Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Dynamically Show/Hide Groups of TR's

Dynamically Show/Hide Groups of TR's

Jerad Rose

I searched for a while trying to find the answer to this, but to no avail.

I am trying to find the best way (or any way) to dynamically show and hide
groups of TR's. For example, I have a section of about 6 table rows that
all need to be hidden if a certain condition is met. But I don't want to
hide the whole table. And, I don't want to split up the table because the
columns need to remain intact.

I thought about using runat=server on each of the TR's, and just hiding them
each individually, but that just seems really sloppy, and I thought there
had to be a better way to do it. I really need some sort of HTML-less
container that can serve as a wrapper for the TR's without rendering any
additional HTML.

An asplaceHolder would be perfect since it doesn't render any additional
HTML, but it doesn't allow any other nested server controls at design time
(which seems silly). And an aspanel can wrap around any HTML or server
controls, but it renders HTML (div in IE and table in Netscape -- which
really hoses the HTML). And a <span runat=server> doesn't like nested TR's.

I just need some "wrapper" server control that can contain anything (HTML
and Server controls) without rendering ANY HTML on any browser. Seems like
this would be widely used (and needed) feature, but I haven't had much luck
finding such a thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jerad

PJ

I use the PlaceHolder around <tr> elements all the time. This might not
work if you are using an asp table object, but if you are, don't....it's
uncessary overhead. Also, maybe it's giving you an error in design view,
but if it is...don't use design view, use HTML view.

~PJ

"Jerad Rose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I searched for a while trying to find the answer to this, but to no avail.
>
> I am trying to find the best way (or any way) to dynamically show and hide
> groups of TR's. For example, I have a section of about 6 table rows that
> all need to be hidden if a certain condition is met. But I don't want to
> hide the whole table. And, I don't want to split up the table because the
> columns need to remain intact.
>
> I thought about using runat=server on each of the TR's, and just hiding

them
> each individually, but that just seems really sloppy, and I thought there
> had to be a better way to do it. I really need some sort of HTML-less
> container that can serve as a wrapper for the TR's without rendering any
> additional HTML.
>
> An asplaceHolder would be perfect since it doesn't render any additional
> HTML, but it doesn't allow any other nested server controls at design time
> (which seems silly). And an aspanel can wrap around any HTML or server
> controls, but it renders HTML (div in IE and table in Netscape -- which
> really hoses the HTML). And a <span runat=server> doesn't like nested

TR's.

> I just need some "wrapper" server control that can contain anything (HTML
> and Server controls) without rendering ANY HTML on any browser. Seems

like
> this would be widely used (and needed) feature, but I haven't had much

luck
> finding such a thing.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
> Jerad

Natty Gur

Hi,

Why do you think that make the TR runat=server is sloppy ?
runat=server is one of the bases of ASP.NET.

Natty Gur, CTO
Dao2Com Ltd.
28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
Israel , 51114

Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Know the overall picture

Jerad Rose

> I use the PlaceHolder around <tr> elements all the time.

It's not the <tr> elements that the PlaceHolder is having problems with --
it's the server controls that are within my <tr> elements that the
PlaceHolder doesn't support. Like I said, I need something that will allow
both embedded HTML _and_ server controls.

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't seem like a PlaceHolder is going to
work with this situation.

"PJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uJD%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use the PlaceHolder around <tr> elements all the time. This might not
> work if you are using an asp table object, but if you are, don't....it's
> uncessary overhead. Also, maybe it's giving you an error in design view,
> but if it is...don't use design view, use HTML view.
>
> ~PJ
>
> "Jerad Rose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I searched for a while trying to find the answer to this, but to no

avail.

> > I am trying to find the best way (or any way) to dynamically show and

hide
> > groups of TR's. For example, I have a section of about 6 table rows

that
> > all need to be hidden if a certain condition is met. But I don't want

> > hide the whole table. And, I don't want to split up the table because

the
> > columns need to remain intact.
> >
> > I thought about using runat=server on each of the TR's, and just hiding

> them
> > each individually, but that just seems really sloppy, and I thought

there
> > had to be a better way to do it. I really need some sort of HTML-less
> > container that can serve as a wrapper for the TR's without rendering any
> > additional HTML.
> >
> > An asplaceHolder would be perfect since it doesn't render any

additional
> > HTML, but it doesn't allow any other nested server controls at design

time
> > (which seems silly). And an aspanel can wrap around any HTML or

server
> > controls, but it renders HTML (div in IE and table in Netscape -- which
> > really hoses the HTML). And a <span runat=server> doesn't like nested

> TR's.
> >
> > I just need some "wrapper" server control that can contain anything

(HTML
> > and Server controls) without rendering ANY HTML on any browser. Seems

> like
> > this would be widely used (and needed) feature, but I haven't had much

> luck
> > finding such a thing.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!
> > Jerad

Jerad Rose

> Why do you think that make the TR runat=server is sloppy ?

I don't have a problem with <tr runat=server> at all. In fact, I use that
quite a bit when I'm just wanting to show/hide a certain row. But I just
don't like having to show/hide 6 individual rows when it would be much
cleaner to group them in a container and just show/hide the whole container.

Thanks for your response nonetheless.

"Natty Gur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Why do you think that make the TR runat=server is sloppy ?
> runat=server is one of the bases of ASP.NET.
>
> Natty Gur, CTO
> Dao2Com Ltd.
> 28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
> Israel , 51114
>
> Phone Numbers:
> Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
> Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
> Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377
>
> Know the overall picture

Jerad Rose

Well, the problem is, these TRs are subset of a larger table. So if I split
these TRs into their own table, I'll lose column formatting.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

"Natty Gur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just a suggestion,
>

> If you can group those TDs maybe you can use template column that will
> hold another grid. This way you can hide the entire inner grid.
>
> Natty Gur, CTO
> Dao2Com Ltd.
> 28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
> Israel , 51114
>
> Phone Numbers:
> Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
> Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
> Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377
>
> Know the overall picture

Natty Gur

I meant something like heiarchal grid (but without the +). so the
columns formatting is the same.

Hope i was clear

Natty Gur, CTO
Dao2Com Ltd.
28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
Israel , 51114

Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Know the overall picture

Jerad Rose

Hmm... not sure if I'm understanding you, but if so, it actually sounds like
this may be more trouble (and less elegant) than just hiding the TRs
individually -- which was Plan B.

I'm surprised that .NET doesn't have some generic container control than can
just wrap around a section of HTML/server controls for easy dynamic
hiding/showing. This is really all I'm looking for.

"Natty Gur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I meant something like heiarchal grid (but without the +). so the
> columns formatting is the same.
>
> Hope i was clear
>
> Natty Gur, CTO
> Dao2Com Ltd.
> 28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
> Israel , 51114
>
> Phone Numbers:
> Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
> Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
> Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377
>
> Know the overall picture

Natty Gur

1) Yes plan B is better.

2) .Net got such controls but you cant use them inside complex HTML tags
(TABLE).

Natty Gur, CTO
Dao2Com Ltd.
28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
Israel , 51114

Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Know the overall picture

PJ

I don't know what you mean...a PlaceHolder can have any type of control
inside of it. Here is a code snippet where I use a place holder and it
works perfectly...in fact....i have place holders embedded inside of
placeholders. I have a repeater and my custom controls in a placeholder. I
have placeholders inside the repeater which is inside another placeholder,
etc, etc. This page builds a grid view of images in 3 columns where the
bottom row may have 1 to 3 cells, so on the OnItemDataBound of the repeater
I Mod the itemindex to decide whether or not I start or end <tr> tags....

~PJ

<b2b:browsetree id="bt" runat="server" cssclass="browsetree" />
<asplaceholder id="main" runat="server">
<asp:label id="mainText" runat="server"></asp:label>
</asplaceholder>

<asplaceholder id="grid" runat="server" visible="false">
<asp:dropdownlist id="ddlFolder" runat="server" autopostback="True"
width="177px" style="margin-bottom:10px;margin-left:0px"></asp:dropdownlist>
<pwcager id="pagerTop" runat="server"
style="height:20px;width:360px;text-align:right"/>
style="border:1px solid #3366ff">
<asp:repeater id="rptMain" runat="server">
<itemtemplate>
<asplaceholder id="rowBegin" runat="server"><tr style="height:180px"
valign="middle"></asplaceholder>
<asp:imagebutton id="btnImgSlide" runat="server"></asp:imagebutton>
style="background-image:url(/b2b/images/layout/slide.gif);height:128px;width
:128px;padding-top:55px">
<asp:linkbutton id="btnLinkSlide" runat="server"
forecolor="black"></asp:linkbutton></span></td>
<asplaceholder id="rowEnd" runat="server"></tr></asplaceholder>
</itemtemplate>
</asp:repeater>
<asplaceholder id="fillOneCell"
runat="server"><td>&nbsp;</td></asplaceholder><asplaceholder
id="fillTwoCell" runat="server"><td>&nbsp;</td></asplaceholder>

</asplaceholder>

Groups of groups with PIX. AM Cisco 2 01-31-2006 04:37 PM
match groups: optional groups not accessible david.reitter@gmail.com Python 3 06-10-2005 05:03 PM
getting values from URL such as http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=parameters+url+asp.net&start=10&hl=en&lr=& anonymous ASP .Net 1 05-08-2005 03:58 PM
Windows groups, VPN groups, and SecureACS John Sasso Cisco 0 10-02-2004 03:39 PM
Reading membership of groups (including nested groups) Petra Hübner ASP .Net 0 02-16-2004 07:07 PM

Advertisments