Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HDD temperature monitor

HDD temperature monitor

Ray Greene

Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
simultaneously.

--
Ray Greene

Ken Yates@yahooken.com

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:05:07 +1200, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
>Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
>simultaneously.

This one is great, shows temp on all drives in the taskbar, a bit old but it works.

DTEMP or HDTEMP when installed.

http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

Ray Greene

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:25:41 +1200, Ken http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:05:07 +1200, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
>>Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
>>simultaneously.

>This one is great, shows temp on all drives in the taskbar, a bit old but it works.
>

>DTEMP or HDTEMP when installed.
>
>http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

That's a good one, thanks.

--
Ray Greene

Craig Sutton

"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
> Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
> simultaneously.

You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your fans.

Ray Greene

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:12:58 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
>> Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
>> simultaneously.
>>

>You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your fans.

The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.

--
Ray Greene

bAZZ

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:09:11 +1200, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:12:58 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> "Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
>>> Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
>>> simultaneously.
>>>

>> You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your
>> fans.

> The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
> can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.

I seem to recall an older promise raid card I had contained a utility just
like that with the cd that it came with. Maybe that sort of thing would
read another card ? Not a lot of help I know but I did use that one once
to do it just to see if it worked. Maybe you could look/search for it but
I cannot be much help with name, version etc etc .Sorry. Good luck

bAZZ

Dave Taylor

Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
> can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.

3Ware are supposed to have very good tech support and are linux friendly.
Try asking them if they have a tool, or will consider adding that to a tool
they already have for other status of the array...

--
Ciao, Dave

Ray Greene

On 24 Apr 2007 18:47:11 +1200, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
>> can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.
>>

>3Ware are supposed to have very good tech support and are linux friendly.
>Try asking them if they have a tool, or will consider adding that to a tool
>they already have for other status of the array...

Good idea, I'll do that.

--
Ray Greene

Ken Yates@yahooken.com

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:09:11 +1200, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:12:58 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
>>> Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
>>> simultaneously.
>>>

>>You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your fans.

>The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
>can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.

This kind of setup I have used before, but don't remember the software that I used, but it has to be
set for SCSI.

Don't forget that these add on cards do have firmware updates, my Promise one had a few updates, and
a Driver to support SMART

My system with a onboard iTE IDE RAID controller works ok, and the drives IDE, are listed as SCSI
ones, under System/Hardware.

But I did have some SMART software that did not work with my Promise card.

Ray Greene

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:11:22 +1200, bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:09:11 +1200, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:12:58 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> "Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your
>>> fans.

>> The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
>> can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.
>>

>I seem to recall an older promise raid card I had contained a utility just
>like that with the cd that it came with. Maybe that sort of thing would
>read another card ? Not a lot of help I know but I did use that one once
>to do it just to see if it worked. Maybe you could look/search for it but
>I cannot be much help with name, version etc etc .Sorry. Good luck

I've found a package called Smartmontools which is said to be able to
access SMART data through a 3ware card so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I'll give the Promise.utility a go if Smartmontools doesn't do the
job.

--
Ray Greene