Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Stolen Laptop

Stolen Laptop

bevan.dunning@gmail.com

My flat got broken into today and had my laptop stolen.

I was wondering if anybody has gone through this or has any
suggestions for steps I may take either to possibly track it down or
prevent identity theft kind of stuff.

I've gone though all my email accounts and changed passwords etc.
I had vista installed with password protected user accounts and had
most of my data backed up so I'm not too worried about it all.

I basically would like to know if anyone has any advice I may not
otherwise have thought of.

btw. it was an Acer TM8204WLMI. I don't think these can even be
purchased (I havn't seen any, I purchased in Canada) in NZ so if you
see one . . .

Cheers

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> My flat got broken into today and had my laptop stolen.
>
> I was wondering if anybody has gone through this or has any
> suggestions for steps I may take either to possibly track it down or
> prevent identity theft kind of stuff.
>
> I've gone though all my email accounts and changed passwords etc.
> I had vista installed with password protected user accounts and had
> most of my data backed up so I'm not too worried about it all.
>
> I basically would like to know if anyone has any advice I may not
> otherwise have thought of.
>
> btw. it was an Acer TM8204WLMI. I don't think these can even be
> purchased (I havn't seen any, I purchased in Canada) in NZ so if you
> see one . . .
>

> Cheers

Keep an eye on Trademe and the Trade & Exchange paper [website].
There used to be one guy here (German name, forgot what it was, used to sell a
lot of Mac stuff) who managed to track down the thieves that broke into his
place that way). He had a hard time getting the cops to help him nab the
bastards, though, i.i.r.c. (snide comment about poh-leece deleted)

-P.

XPD

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...

> Keep an eye on Trademe and the Trade & Exchange paper [website].
> There used to be one guy here (German name, forgot what it was, used to
> sell a
> lot of Mac stuff) who managed to track down the thieves that broke into
> his
> place that way). He had a hard time getting the cops to help him nab the
> bastards, though, i.i.r.c. (snide comment about poh-leece deleted)

Was that the guy who worked for Auckland uni youre thinking about ?
Laptops got stolen, he saw advert in T&E for similar laptop, went to sellers
house and found it was his - all his files were still on it. Got his mate to
disctract the "seller" while he called the cops

thingy

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> My flat got broken into today and had my laptop stolen.
>>
>> I was wondering if anybody has gone through this or has any
>> suggestions for steps I may take either to possibly track it down or
>> prevent identity theft kind of stuff.
>>
>> I've gone though all my email accounts and changed passwords etc.
>> I had vista installed with password protected user accounts and had
>> most of my data backed up so I'm not too worried about it all.
>>
>> I basically would like to know if anyone has any advice I may not
>> otherwise have thought of.
>>
>> btw. it was an Acer TM8204WLMI. I don't think these can even be
>> purchased (I havn't seen any, I purchased in Canada) in NZ so if you
>> see one . . .
>>

>> Cheers

> Keep an eye on Trademe and the Trade & Exchange paper [website].
> There used to be one guy here (German name, forgot what it was, used to sell a
> lot of Mac stuff) who managed to track down the thieves that broke into his
> place that way). He had a hard time getting the cops to help him nab the
> bastards, though, i.i.r.c. (snide comment about poh-leece deleted)
>
> -P.

I agree several simple searches on trademe and a key word save
(something like "acer laptop", "Acer TM", "Acer TM8") so its emailed
every morning to you...dunno if T&E do it as well......

I'd expect it to be fenced and if it is unique as you suggest then
keeping an eye on the online auctions would be my way.....

regards

Thing

Peter Huebner

says...

> Was that the guy who worked for Auckland uni youre thinking about ?

That's him. Markus Winter or something like that (heh, I haven't even had my
cup of coffee yet!) - I think he finished at uni and went back to the old
country.

-P.

none

XPD wrote:
> Was that the guy who worked for Auckland uni youre thinking about ?
> Laptops got stolen, he saw advert in T&E for similar laptop, went to sellers
> house and found it was his - all his files were still on it. Got his mate to
> disctract the "seller" while he called the cops

A customer of the ISP I work for had a laptop stolen, but noticed
activity on her dialup connection the day or two after.

A couple of phone calls and a warrant later, the Police visited the
house that the dialup calls originated from (gotta love caller-id) and
recovered the stolen machine.