Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Live Linux on USB

Live Linux on USB

GraB

was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate header

Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
usable.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510

There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=174939

I must get a USB key sometime soon.

rising

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate header
>
> Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
> usable.
>
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
>

> There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
> Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=174939
>
> I must get a USB key sometime soon.

nimblex is another one.

~misfit~

GraB wrote:
> was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate header
>
> Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
> usable.
>
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
>

> There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
> Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=174939
>
> I must get a USB key sometime soon.

Hmm. I would but most of my PCs don't know how to boot from USB. Catch 22.
--
Shaun.

Chris Hope

~misfit~ wrote:

> GraB wrote:
>> was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate
>> header
>>
>> Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
>> usable.
>>
>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
>>

>> There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
>> Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=174939
>>
>> I must get a USB key sometime soon.

> Hmm. I would but most of my PCs don't know how to boot from USB. Catch
> 22.

It is possible to have a CD that then boots first and then boots the USB
stick (Slax and some other distros have images for this), but in that
instance I guess you may as well have a bootable/live CD.

Enkidu

GraB wrote:
> was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate header
>
> Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
> usable.
>
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html

That's very nice, but I find it flakey, even on boxes that supposedly
support booting from USB devices.

> There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
> Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=174939

I was going to say "Add Puppy to the list" but I'm not sure.

> I must get a USB key sometime soon.

You haven't got one? I've got a few of them round here. You can buy one
with Linux already installed.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb.html

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

GraB

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:00:48 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate header
>>
>> Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
>> usable.
>>
>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
>>

>That's very nice, but I find it flakey, even on boxes that supposedly
>support booting from USB devices.
>>
>> There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
>> Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=174939
>>

>I was going to say "Add Puppy to the list" but I'm not sure.
> >
>> I must get a USB key sometime soon.
>>

>You haven't got one? I've got a few of them round here. You can buy one
>with Linux already installed.
>
>http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb.html

Yes, I know:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/linux/2007/node_3481

This one, on a 4GB key, has 3D-accelerated desktop, for 89 Euros. It
comes with supplementary CD image to boot even on legacy systems

rising

"Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> GraB wrote:
>>> was a reply to another post but thought it worthy of a seperate
>>> header
>>>
>>> Run Linux from USB keys rather than the LiveCD approach, much more
>>> usable.
>>>
>>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510
>>>
>>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6345950360.html
>>>

>>> There are six flavours of Linux that can run off a USB key: DSL
>>> Embedded, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, SLAX, MiniMe+ SLAX, and Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=174939
>>>
>>> I must get a USB key sometime soon.

>> Hmm. I would but most of my PCs don't know how to boot from USB. Catch
>> 22.

> It is possible to have a CD that then boots first and then boots the USB
> stick (Slax and some other distros have images for this), but in that
> instance I guess you may as well have a bootable/live CD.
>
> --
> Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

Yes that is possible and still offers advantages over cd only.

Collector»NZ

rising wrote:
> "Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Hmm. I would but most of my PCs don't know how to boot from USB. Catch
>>> 22.

>> It is possible to have a CD that then boots first and then boots the USB
>> stick (Slax and some other distros have images for this), but in that
>> instance I guess you may as well have a bootable/live CD.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com

> Yes that is possible and still offers advantages over cd only.

CDonsiderably since the USB access will be much faster

Chris Hope

Collector»NZ wrote:

> rising wrote:
>> "Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It is possible to have a CD that then boots first and then boots the
>>> USB stick (Slax and some other distros have images for this), but in
>>> that instance I guess you may as well have a bootable/live CD.

>> Yes that is possible and still offers advantages over cd only.
>>

> CDonsiderably since the USB access will be much faster

And also you can write data back to the USB stick, which you can't do
with a live CD.