warcraft through IHUG for a while now and
> recently switched plans to their broadband 3 plan. Since doing so my ping
> in game has skyrocketed, averaging 400ms, spiking to over 1500ms whenever
> there is any action happening on screen.

I sent IHUG an email with your results.... heres their reply.

===========================
There is no traffic shaping at Ihug that I know of. It is also known that
Telecom has been prioritising HTTP traffic over other traffic through the
backhaul. You can do some trace routes also to identify where the latency
is.

Kind Regards

<name>

Senior Customer Service Representative

Contact Centre

Ihug Limited

Cima

Since I was changed over to TelstraClear's PDQ, my Counter-Strike pings are
****. Used to average 65-75, now it's 98-120 with "Connection Problem" errors
now & then. I had better results on my original 256k plan.