Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Old Computer Cords and Cables

Old Computer Cords and Cables

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

In the recent exchange about selling or giving away old computers
Allistar said he was going to send a quantity of j'jug' cords to the
tip.

A better home for these is to give them to any scrap metal
dealer. They burn off the plastic and recover the copper, in a
controlled environment.

If you have a large enough collection of cords they may even pay
you a few dollars for them.
Lindsay Rollo
Wellington, New Zealand

~misfit~

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> In the recent exchange about selling or giving away old computers
> Allistar said he was going to send a quantity of j'jug' cords to the
> tip.
>
> A better home for these is to give them to any scrap metal
> dealer. They burn off the plastic and recover the copper, in a
> controlled environment.

I have a problem with this. I've seen at least one scrap dealers "controlled
environment". It was belching black smoke out the chimney. There's not
enough money in scrap for each scrap dealer to have a state-of-the-art
method of cleanly burning off the plastic. Did you see my pic of a drawer
full of these cords?

(I'm on the verge of reporting my neighbour for burning plastic with his
rubbish in a 44 gallon drum each week. If I have washing out I have to
re-wash it and, if the wind is blowing the way it normally does I often get
headaches. Not to mention the effect on the environment/atmosphere. It's an
Islander family, not open to suggestions about how to do things. I thought
when weekly kerbside recycling started here last year that maybe they'd stop
burning plastic. Not so. I might try talking to them before calling I take
the step of calling the fire brigade. Trouble is, if I do that, and they
ignore me, they'll know who calls the fire brigade and council. I don't want
to be a target.)

> If you have a large enough collection of cords they may even pay
> you a few dollars for them.
> Lindsay Rollo
> Wellington, New Zealand

I could use a few dollars but finding a scrap dealer who is actually going
to burn off the insulation in an evironmentally-friendly way (if such a
process actually exists) would probably cost me more than the few dollars.

Have you seen "An Inconvenient Truth" yet? Shame about the little faux-pas
about Pacific islanders and NZ in the movie, it could ruin the message for a
lot of NZers.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Dave Taylor

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Trouble is, if I do that, and they
> ignore me, they'll know who calls the fire brigade and council. I
> don't want to be a target.)

The FD or council probably has some advice on how to approach this
politely. I bet they have a pamphlet or something they cam mail out to
them. You don't even have to go to the mail box.

--
Ciao, Dave

~misfit~

Dave Taylor wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Trouble is, if I do that, and they
> > ignore me, they'll know who calls the fire brigade and council. I
> > don't want to be a target.)
> >

> The FD or council probably has some advice on how to approach this
> politely. I bet they have a pamphlet or something they cam mail out
> to them. You don't even have to go to the mail box.

Good point, thanks. I'll look into it.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.