Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless networking prob

Wireless networking prob

Charles Foot

Hi people,
I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
hotspots every day to do my daily work.
Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
talks to the other machine.
The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the
notebook immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and
can access files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or
Thunderbird while the other machine is connected to the net, the
notebook always tries to dial up.
Any ideas?

Fred

"Charles Foot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi people,
> I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
> holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
> hotspots every day to do my daily work.
> Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
> gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
> Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
> talks to the other machine.
> The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
> MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
> I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
> I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the notebook
> immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and can access
> files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or Thunderbird while
> the other machine is connected to the net, the notebook always tries to
> dial up.
> Any ideas?

Control panel/network accounts. Right click on broadband and set as default,
or better still delete dial up account.

Charles Foot

Fred wrote:
> "Charles Foot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hi people,
>> I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
>> holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
>> hotspots every day to do my daily work.
>> Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
>> gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
>> Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
>> talks to the other machine.
>> The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
>> MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
>> I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
>> I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the notebook
>> immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and can access
>> files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or Thunderbird while
>> the other machine is connected to the net, the notebook always tries to
>> dial up.
>> Any ideas?

> Control panel/network accounts. Right click on broadband and set as default,
> or better still delete dial up account.

Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier Island.
I just need to be able to access the internet via the other machine when
it is online and dial up when it's not.

Dave Taylor

Charles Foot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1178186521.965082@ftpsrv1:

> Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier Island.
> I just need to be able to access the internet via the other machine when
> it is online and dial up when it's not.

NetsetMan
Are you tired of changing your network configuration every day on your
notebook or computer?
The same procedure every day?

On the go: changing...
At home: changing...
In the office: changing...

Then NetSetMan is your solution. It will do the work for you.
http://www.netsetman.com/
Noncommercial freeware

--
Ciao, Dave

Charles Foot

Dave Taylor wrote:
> Charles Foot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1178186521.965082@ftpsrv1:
>
>> Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier Island.
>> I just need to be able to access the internet via the other machine when
>> it is online and dial up when it's not.
>>

> NetsetMan
> Are you tired of changing your network configuration every day on your
> notebook or computer?
> The same procedure every day?
>
> On the go: changing...
> At home: changing...
> In the office: changing...
>
> Then NetSetMan is your solution. It will do the work for you.
> http://www.netsetman.com/
> Noncommercial freeware

Ta for the suggestion Dave, but my problem is simply that since
returning from holiday, the home network no longer works as it did.
To recap; it is a simple infrastructure network.... Win XP Home on the
main PC and on the notebook. D-Link wireless access point connected to
the main PC. Main PC set up with file and printer sharing, and with
Internet Connection Sharing enabled.
If the main PC is on when the notebook boots up, the notebook
immediately connects to the wireless network, and I can access files and
folders on the main PC.
If the main PC is connected to the internet, the notebook *should* also
be connected to the internet. I *should* be able to start an email
client and receive email via the wireless network. Same with a browser.
This was all working fine, and had been for several months, prior to
going away for a couple of weeks.
However, if I now start Thunderbird, Firefox, or IE the notebook tries
to dial up.

In other words, Internet Connection Sharing is no longer working.

I've gone through all the steps to disable it and re-enable it on the
main PC, I've reset the access point back to it's factory defaults, I've
deleted and set up a new wireless network connection on the notebook,
I've restored the notebook back to a date prior to going away. All to no
avail.

Is there a registry setting on the notebook that may be incorrect?

I logged on to numerous wireless networks throughout the country in my
travels and had no problems.

SteveM

> Dave Taylor wrote:
>> Charles Foot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>>> Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier Island.
>>> I just need to be able to access the internet via the other machine
>>> when it is online and dial up when it's not.
>>>

>> NetsetMan
>> Are you tired of changing your network configuration every day on
>> your notebook or computer?
>> The same procedure every day?
>>
>> On the go: changing...
>> At home: changing...
>> In the office: changing...
>>
>> Then NetSetMan is your solution. It will do the work for you.
>> http://www.netsetman.com/
>> Noncommercial freeware
>>

> Ta for the suggestion Dave, but my problem is simply that since
> returning from holiday, the home network no longer works as it did.
> To recap; it is a simple infrastructure network.... Win XP Home on the
> main PC and on the notebook. D-Link wireless access point connected to
> the main PC. Main PC set up with file and printer sharing, and with
> Internet Connection Sharing enabled.
> If the main PC is on when the notebook boots up, the notebook
> immediately connects to the wireless network, and I can access files
> and folders on the main PC.
> If the main PC is connected to the internet, the notebook *should*
> also be connected to the internet. I *should* be able to start an
> email client and receive email via the wireless network. Same with a
> browser. This was all working fine, and had been for several months,
> prior to going away for a couple of weeks.
> However, if I now start Thunderbird, Firefox, or IE the notebook tries
> to dial up.
>
> In other words, Internet Connection Sharing is no longer working.
>
> I've gone through all the steps to disable it and re-enable it on the
> main PC, I've reset the access point back to it's factory defaults,
> I've deleted and set up a new wireless network connection on the
> notebook, I've restored the notebook back to a date prior to going
> away. All to no avail.
>
> Is there a registry setting on the notebook that may be incorrect?
>
> I logged on to numerous wireless networks throughout the country in my
> travels and had no problems.

DHCP turned off on the wireless access point?

SteveM

impossible

"Charles Foot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Dave Taylor wrote:
>> Charles Foot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>>> Sorry, not an option..... no broadband here on Great Barrier
>>> Island.
>>> I just need to be able to access the internet via the other
>>> machine when it is online and dial up when it's not.
>>>

>> NetsetMan
>> Are you tired of changing your network configuration every day on
>> your notebook or computer?
>> The same procedure every day?
>>
>> On the go: changing...
>> At home: changing...
>> In the office: changing...
>>
>> Then NetSetMan is your solution. It will do the work for you.
>> http://www.netsetman.com/
>> Noncommercial freeware
>>

> Ta for the suggestion Dave, but my problem is simply that since
> returning from holiday, the home network no longer works as it did.
> To recap; it is a simple infrastructure network.... Win XP Home on
> the main PC and on the notebook. D-Link wireless access point
> connected to the main PC. Main PC set up with file and printer
> sharing, and with Internet Connection Sharing enabled.
> If the main PC is on when the notebook boots up, the notebook
> immediately connects to the wireless network, and I can access files
> and folders on the main PC.
> If the main PC is connected to the internet, the notebook *should*
> also be connected to the internet. I *should* be able to start an
> email client and receive email via the wireless network. Same with a
> browser.
> This was all working fine, and had been for several months, prior to
> going away for a couple of weeks.
> However, if I now start Thunderbird, Firefox, or IE the notebook
> tries to dial up.
>
> In other words, Internet Connection Sharing is no longer working.
>
> I've gone through all the steps to disable it and re-enable it on
> the main PC, I've reset the access point back to it's factory
> defaults, I've deleted and set up a new wireless network connection
> on the notebook, I've restored the notebook back to a date prior to
> going away. All to no avail.
>
> Is there a registry setting on the notebook that may be incorrect?
>
> I logged on to numerous wireless networks throughout the country in
> my travels and had no problems.

I'm a little confused. If your home network includes a router and a
stand-alone wireless access point, then it's -- as you say -- an
infrastructure network. But with this setup you don't need internet
connection sharing, because each machine connects independently. If,
on the other hand, all you have is a wireless access point attached to
your desktop, and you're trying to access the internet on your
notebook via that, then you need to configure this as an ad hoc
wireless network, which of course does require internet connection
sharing -- but also a different setup both for your notebook wireless
card and for Windows Wireless Network Properties. It sounds as if the
ad hoc network setup is what you actually had working before your
trip, but since you now refer to this as an "infrastructure network",
I suspect that when you first had trouble connecting again back home
(maybe only because your "preferred" network connection had changed in
the meantime) you fiddled with a few things you shouldn't have.

At this point, with so many changes having been made to your network
configuration, it's probably going to be impossible for you to trace
out exactly what you did wrong. So just start over again from scratch.
Maybe this link will help:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

sam

impossible wrote:
> [...]

> notebook via that, then you need to configure this as an ad hoc
> wireless network, which of course does require internet connection
> sharing -- but also a different setup both for your notebook wireless
> card and for Windows Wireless Network Properties. It sounds as if the
> ad hoc network setup is what you actually had working before your
> trip, but since you now refer to this as an "infrastructure network",
> I suspect that when you first had trouble connecting again back home
> (maybe only because your "preferred" network connection had changed in
> the meantime) you fiddled with a few things you shouldn't have.
>
> At this point, with so many changes having been made to your network
> configuration, it's probably going to be impossible for you to trace
> out exactly what you did wrong. So just start over again from scratch.

Try "Repair Connection"

Warwick

On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:05:22 +1200, Charles Foot wrote:

> Hi people,
> I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
> holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
> hotspots every day to do my daily work.
> Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
> gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
> Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
> talks to the other machine.
> The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
> MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
> I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
> I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the
> notebook immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and
> can access files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or
> Thunderbird while the other machine is connected to the net, the
> notebook always tries to dial up.
> Any ideas?

Just been thru a very similair problem, connected to wifi
but not internet, cannot ping DLink gateway.
Rebooted the DLink modem, could ping DLink gateway, but
still no DNS service.
Changed the DNS server setting in TCP/IP properties to
xtra's own DNS server. (202.27.158.40).

All good, but slightly weird.
--

cheers

Charles Foot

Warwick wrote:
> On Thu, 03 May 2007 13:05:22 +1200, Charles Foot wrote:
>
>> Hi people,
>> I have an Acer notebook with WiFi built in. Took it away with me on
>> holiday on the mainland recently and hooked into Telecom broadband
>> hotspots every day to do my daily work.
>> Back home now, and it is now refusing to access the internet via the
>> gateway machine which has a D-Link access point attached to it.
>> Nothing has been changed on the gateway machine, and the notebook still
>> talks to the other machine.
>> The only change was that the day I got back, there was an update from
>> MSoft (came via dial-up on the notebook).
>> I've tried rolling back to a date prior to going away, with no joy. And,
>> I've tried everything else I can think of to no avail. Still the
>> notebook immediately connects to the wireless network on startup, and
>> can access files on the gateway machine, but if I start Firefox or
>> Thunderbird while the other machine is connected to the net, the
>> notebook always tries to dial up.
>> Any ideas?

> Just been thru a very similair problem, connected to wifi
> but not internet, cannot ping DLink gateway.
> Rebooted the DLink modem, could ping DLink gateway, but
> still no DNS service.
> Changed the DNS server setting in TCP/IP properties to
> xtra's own DNS server. (202.27.158.40).
>
> All good, but slightly weird.

Hmmmm; interesting. I'm with Slingshot. I'll give that a try and see
what happens.
It's really strange that everything was working flawlessly at home prior
to going away. I didn't need to change any settings on the notebook....
just drove within range of any Telecom Mobile Broadband Hotspot and it
would connect. Obviously nothing changed at home as there was nobody
there, but upon returning it no longer works...