Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I hate windows xp when...

I hate windows xp when...

Sir to you

You are burning a dvd, tick the 'auto-shutdown' after burning box,
then go on holiday . Get back home, and find that a ****ing shutdown
error cos some service could not be ended.

XPD

"Sir to you" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> You are burning a dvd, tick the 'auto-shutdown' after burning box,
> then go on holiday . Get back home, and find that a ****ing shutdown
> error cos some service could not be ended.

You trusted Windows to do something properly ?

Craig Sutton

"Sir to you" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> You are burning a dvd, tick the 'auto-shutdown' after burning box,
> then go on holiday . Get back home, and find that a ****ing shutdown
> error cos some service could not be ended.

uphclean.exe

Dave Taylor

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:euspgd$681$1
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> uphclean.exe

That is a goodie for roaming profiles. And the OP's problem too.

--
Ciao, Dave

Crash

Sir to you wrote:
> You are burning a dvd, tick the 'auto-shutdown' after burning box,
> then go on holiday . Get back home, and find that a ****ing shutdown
> error cos some service could not be ended.

Yeah its a bit frustrating. Personally I never leaving a running PC expecting
that it will shut down. Windows is not designed to run unattended.....

Crash.

Sonn

Sir to you wrote:
> You are burning a dvd, tick the 'auto-shutdown' after burning box,
> then go on holiday . Get back home, and find that a ****ing shutdown
> error cos some service could not be ended.

Somnifero is a great little piece of (free) software that can be set to
shut your computer down. It has always got around the ****y XP issues,
and shuts down my computer every time, and the best thing is, it takes
about 30 seconds to set up once it's installed.

S.

E. Scrooge

"Sir to you" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> You are burning a dvd, tick the 'auto-shutdown' after burning box,
> then go on holiday . Get back home, and find that a ****ing shutdown
> error cos some service could not be ended.

Turn off the auto updates.
You weren't round to click through the usual genuine Windows agreement.

E. Scrooge

neutrino

On Apr 4, 12:16 am, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
> "Sir to you" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
>
> > You are burning a dvd, tick the 'auto-shutdown' after burning box,
> > then go on holiday . Get back home, and find that a ****ing shutdown
> > error cos some service could not be ended.

> Turn off the auto updates.
> You weren't round to click through the usual genuine Windows agreement.
>
> E. Scrooge

There's a little program available called Autoshutdown, from
http://www.aquariussoft.com/pc-shutdown
and it's never failed me yet, I often use it when downloading
something huge,
set it for maybe an hour later than expected download finish, and
it'll shurdown the Pc at the time I specify - and if wanted - ckean up
temp folder trash etc etc ..
I see there's something much the same/similar from
http://www.barefootinc.com/autoshutdown.htm
but the one I'v been using for some time is the top one..... It gets a
big Tick for doing exactly what it's supposed to!

Sir to you

On Apr 5, 11:14 am, "neutrino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 4, 12:16 am, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
>
> > "Sir to you" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...

> > > You are burning a dvd, tick the 'auto-shutdown' after burning box,
> > > then go on holiday . Get back home, and find that a ****ing shutdown
> > > error cos some service could not be ended.

> > Turn off the auto updates.
> > You weren't round to click through the usual genuine Windows agreement.

> > E. Scrooge

> There's a little program available called Autoshutdown, fromhttp://www.aquariussoft.com/pc-shutdown
> and it's never failed me yet, I often use it when downloading
> something huge,
> set it for maybe an hour later than expected download finish, and
> it'll shurdown the Pc at the time I specify - and if wanted - ckean up
> temp folder trash etc etc ..
> I see there's something much the same/similar fromhttp://www.barefootinc.com/autoshutdown.htm
> but the one I'v been using for some time is the top one..... It gets a
> big Tick for doing exactly what it's supposed to!

Thanks, I'm looking into this and some of the others too.