Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ Inventor sues Nokia

NZ Inventor sues Nokia

peterwn

See:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10437562

I am reluctant to 'knock' NZ inventors, but it would seem to me that
the patent was issued for something that was 'prior art' (thought of
before) and trivial.

Schemes to 'encode' 8-bit information on to 7-bit or less transmission
'media' are commonplace and predate this particular invention. For
example downloading files from the internet uses such schemes and so
did downloads from the now obsolete bulletin boards using Kermit and
other schemes. Applying it for radiocommunications purposes seems
trivial.

Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.

It is important for Kiwi inventors, software developers, etc that
patent laws are not excessively stringent, otherwise it becomes
difficult or impossible for them to bring anything to market for fear
of patent violation.

David Empson

peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> See:
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10437562
>
> I am reluctant to 'knock' NZ inventors, but it would seem to me that
> the patent was issued for something that was 'prior art' (thought of
> before) and trivial.
>
> Schemes to 'encode' 8-bit information on to 7-bit or less transmission
> 'media' are commonplace and predate this particular invention. For
> example downloading files from the internet uses such schemes and so
> did downloads from the now obsolete bulletin boards using Kermit and
> other schemes. Applying it for radiocommunications purposes seems
> trivial.

Do you have a reference to more detailed information about the patent?

A couple of possible cases of prior art, in protocols which are intended
to be used for radio communication.

The 1997 edition of the HDLC standard I have on my desk has 7-bit data
path transparency defined as an optional feature. It wasn't included in
the 1993 edition of the standard.

The Modbus protocol dates back to 1985 or earlier, and in one of its
modes it uses ASCII representation of binary data (pairs of hex digits),
which can then be transmitted over a 7-bit data path.

> Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
> inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.

Agreed.

--
David Empson

Dianthus Mimulus

On Thu, 03 May 2007 12:54:34 -0700, peterwn wrote:

> Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
> inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.

However, the US Supreme Court's rulings do not apply here in NZ, as
american law, and, american copyrights, and american patents only apply
in the USA.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

bath and a short dress to get into."

peterwn

On May 4, 8:20 pm, Dianthus Mimulus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 May 2007 12:54:34 -0700, peterwn wrote:
> > Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
> > inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.

> However, the US Supreme Court's rulings do not apply here in NZ, as
> american law, and, american copyrights, and american patents only apply
> in the USA.

Agreed, but the lawsuit referred to was filed in a USA court, not a
New Zealand court.

peterwn

On May 4, 8:13 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
> peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do you have a reference to more detailed information about the patent?

No, I discerned the general nature of the patent from the Herald
article.

Dianthus Mimulus

On Fri, 04 May 2007 02:34:53 -0700, peterwn wrote:

> Agreed, but the lawsuit referred to was filed in a USA court, not a New
> Zealand court.

Then wasn't that inventor a stupid person!

--
Dianthus Mimulus

bath and a short dress to get into."

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> See:
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10437562
>
> I am reluctant to 'knock' NZ inventors, but it would seem to me that
> the patent was issued for something that was 'prior art' (thought of
> before) and trivial.
>
> Schemes to 'encode' 8-bit information on to 7-bit or less transmission
> 'media' are commonplace and predate this particular invention. For
> example downloading files from the internet uses such schemes and so
> did downloads from the now obsolete bulletin boards using Kermit and
> other schemes. Applying it for radiocommunications purposes seems
> trivial.
>
> Recent US Supreme Court rulings on patents would indicate that the
> inventor is going to have an uphill battle on his hands.
>
> It is important for Kiwi inventors, software developers, etc that
> patent laws are not excessively stringent, otherwise it becomes
> difficult or impossible for them to bring anything to market for fear
> of patent violation.

actually you will find the ASCII was only ever 7 bits. Kermit etc when
downloading binaries etc required 8 bits.