Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mobile Number Portability

Mobile Number Portability

El Chippy

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:38:06 +1200, Basil.Fawlty wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
>
> I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my number to
> be switched from one network to the other.
>
> Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that was
> eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then I've
> had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
> lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman tells
> me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch. Given
> the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
> problems I find this hard to beleive.
>
> So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
> from Vodafone to Telecom?
>
> Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

A friend notified me he had switched from vodafone to telecom, but texting
his number to 300 gets me a reply that 021XXXXXXXX is curently an active
number on vodafones network yada yada yada..."
So either he hasn't been switched like he thought, or the notification
system is nerfed.

Will this number portability spell the end of calling plans within
networks ie Vodafone to Vodafone? I cant see how they expect everyone to
check every number they might want to call to see which network it is on.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...age_no=1#66095
at least one person appears to have been switched over.

Basil.Fawlty

Ken Yates@yahooken.com

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:38:06 +1200, Basil.Fawlty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
>
>I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my number to
>be switched from one network to the other.
>
>Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that was
>eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then I've
>had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
>lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman tells
>me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch. Given
>the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
>problems I find this hard to beleive.
>
>So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
>from Vodafone to Telecom?
>
>Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
>
>Thanks
>
>Paul

But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed down in OZZ.

CM

On 10 Apr, 18:38, Basil.Fawlty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
>
> I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my number to
> be switched from one network to the other.
>
> Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that was
> eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then I've
> had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
> lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman tells
> me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch. Given
> the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
> problems I find this hard to beleive.
>
> So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
> from Vodafone to Telecom?
>
> Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Well Mr Fawlty which network have you changed from/to? I'm an
electronics saleman...most in the trade are completely useless.
Contact the phone company directly be they Telecom or Vodafone.

Rob

<Ken http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:38:06 +1200, Basil.Fawlty
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
>>
>>I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my
>>number to
>>be switched from one network to the other.
>>
>>Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that
>>was
>>eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then
>>I've
>>had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
>>lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman
>>tells
>>me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch.
>>Given
>>the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
>>problems I find this hard to beleive.
>>
>>So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile
>>number
>>from Vodafone to Telecom?
>>
>>Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Paul

> But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed down
> in OZZ.

CDMA will still be around for at least 5 more years, maybe even 10. Look at
the 025 network, which lasted for many additonal years.

oncleglenn@fireplace.slippers.pipe

On , , 10 Apr 2007 03:42:29 -0700, Re: Mobile Number Portability,
"CM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 10 Apr, 18:38, Basil.Fawlty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone successfully ported a mobile number from Vodafone to Telecom?
>>
>> I signed up for this on Monday April 2nd and am still waiting for my number to
>> be switched from one network to the other.
>>
>> Initially the salesman told me it would be done within 4 hours, well that was
>> eight days ago. I know Easter is included in that eight days. Since then I've
>> had a variety of deadlines when the exchange was supposed to happen. The
>> lastest time given was this morning, but that didn't happen. The salesman tells
>> me that no-one in the whole country has been able to make this switch. Given
>> the total lack of any stories in the media, or any posts here about such
>> problems I find this hard to beleive.
>>
>> So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
>> from Vodafone to Telecom?
>>
>> Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Paul

>Well Mr Fawlty which network have you changed from/to?

Duh, it says "from Vodafone to Telecom" in his message, that
gives me a clue, does it you?

Richard

Ken (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed down in OZZ.

So what? I will have a new phone before the network is turned off.

Vodafone have ****ed a lot of people off recently, and are still not
able to shift a number from prepay to a plan. Telecom can.

If you enjoy paying 89c a min to make a call during the day then stay
with telecom, My $50-60 a month prepay usage will become $30-40 on flexi
by my estimates. Thats worth moving for.

Just waiting for a free cdma phone that supports number portability to
fall into my lap. The 3 I have are not capable and the cheap ones at
the telecom shops are not.

Basil.Fawlty

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:11:48 +1200, Ken (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
Snip
>>So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has sucessfully ported their mobile number
>>from Vodafone to Telecom?
>>
>>Any tales of sucess or otherwise would be most welcome.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Paul

>But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed down in OZZ.

To answer your question, which of course you didn't do to mine. I can get a new
Samsung W531 and receive $300 from Telecom for doing so. As this is NZ not
Australia I don't particularly care what is happening across the Tasman. If you
have anything positive, knowlegdeable or interesting to add to this disscussion
please contribute, otherwise sod off.

Paul

Robert Cooze

Richard wrote:
> Ken (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> But why on earth would they, CDMA is on the way out, getting closed
>> down in OZZ.

> So what? I will have a new phone before the network is turned off.
>
> Vodafone have ****ed a lot of people off recently, and are still not
> able to shift a number from prepay to a plan. Telecom can.
>
> If you enjoy paying 89c a min to make a call during the day then stay
> with telecom, My $50-60 a month prepay usage will become $30-40 on flexi
> by my estimates. Thats worth moving for.
>
> Just waiting for a free cdma phone that supports number portability to
> fall into my lap. The 3 I have are not capable and the cheap ones at
> the telecom shops are not.

But all of the Telecom phones are cheep and mostly no brand name stuff
they don't even have a lot of there T3G tm stuff! Its like the so called
3G stuff died a death from the Monolopy that could not support it
because they did not have the Products!

XPD

news:461b90aa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> and the cheap ones at the telecom shops are not.

Really ? Thats not what we got told when picking up the cheapest phone in
the shop for my wife a month ago..... :-/