Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dedicated server hosting

dedicated server hosting

brazen

Hi all,

We need a *reliable* company for managed dedicated server hosting for
a fairly busy website. Anyone have any recommendations - I really need
them to be online 24/7.

And, as a newbie to all this hardware stuff (not my forte!!), how does
it work with traffic and busy sites. Is there a way of keeping traffic
costs down in terms of what is the best way to buy it?

I realise that the big sites would house it on a server in house, but
that really isnt an option for us - what is the best way of doing
this??

Any recommendations of companies to approach?

Gay

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Hi all,
>
> We need a *reliable* company for managed dedicated server hosting for
> a fairly busy website. Anyone have any recommendations - I really need
> them to be online 24/7.
>
> And, as a newbie to all this hardware stuff (not my forte!!), how does
> it work with traffic and busy sites. Is there a way of keeping traffic
> costs down in terms of what is the best way to buy it?
>
> I realise that the big sites would house it on a server in house, but
> that really isnt an option for us - what is the best way of doing
> this??
>
> Any recommendations of companies to approach?

I really like Godaddy. But to properly ans. your question I think you
need to know:
* the TLD...
.... (and if you care whether for eg the .nz traffic actually goes to a
server hosted in USA). Otherwise you're looking at an NZ host (and I've
had a lot of problems with those). Be careful too, that the NZ host
really *does* host their servers *here* and not 'hired out' from USA.

* the backend requirements (database, and also technology (php, aspx,
payment processing (online shop), etc)) - although all the biggies seem
to cover the lot.

--
Duncan

Shane

brazen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We need a *reliable* company for managed dedicated server hosting for
> a fairly busy website. Anyone have any recommendations - I really need
> them to be online 24/7.
>
> And, as a newbie to all this hardware stuff (not my forte!!), how does
> it work with traffic and busy sites. Is there a way of keeping traffic
> costs down in terms of what is the best way to buy it?

What sort of budget ($) are you talking, and what sort of budget (traffic)
are you thinking.
If you look at US hosting, the company I work for offers something like
2000GB/mo (2TB) for their dedicated servers (from New York Datacenters, and
not managed.. any work done is charged over and above the hosting rate)

> I realise that the big sites would house it on a server in house, but
> that really isnt an option for us - what is the best way of doing
> this??
>
> Any recommendations of companies to approach?
>
> Gay

From a traffic POV go US.
I trust you googled the hosts you are looking at. Where I work recommends
that prospective customers google us for an idea of our reputation.

thingy

Shane wrote:
> brazen wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We need a *reliable* company for managed dedicated server hosting for
>> a fairly busy website. Anyone have any recommendations - I really need
>> them to be online 24/7.
>>
>> And, as a newbie to all this hardware stuff (not my forte!!), how does
>> it work with traffic and busy sites. Is there a way of keeping traffic
>> costs down in terms of what is the best way to buy it?
>>

> What sort of budget ($) are you talking, and what sort of budget (traffic)
> are you thinking.
> If you look at US hosting, the company I work for offers something like
> 2000GB/mo (2TB) for their dedicated servers (from New York Datacenters, and
> not managed.. any work done is charged over and above the hosting rate)
>
>> I realise that the big sites would house it on a server in house, but
>> that really isnt an option for us - what is the best way of doing
>> this??
>>
>> Any recommendations of companies to approach?
>>
>> Gay

> From a traffic POV go US.
> I trust you googled the hosts you are looking at. Where I work recommends
> that prospective customers google us for an idea of our reputation.

I agree, crazy as it sounds it looks to be cheaper to host a site in the
USA for NZers (to access0, than in NZ. Some of this is scale
(10'thousands of web sites v thousands), some good competition for
networks costs......ie here I think that the likes of Telecom and Clear
with their backbones screw everyone over....

regards

Thing

EMB

brazen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We need a *reliable* company for managed dedicated server hosting for
> a fairly busy website. Anyone have any recommendations - I really need
> them to be online 24/7.
>
> And, as a newbie to all this hardware stuff (not my forte!!), how does
> it work with traffic and busy sites. Is there a way of keeping traffic
> costs down in terms of what is the best way to buy it?
>
> I realise that the big sites would house it on a server in house, but
> that really isnt an option for us - what is the best way of doing
> this??

As others have commented the biggest factor is going to be where your
traffic is generated. If it's predominately NZ traffic then it is
probably a very good idea to host in NZ (despite the costs). I've just
been down this track for one of my clients and the best solution both in
terms of performance and cost has been to telehouse a self-managed
server locally.

Stu Fleming

brazen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We need a *reliable* company for managed dedicated server hosting for
> a fairly busy website. Anyone have any recommendations - I really need
> them to be online 24/7.

If the page views/hits are in line with what you indicated previously,
you probably do need to look at dedicated server hosting and/or
dedicated bandwidth.

You possibly also need to consider a full load balanced/clustered solution.

Where is your target audience - NZ or overseas?
What platform do you expect to host on - Web technology/server/operating
system.

> I realise that the big sites would house it on a server in house, but
> that really isnt an option for us - what is the best way of doing
> this??

Start with a shared hosting solution on an NZ (e.g. iserve) or US (e.g.
dreamhost) web farm, migrate to dedicated server housing (e.g.
rackspace.com) as required.

We do shared and dedicated Web hosting and our uptime is pretty good,
but I don't know if we can satisfy all of your requirements. Contact
off-list if you need to discuss further,

Regards,
Stu

brazen

On Apr 19, 10:56 pm, Stu Fleming <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> brazen wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > We need a *reliable* company for managed dedicated server hosting for
> > a fairly busy website. Anyone have any recommendations - I really need
> > them to be online 24/7.

> If the page views/hits are in line with what you indicated previously,
> you probably do need to look at dedicated server hosting and/or
> dedicated bandwidth.

What does dedicated bandwidth mean and what kind of $ is it.

> You possibly also need to consider a full load balanced/clustered solution.
>
> Where is your target audience - NZ or overseas?
> What platform do you expect to host on - Web technology/server/operating
> system.

NZ audience, ASP .NET with pretty heavy outgoing email.

> > I realise that the big sites would house it on a server in house, but
> > that really isnt an option for us - what is the best way of doing
> > this??

> Start with a shared hosting solution on an NZ (e.g. iserve) or US (e.g.
> dreamhost) web farm, migrate to dedicated server housing (e.g.
> rackspace.com) as required.

Yes the sites still in trial stage at the moment and is on shared, but
once its up and running fully it will need to be very robust.

> We do shared and dedicated Web hosting and our uptime is pretty good,
> but I don't know if we can satisfy all of your requirements. Contact
> off-list if you need to discuss further,

What part of the country are you Stu?

Gay

Stu Fleming

brazen wrote:

> What does dedicated bandwidth mean and what kind of $ is it.

Network connection solely or mostly used for your server traffic.
Around $100/month/Mbps for national NZ connections, but that varies with
location.

> What part of the country are you Stu?

Based in Dunedin.

brazen

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news:f06ikm$4h5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> brazen wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We need a *reliable* company for managed dedicated server hosting for
>> a fairly busy website. Anyone have any recommendations - I really need
>> them to be online 24/7.
>>
>> And, as a newbie to all this hardware stuff (not my forte!!), how does
>> it work with traffic and busy sites. Is there a way of keeping traffic
>> costs down in terms of what is the best way to buy it?
>>

> What sort of budget ($) are you talking, and what sort of budget (traffic)
> are you thinking.
> If you look at US hosting, the company I work for offers something like
> 2000GB/mo (2TB) for their dedicated servers (from New York Datacenters,
> and
> not managed.. any work done is charged over and above the hosting rate)
>
>> I realise that the big sites would house it on a server in house, but
>> that really isnt an option for us - what is the best way of doing
>> this??
>>
>> Any recommendations of companies to approach?
>>
>> Gay

> From a traffic POV go US.
> I trust you googled the hosts you are looking at. Where I work recommends
> that prospective customers google us for an idea of our reputation.

Hi, Most of our traffic is NZ and we want to keep with Kiwi co's too. Thanks
anyway shane

gay

brazen

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:f06t5j$ju3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> brazen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We need a *reliable* company for managed dedicated server hosting for
>> a fairly busy website. Anyone have any recommendations - I really need
>> them to be online 24/7.
>>
>> And, as a newbie to all this hardware stuff (not my forte!!), how does
>> it work with traffic and busy sites. Is there a way of keeping traffic
>> costs down in terms of what is the best way to buy it?
>>
>> I realise that the big sites would house it on a server in house, but
>> that really isnt an option for us - what is the best way of doing
>> this??
>>

> As others have commented the biggest factor is going to be where your
> traffic is generated. If it's predominately NZ traffic then it is
> probably a very good idea to host in NZ (despite the costs). I've just
> been down this track for one of my clients and the best solution both in
> terms of performance and cost has been to telehouse a self-managed server
> locally.

Is that in Ak, EMB? Who did you end up with? No problems?

gay