Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Do you need to buy another copy of XP..

Do you need to buy another copy of XP..

Ken Yates@yahooken.com

If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive etc.

Will MS let you activate the system again..

Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another copy..?

Donchano

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
magnanimously proffered:

>If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive etc.
>
>Will MS let you activate the system again..
>
>Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another copy..?

If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

Ken Yates@yahooken.com

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken (E-Mail Removed)
>magnanimously proffered:
>>
>>If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive etc.
>>
>>Will MS let you activate the system again..
>>
>>Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another copy..?

>If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
>of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
>install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you have to buy the Full retail
version.

PeeCee

<Ken (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive
> etc.
>
> Will MS let you activate the system again..

> Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another
> copy..?

If you have a PC from one of the 'big' manufacturers then the 'restore'
facility provided will most likely contain a 'pre activated' copy of XP.
A PC from a smaller maker on the other hand will require 'activation' each
time it is installed afresh (eg Format & reinstall)

Replacing components in a PC (eg hardware failure) can trigger a
'reactivation' process if XP decides enough has changed to make it likely
you have pirated XP onto another PC.
This is fine for those PC's supplied with a MS XP CD.
Just reactivate online or via phone if the online process balks at it.
All you have to do is convince the MS SO you are not pirating the software.

Bigger manufacturers Restore facilites however will not restore to a
motherboard with a different Bios.
In this case although activation is not an issue (preactivated) as the
manufacturers restore routine will not work in the first place.
Smaller hardware changes like hard drives or modems are likely to work,
though you will have driver issues with some of these hardware changes.

So "Will MS let you activate the system again"? = Yes, provided you can get
it installed.

"what happens when you can't get XP"
No doubt the official line will be to buy a 'newer' Version of Windows.
However this is of no use to owners of PC's with more modest specifications.
Possibilities I see are:
1 - Sue MS
2 - go buy a new PC
3 - try another operating system

Of course there is speculation that eventually MS will have to turn their XP
activation servers off.
Maybe MS will issue a patch that kills activation, who knows.

Pessimists would say it's all a part of 'planned obsolescence'
Can't say I disagree.
Mind you by then my 10,000GHZ CPU with it's 50TerraBytes of RAM on a 100GHZ
frontside bus would kinda make the old XP machine rather irrelevant.

Best
Paul.

Kent Smith

Ken (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken (E-Mail Removed)
>> magnanimously proffered:
>>>
>>> If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board,
>>> Hard drive etc.
>>>
>>> Will MS let you activate the system again..
>>>
>>> Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy
>>> another copy..?

>> If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have
>> made of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be
>> able to install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

> Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New,
> you have to buy the Full retail version.

I think legally you have to but I believe in reality if you ask MS, and say
your MB packed up, they just ask you if you're running it on more than one
computer, you reply with the obvious and they'll reactivate it. I haven't
done it but I have read this somewhere a few months ago.

-KENT

Ken Yates@yahooken.com

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:43:32 +1200, "Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ken (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken (E-Mail Removed)
>>> magnanimously proffered:

>>> If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have
>>> made of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be
>>> able to install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

>> Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New,
>> you have to buy the Full retail version.

>I think legally you have to but I believe in reality if you ask MS, and say
>your MB packed up, they just ask you if you're running it on more than one
>computer, you reply with the obvious and they'll reactivate it. I haven't
>done it but I have read this somewhere a few months ago.
>

>-KENT

I did and they stated that the Licence agreement does not allow this, this was originally purchased
with a New MB, XP Home OEM..

Donchano

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:15:42 +1200, Ken (E-Mail Removed)
magnanimously proffered:

>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken (E-Mail Removed)
>>magnanimously proffered:
>>>
>>>If some thing Major goes wrong with your PC, like Mother board, Hard drive etc.
>>>
>>>Will MS let you activate the system again..
>>>
>>>Also what happens when you can't get XP, if told you have to buy another copy..?

>>If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
>>of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
>>install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

>Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you have to buy the Full retail
>version.

A week after I took delivery of a new Dell Dimension 9150 I discovered
that the motherboard was faulty and it was replaced under warranty.
There was no question of having to re-install the OS because the
hard-drive wasn't affected. If it was, however, I have all the
original WXPpro installation discs, so all I would have to do is
re-install it. Don't you have the original installation discs or
back-ups? And why does the use of your OS have anything to do with a
motherboard in the first place? Did your hard-drive crash and burn at
the same time?

EMB

Ken (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I did and they stated that the Licence agreement does not allow this, this was originally purchased
> with a New MB, XP Home OEM..

Tell them you purchased it with a power cord or a mouse.... and it's
still the same one.

--
EMB

Ken Yates@yahooken.com

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:18:20 +1200, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:15:42 +1200, Ken (E-Mail Removed)
>magnanimously proffered:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:13:50 +1200, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:26 +1200, Ken (E-Mail Removed)
>>>magnanimously proffered:

>>>If you have the original XP discs (or the backups you should have made
>>>of the discs) and the serial number/key, then you should be able to
>>>install it (and re-register it if MS asks).

>>Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you have to buy the Full retail
>>version.

>A week after I took delivery of a new Dell Dimension 9150 I discovered
>that the motherboard was faulty and it was replaced under warranty.
>There was no question of having to re-install the OS because the
>hard-drive wasn't affected. If it was, however, I have all the
>original WXPpro installation discs, so all I would have to do is
>re-install it. Don't you have the original installation discs or
>back-ups? And why does the use of your OS have anything to do with a
>motherboard in the first place? Did your hard-drive crash and burn at
>the same time?

Ita a Real OEM Copy of XP home on a made up computer..

broooooce

Ken (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:18:20 +1200, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:15:42 +1200, Ken (E-Mail Removed)
>>magnanimously proffered:

>>>Contacted MS, you if you use another Mother Board that is not New, you have to buy the Full retail
>>>version.

>>A week after I took delivery of a new Dell Dimension 9150 I discovered
>>that the motherboard was faulty and it was replaced under warranty.
>>There was no question of having to re-install the OS because the
>>hard-drive wasn't affected. If it was, however, I have all the
>>original WXPpro installation discs, so all I would have to do is
>>re-install it. Don't you have the original installation discs or
>>back-ups? And why does the use of your OS have anything to do with a
>>motherboard in the first place? Did your hard-drive crash and burn at
>>the same time?
>>

> Ita a Real OEM Copy of XP home on a made up computer..

You made up your computer !!

Sort of like an imaginary friend I suppose....