Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: Uploading large files

Re: Uploading large files

PJ

It's in the web config...

<httpRuntime
executionTimeout="2400"
maxRequestLength="131072"
/>

There's a practical limit as well. The machine.config stores the settings
of how much memory the aspnet_wp.dll is allowed to use. If you need to
upload really large files, you will either have to buy a 3rd party
httphandler or write your own.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is going to be over the internet. I'm going to allow users to upload
> mpeg and mp3 files for example, that will be submitted for approval by
> myself in order to be posted on the site for download by other users.
> Any suggestions now?
> PS> How do you increase the page processing timeout in order to make the
> file element work with large files?
>

> "Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)987654321> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i think you need to think carefully of your target audience - if its
> > internet then i'd stop right now - if its intranet proceed. i use the

> html
> > file elements and yes - you could increase the page processing timeout

> (you
> > also have to up the amount of data the request can contain - i forget

the
> > attribute name) - but with those numbers - if you use session - you'll
> > probably want to increase that also. to tell a lie - i've stopped using
> > sessions altogether - i now from the beginning phase say - ok - how do

we
> > build this site without using sessions. why?
> >
> > many hosting companies do ridiculous memory recycles - and i need my

apps
> > survive no matter what the server environment. you might wish to

consider
> > this also if its internet. you might find users connections just cut

for
> no
> > reason if your hosting is crap. not nice if you are 25mb in.
> >
> > for alternative suggestions you'll have to fill in some missing blanks

as

5
> > > files or so and they may be up to 10mb a piece. Therefore, this could

> > take
> > > a little while to upload.
> > > Would you recommend using the file input html elements and just

setting