Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > External hard drive - airport x-ray machines

External hard drive - airport x-ray machines

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

Ok next question.
I was looking at using memory stix to transfer files to before the
computer goes in the housepack BUT the number I need and the cost had
me looking at external hdd's instead. Overall, seems a less expensive
method of being able to carry valuable files with me.

I have 2 hdd on one machineand need to transfer between 40 and 60 gb
in total from the two drives and an unknown amount on another machine.

Now, the problem is I most likely will go through a total of 3 airport
security checkpoints in the US [and 4 if AKL domestic has one as
well].

Will the contents be 'wiped' or not?
Any precautions I should take - packaging to carry/turbulence; x-rays
etc?

This hdd will be in my briefcase [my carryons get gate checked for
puddle jumper flights].

Once the housepack/computers arrive in NZ safely, I won't need the hdd
- just have too many valuable files i.e. medical, family history,
work etc I don't want to loose should the container go overboard
or the ship sinks!

TIA,

Cath

Jason Fanning

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

> Will the contents be 'wiped' or not?
> Any precautions I should take - packaging to carry/turbulence; x-rays
> etc?
>
> This hdd will be in my briefcase [my carryons get gate checked for
> puddle jumper flights].

No they won't get wiped. Just make sure they won't move around in your
bag and you will be fine.

EMB

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

> Will the contents be 'wiped' or not?

My laptop has survived more airport x-rays than I care to think about so
you should be fine.

Jerry

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
> Ok next question.
> I was looking at using memory stix to transfer files to before the
> computer goes in the housepack BUT the number I need and the cost had
> me looking at external hdd's instead. Overall, seems a less expensive
> method of being able to carry valuable files with me.
>
> I have 2 hdd on one machineand need to transfer between 40 and 60 gb
> in total from the two drives and an unknown amount on another machine.
>
> Now, the problem is I most likely will go through a total of 3 airport
> security checkpoints in the US [and 4 if AKL domestic has one as
> well].
>
> Will the contents be 'wiped' or not?
> Any precautions I should take - packaging to carry/turbulence; x-rays
> etc?
>
> This hdd will be in my briefcase [my carryons get gate checked for
> puddle jumper flights].
>
> Once the housepack/computers arrive in NZ safely, I won't need the hdd
> - just have too many valuable files i.e. medical, family history,
> work etc I don't want to loose should the container go overboard
> or the ship sinks!

X-rays have no effect on magnetic media. It will be safe unless you drop
it or it has some other accident.

Gordon

On Tue, 01 May 2007 01:19:40 -0500, texan....usenet wrote:

> Once the housepack/computers arrive in NZ safely, I won't need the hdd -
> just have too many valuable files i.e. medical, family history, work
> etc

Why not keep backing up to the external HD?

On 2 May 2007 05:57:12 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 May 2007 01:19:40 -0500, texan....usenet wrote:
>
>> Once the housepack/computers arrive in NZ safely, I won't need the hdd -
>> just have too many valuable files i.e. medical, family history, work
>> etc

>Why not keep backing up to the external HD?

Actually never thought of that.
With this machine now having had 4 replacement hdd's I should have!
No excuse.

The last hdd replacement took place just after it came out of
warranty, the first thing I did was ensure it was not the same brand
that Dell kept installing [WD]. If they can have a lemon law for
cars, then there should be one for other bits and pieces!

Shhh I still use floppies....

Most of the files I have hard copies of however I want moveable copies
'just in case'.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cath

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

> The last hdd replacement took place just after it came out of
> warranty, the first thing I did was ensure it was not the same brand
> that Dell kept installing [WD].

Next time, don't buy a name-brand PC, put together a white-box machine
instead. You get more flexibility that way.

> Shhh I still use floppies....

Get a CD/DVD writer and start backing up to optical. Your backups should
last longer that way. Most of my vital personal documents fit comfortably
on just a handful of CDs.

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:15:20 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom. . wrote:
>
>> The last hdd replacement took place just after it came out of
>> warranty, the first thing I did was ensure it was not the same brand
>> that Dell kept installing [WD].

>Next time, don't buy a name-brand PC, put together a white-box machine
>instead. You get more flexibility that way.

>> Shhh I still use floppies....

>Get a CD/DVD writer and start backing up to optical. Your backups should
>last longer that way. Most of my vital personal documents fit comfortably
>on just a handful of CDs.

Already have. This is a personal preference. For day to day stuff
it is much easier and quicker to deal with than writing to cd/dvd's .
I backup to cd's when required but have copies of all 'vital
documents' i.e. birth certs, legal etc etc on cd.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

> For day to day stuff [floppies are] much easier and quicker to deal with
> than writing to cd/dvd's .

I used to use Zip disks for that purpose--floppies were just too much
trouble.

Nowadays I just make sure there's a second copy of my current stuff on one
of my older machines. Two hard drives in two physically separate machines
are a lot more reliable than one.