Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Change keyboard setting from command line?

Change keyboard setting from command line?

Miguel

Hi all....anyone know the command/syntax to change the keyboard from
belgian layout to us-english layout (or, for that matter, any layout to
another layout)

I'm playing around with fccu-linux from the command line and it defaults
to a belgian keyboard.

I've googled and man'ed but no joy.....TIA

Regards
Miguel.....please don't let it be something blindingly obvious

Mark Robinson

Miguel wrote:
> Hi all....anyone know the command/syntax to change the keyboard from
> belgian layout to us-english layout (or, for that matter, any layout to
> another layout)
>
> I'm playing around with fccu-linux from the command line and it defaults
> to a belgian keyboard.
>
> I've googled and man'ed but no joy.....TIA
>
> Regards
> Miguel.....please don't let it be something blindingly obvious

Does
env | grep LANG
reveal anything interesting ?

Mark Robinson

Miguel wrote:
> Hi all....anyone know the command/syntax to change the keyboard from
> belgian layout to us-english layout (or, for that matter, any layout to
> another layout)
>
> I'm playing around with fccu-linux from the command line and it defaults
> to a belgian keyboard.
>
> I've googled and man'ed but no joy.....TIA
>
> Regards
> Miguel.....please don't let it be something blindingly obvious

loadkeyd
should do the business

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/0138

Miguel

> loadkeyd
> should do the business
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/0138

Thanks Mark. loadkeys is something I didn't know about. After reading the
article I'm not a lot wiser but at least I'm aware of it.

FWIW, I was looking around fccu-linux boot-up options and found that
entering 'fccu keyb=us" at the prompt sets the keyboard layout to
us-international which is what I originally wanted.

Thanks
Miguel

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Miguel wrote:

> ....anyone know the command/syntax to change the keyboard from
> belgian layout to us-english layout (or, for that matter, any layout to
> another layout)

Note that there two different layout settings: the kernel one (used for
character-mode virtual consoles) and the X server one (used for text input
to GUI programs).

The former is settable using loadkeys(1), the latter is controlled through
the "XkbLayout" option in the "InputDevice" section that defines your
keyboard device in xorg.conf(5).