Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Old Computer Keybord

Old Computer Keybord

Robert Cooze

I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
keyboard was sold by General.

The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.

I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
(excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!

Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
model M.

Rob S

Robert Cooze wrote:
> I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
> days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
> electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
> keyboard was sold by General.
>
> The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
> keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
> prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
> where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
> turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
> caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
> rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
> boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.
>
> I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
> keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
> (excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
> keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!
>
> Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
> model M.

This sounds like a programmable keyboard from an IBM vt100, Wyse 55/60
or somesuch vt100 type terminal. What sort of plug, din, 9 or 15 pin
serial? Sorry, I can't remember the key sequence to get into the inbuilt
key-mapping software if it is from a vt100 terminal emulator. With some
of those old keyboards you could pop the keys out easily to give them a
decent clean.

--

Rob
http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

cthread. cthread_fork(). Fork, thread, fork!

Robert Cooze

Rob S wrote:
> Robert Cooze wrote:
>> I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
>> days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
>> electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
>> keyboard was sold by General.
>>
>> The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
>> keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
>> prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
>> where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
>> turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
>> caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
>> rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
>> boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.
>>
>> I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
>> keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
>> (excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
>> keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!
>>
>> Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
>> model M.

> This sounds like a programmable keyboard from an IBM vt100, Wyse 55/60
> or somesuch vt100 type terminal. What sort of plug, din, 9 or 15 pin
> serial? Sorry, I can't remember the key sequence to get into the inbuilt
> key-mapping software if it is from a vt100 terminal emulator. With some
> of those old keyboards you could pop the keys out easily to give them a
> decent clean.

It has the large din connection it also has a at xt swich if that is any
help. as for the cleaning the keyboard responded well to IPA galss
cleaner and spray and wipe! also the cable is encapsulated to the
keyboard and is nice and long! It also has a tiltable function key map
compleat with Microsoft word v5.0 and Lotus 1-2-3 r3.1 key maps

Jeremy

I had one of these it came with a 3x6 machine we brought from pc general
here in NZ. sorry cannot remember software used to enable function keys,
inbuit calculator was a great feature.

sorry cant help more

Jeremy

Robert Cooze wrote:
> Rob S wrote:
>> Robert Cooze wrote:
>>> I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
>>> days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
>>> electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
>>> keyboard was sold by General.
>>>
>>> The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
>>> keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
>>> prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
>>> where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
>>> turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
>>> caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
>>> rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
>>> boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.
>>>
>>> I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
>>> keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
>>> (excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
>>> keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!
>>>
>>> Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
>>> model M.

>> This sounds like a programmable keyboard from an IBM vt100, Wyse 55/60
>> or somesuch vt100 type terminal. What sort of plug, din, 9 or 15 pin
>> serial? Sorry, I can't remember the key sequence to get into the inbuilt
>> key-mapping software if it is from a vt100 terminal emulator. With some
>> of those old keyboards you could pop the keys out easily to give them a
>> decent clean.
>>

> It has the large din connection it also has a at xt swich if that is any
> help. as for the cleaning the keyboard responded well to IPA galss
> cleaner and spray and wipe! also the cable is encapsulated to the
> keyboard and is nice and long! It also has a tiltable function key map
> compleat with Microsoft word v5.0 and Lotus 1-2-3 r3.1 key maps

Greg

From what I can remember, the big din and mini din (ps/2) are electrically
the same (make sure it's not switched to xt), you may be able to pick up and
adaptor and plug it straight in to the ps/2 keyboard port. careful though
those keyboards with built in calculators where known to spike the power
supply when they are plugged/unplugged with the computer powered up and end
up frying the computer, so I would only plug/unplug it in the powered down
state. As for the software, cant help you there.

Greg

"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46194fe6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
> days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
> electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
> keyboard was sold by General.
>
> The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
> keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
> prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
> where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
> turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
> caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
> rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
> boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.
>
> I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
> keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
> (excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
> keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!
>
> Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
> model M.
> --
> http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze
>
> / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
> / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
> ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/

Robert Cooze

Greg wrote:
> From what I can remember, the big din and mini din (ps/2) are electrically
> the same (make sure it's not switched to xt), you may be able to pick up and
> adaptor and plug it straight in to the ps/2 keyboard port. careful though
> those keyboards with built in calculators where known to spike the power
> supply when they are plugged/unplugged with the computer powered up and end
> up frying the computer, so I would only plug/unplug it in the powered down
> state. As for the software, cant help you there.
>
> Greg
>

> "Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46194fe6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
>> days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
>> electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
>> keyboard was sold by General.
>>
>> The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
>> keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
>> prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
>> where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
>> turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
>> caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
>> rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
>> boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.
>>
>> I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
>> keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
>> (excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
>> keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!
>>
>> Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
>> model M.
>> --
>> http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze
>>
>> / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
>> / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
>> ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/

Yep Have the thing going just querying about the extra keys. The wife
has found it a keyboard for very fast typing.

Robert Cooze

Jeremy wrote:
> I had one of these it came with a 3x6 machine we brought from pc general
> here in NZ. sorry cannot remember software used to enable function keys,
> inbuit calculator was a great feature.
>
> sorry cant help more
>
> Jeremy

This has a general sticker on it. I had said it was sold by general.

Robert Cooze

Jeremy wrote:
> I had one of these it came with a 3x6 machine we brought from pc general
> here in NZ. sorry cannot remember software used to enable function keys,
> inbuit calculator was a great feature.
>
> sorry cant help more
>
> Jeremy
>
> Robert Cooze wrote:
>> Rob S wrote:

>>> This sounds like a programmable keyboard from an IBM vt100, Wyse 55/60
>>> or somesuch vt100 type terminal. What sort of plug, din, 9 or 15 pin
>>> serial? Sorry, I can't remember the key sequence to get into the inbuilt
>>> key-mapping software if it is from a vt100 terminal emulator. With some
>>> of those old keyboards you could pop the keys out easily to give them a
>>> decent clean.
>>>

>> It has the large din connection it also has a at xt swich if that is any
>> help. as for the cleaning the keyboard responded well to IPA galss
>> cleaner and spray and wipe! also the cable is encapsulated to the
>> keyboard and is nice and long! It also has a tiltable function key map
>> compleat with Microsoft word v5.0 and Lotus 1-2-3 r3.1 key maps

Found this link was able to work out how to program the keys!

http://www.dataconnection.com/sna/sx..../3270ug18.htm

Kind of like a cut N paste thing but done by the keyboard.

step one hold down the prog key while holding the PF key
step two press the key stroke sequence
press the PF key again

Rhino

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:55:52 +1200, "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>From what I can remember, the big din and mini din (ps/2) are electrically
>the same (make sure it's not switched to xt), you may be able to pick up and
>adaptor and plug it straight in to the ps/2 keyboard port. careful though
>those keyboards with built in calculators where known to spike the power
>supply when they are plugged/unplugged with the computer powered up and end
>up frying the computer, so I would only plug/unplug it in the powered down
>state. As for the software, cant help you there.
>
>Greg

If anyone knows where to find the AT - PS/2 adaptor that Greg
mentioned, please reply here. I have just changed one of my file
servers from an old AT machine to a new ATX and previously I had an
old keyboard from a Wang PC on the box. It has the best tactile
rsponse of any keyboard that I have ever used and would like to keep
using it if possible. Currently I have a cheap Logitech kayboard on
the box. It's ok, but not a patch on the Wang keyboard.
Cheers, Rhino

Malcolm Moore

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:16:56 +1200, Rhino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If anyone knows where to find the AT - PS/2 adaptor that Greg
>mentioned, please reply here. I have just changed one of my file
>servers from an old AT machine to a new ATX and previously I had an
>old keyboard from a Wang PC on the box. It has the best tactile
>rsponse of any keyboard that I have ever used and would like to keep
>using it if possible. Currently I have a cheap Logitech kayboard on
>the box. It's ok, but not a patch on the Wang keyboard.
>Cheers, Rhino

Dick Smith part no X8207
Jaycar CAT. NO. PL0941
Warehouse Stationary

--
Regards
Malcolm

Re: IDLE dedent/unindent key bindings for non-us keybord? Adriaan Renting Python 1 10-12-2005 01:10 PM
IDLE dedent/unindent key bindings for non-us keybord? gjohannes@gmail.com Python 1 10-05-2005 08:50 AM
keybord problem old Computer Support 3 09-25-2005 02:23 AM
KEYBORD FLKING OUT zxcv Computer Information 3 05-24-2004 11:32 PM
keybord event capture Try Kret C Programming 1 05-22-2004 09:28 AM

Advertisments