Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Is Dead...

Microsoft Is Dead...

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 20:31:03 +1200, Rob S <Here@home> exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>>
>> So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
>> for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
>> of Linux and *BSD combined?
>>

>And that matters to you because ???
>
>Next time you poke your hairy little nose out from under your little
>bridge, have something worth saying will you?

LOL! I reply to a post from the group's biggest troll, making a claim
that the manufacturer of the OS that has about 87% of the market is
"dead", and you call me a troll?

Open your other eye, "Rob".

--

Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Best Rant of the Year Award:

"Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

- E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
supermarket bags...

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 21:37:03 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>> >http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
>> >
>> >"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
>> >readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
>> >and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
>> >a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
>> >the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

>> So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
>> for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
>> of Linux and *BSD combined?

>Huh ???
>You have facts to support that ?

Yes.

--

[...]

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:14:00 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Hi there,
>
>Fred Dagg wrote:
>> On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>

>>>http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
>>>
>>>"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
>>>readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
>>>and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
>>>a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
>>>the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

>> So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
>> for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
>> of Linux and *BSD combined?

>Thats a stat you came up with pretty quickly Fred, where is your data
>source? All I've heard from IT people is that they're not willing to
>run with Vista, because it offers little payback over the investment
>required to install it. Why spend all that money just to upgrade the
>OS, the hardware, and maybe the Office version, just so the sizeable
>majority can do exactly the same work? Thats the reality of why people
>I've talked to are steering clear of Vista...

I wouldn't be giving Vista to non-technical business users, either.
But by the same token, I'd give them Vista well before I gave them
Linux.

>Linux is doing just fine. It doesn't need to rely on selling heaps
>of copies to survive, unlike MS and Vista. MS and Windows is a well
>worn path undoubtedly, but that could be their bugbear with Vista.
>Could Vista really offer so much more than XP could? As for me, I'd
>rather tread a less worn path...

I find Vista fantastic, and haven't looked back once.

--

[...]

Robert Cooze

Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
> http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
>
> "" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
> readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable company,
> and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
> a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other half,
> the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""

Just think about it. IBM was a typewriter company! They made some
computers Passed the mantle to Microsoft. I don't know how many
computers I see that just type letters!!! So the circle is complete.

The Internet thing from Microsoft point of view was something to be
watched, Read web pages/mail , pay for some music and the like. How much
software do they provide to make content? Kind of like the Xtra thing
User content is bad hence the pitiful upload speed.

Now you could say all you need is Word pad or note pad to make stuff for
the net but for some things it is a bad way to go. Yes I like to hand
code the pages and use a ftp agent to upload stuff. I know I ain't that
good at that.

There are many ways to skin a cat. I can use Windows, Apple and Linux
to do what I want to do. Some are much cheaper others are more expensive
most of the software I have used has been of the free and or cheep but
they do the job to my expectation.

My Wife and her folks like to play web based games! you know the type
you find on bigfish games and the like they have one rule for those
places Don't use a Credit card and lie about personal information.

Jack

"Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:46186ffe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> Jack wrote:
>> "Dianthus Mimulus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
>>>
>>>"" I already know what the reaction to this essay will be. Half the
>>>readers will say that Microsoft is still an enormously profitable
>>>company,
>>>and that I should be more careful about drawing conclusions based on what
>>>a few people think in our insular little "Web 2.0" bubble. The other
>>>half,
>>>the younger half, will complain that this is old news. ""
>>>
>>>Dianthus Mimulus
>>>
>>>When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
>>>When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.

>> And others will say how predictable and boring the Linux camp has become
>> and

> Certain elements of the Linux camp are boring and predictable. Don't
> assume we all are.
>
>> even more jealous of Microsoft now that Vista has proved to be a success.

> A success? Most people in IT I've dealt with won't have a bar of it,
> as it would require massive investment in not just licensing, but new
> hardware to meet its requirements. No doubt the Compaqs, Dells, HP's,
> and other retail focused PC guys will include it with new machines,
> so anyone updating to a new machine will get Vista, but the business
> world I think are less eager to delve into Vista just yet.

Vista is the way of the future, and just because, as usual, some of the
business world waits a while before installing a new operating system, this
doesn't mean that Vista is not a success. It takes a while for some software
developers to catch up with new operating systems, and some old hardware
needs to be updated, but these things will happen after a while. This time
next year, I predict that few people and businesses will still be using XP,
they will be using Vista.

>> Attacking the opposition is simply not the way for Linux to gain ground
>> in New Zealand, in fact, it has the reverse effect, it simply puts people
>> off

> Does it? Asked the opinions of a randomly selected few thousands have
> you? I don't think anyone, including you, can make a truly objective
> statement about that. I do agree that it would put some people off,
> myself included, but you state this like its everyones opinion. Its
> not, its just yours.

OK then, in my most humble opinion, if a person is seen to be completely
BIASED when commenting on the merits of a competitor's product, then most
thinking people take into account that this person may be seeking to destroy
the opposition, no matter how good it may be. If you need the opinions of
thousands of randomly selected people to tell you to treat the opinions of a
biased person with great caution, then go ahead and do a research project on
this topic, I'm sure your local University will give you a couple of million
dollars to fund such a ground breaking project.

Jack

"Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> <snip Jack>
>>the Linux camp has become even more jealous of Microsoft

> </snip>
>
> I appreciate that DM is stirring but your reply pretty much wins the
> stupid statement of the day award.
>
> I'd hazard a guess and say nearly all Linux users were/are also users
> of MS software so can make reasonably informed comparisions of what's
> on offer from each camp. From 98 to ME to XP to Vista (roughly 10
> years) there hasn't seemed to be a marked decrease in people using
> Linux. If anything, it's the opposite.
>
> I'd hazard another guess and say there are few MS users who have Linux
> as a secondary boot option and regularly use it. So an MS users
> comments on Linux are pretty much worthless.

DM is repeatedly making posts about anything negative he can find about
Microsoft and implying how inferior Microsoft operating systems are to
Linux. This continuous trolling against Microsoft is completely overdone and
I'm glad that Microsoft users are not continuously originating posts in an
effort to criticize Linux. DM has a fixation against Microsoft to such an
extent that he needs counselling so that he can think about something else
for a change.

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 21:37:03 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> On 8 Apr 2007 12:58:43 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> exclaimed:

> >> So what does that make Linux, considering that after being available
> >> for only 1 month, more people use Vista than every iteration and brand
> >> of Linux and *BSD combined?

> >Huh ???
> >You have facts to support that ?

> Yes.

Guess they must be top secret then.
One hopes you remove the copies microsoft forcibly pushed into channels
because those copies are not sold, they are simply in storage... a
common technique by all sorts to bolster "sales"

Shane

Jack wrote:

> "Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> <snip Jack>
>>>the Linux camp has become even more jealous of Microsoft

>> </snip>
>>
>> I appreciate that DM is stirring but your reply pretty much wins the
>> stupid statement of the day award.
>>
>> I'd hazard a guess and say nearly all Linux users were/are also users
>> of MS software so can make reasonably informed comparisions of what's
>> on offer from each camp. From 98 to ME to XP to Vista (roughly 10
>> years) there hasn't seemed to be a marked decrease in people using
>> Linux. If anything, it's the opposite.
>>
>> I'd hazard another guess and say there are few MS users who have Linux
>> as a secondary boot option and regularly use it. So an MS users
>> comments on Linux are pretty much worthless.

> DM is repeatedly making posts about anything negative he can find about
> Microsoft and implying how inferior Microsoft operating systems are to
> Linux. This continuous trolling against Microsoft is completely overdone
> and I'm glad that Microsoft users are not continuously originating posts
> in an effort to criticize Linux. DM has a fixation against Microsoft to
> such an extent that he needs counselling so that he can think about
> something else for a change.

Then why not
a) Ignore him for the troll he is
or
b) Show his crap up (which is done on a regular basis round here)

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Jack wrote:
> "Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:46186ffe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>Jack wrote:
>>
>>>"Dianthus Mimulus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>And others will say how predictable and boring the Linux camp has become
>>>and

>>Certain elements of the Linux camp are boring and predictable. Don't
>>assume we all are.
>>

>>>even more jealous of Microsoft now that Vista has proved to be a success.

>>A success? Most people in IT I've dealt with won't have a bar of it,
>>as it would require massive investment in not just licensing, but new
>>hardware to meet its requirements. No doubt the Compaqs, Dells, HP's,
>>and other retail focused PC guys will include it with new machines,
>>so anyone updating to a new machine will get Vista, but the business
>>world I think are less eager to delve into Vista just yet.

> Vista is the way of the future, and just because, as usual, some of the
> business world waits a while before installing a new operating system, this
> doesn't mean that Vista is not a success. It takes a while for some software
> developers to catch up with new operating systems, and some old hardware
> needs to be updated, but these things will happen after a while. This time
> next year, I predict that few people and businesses will still be using XP,
> they will be using Vista.

I beg to differ. I predict that a not small number will still be using
Win 2000 as they are today (mine and my partners employers do, and have
no plans to change this). As for those using XP I think some will make
the move to Vista, but I think at the end of a year Vista will not be
as widespread as you would seem to think (or like).

>>>Attacking the opposition is simply not the way for Linux to gain ground
>>>in New Zealand, in fact, it has the reverse effect, it simply puts people
>>>off

>>Does it? Asked the opinions of a randomly selected few thousands have
>>you? I don't think anyone, including you, can make a truly objective
>>statement about that. I do agree that it would put some people off,
>>myself included, but you state this like its everyones opinion. Its
>>not, its just yours.

> OK then, in my most humble opinion, if a person is seen to be completely
> BIASED when commenting on the merits of a competitor's product, then most
> thinking people take into account that this person may be seeking to destroy
> the opposition, no matter how good it may be. If you need the opinions of
> thousands of randomly selected people to tell you to treat the opinions of a
> biased person with great caution, then go ahead and do a research project on
> this topic, I'm sure your local University will give you a couple of million
> dollars to fund such a ground breaking project.

</cynicism>

I'm sure they will not.

Technically speaking Linux is not attacking MS. Its the other way round.
With their strict conditions on some OEM's, patent agenda, and dodgy
dealings it is MS who is actually physically implementing actions to
protect its own interests, at great cost. Meanwhile all that pro Linux
folks can do is comment.

I get annoyed at that constant MS bashing from the 2 main antagonists
in this NG, but really what are they capable of doing against MS? It
is MS and its army of FUD spreading bloggers, paid-for IT experts,
and its other practices, that is capable of actually doing stuff to
prevent Linux/Mac etc from gaining any ground.

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
"Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
or not they wanted all these wars"...

Dianthus Mimulus

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:44:35 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

> Just think about it. IBM was a typewriter company! They made some
> computers Passed the mantle to Microsoft. I don't know how many
> computers I see that just type letters!!! So the circle is complete.

International Business Machines has always, and continues to be, been
involved in supplying all manner of business machinery - all the way from
electric (sic) typewriters to adding machines to collators and up to big
blue mainframes that took up entire floors of a building.

Wasn't IBM the company that invented the original HardDisc drive? I
understand that it was originally the size of a large domestic
refridgerator.

> The Internet thing from Microsoft point of view was something to be
> watched, Read web pages/mail , pay for some music and the like. How much
> software do they provide to make content? Kind of like the Xtra thing
> User content is bad hence the pitiful upload speed.

Agreed. The problem is that, for many persons, the Internet is
predominantly a one-way system. Almost all their activities involve
downloading material from a server, and hardly anything involves uploading
to a server or to another desktop machine.

> Now you could say all you need is Word pad or note pad to make stuff for
> the net but for some things it is a bad way to go. Yes I like to hand
> code the pages and use a ftp agent to upload stuff. I know I ain't that
> good at that.

Neither of those applications works on my desktop box without employing
some sort of emlator or compatibility layer. So yes - those would be a bad
(indeed impossible) way to go. However, Kate works nicely.

I would always use an FTP agent to upload stuff onto the server.

> There are many ways to skin a cat. I can use Windows, Apple and Linux
> to do what I want to do. Some are much cheaper others are more expensive
> most of the software I have used has been of the free and or cheep but
> they do the job to my expectation.

The best tool for the job is the way to go.

Which do you prefer? eDir or AD? and why?