Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why We Banned Vista

Why We Banned Vista

Mathew Good

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...eed&subj=zdnet

As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..

Seems to be a few here in this news group..

Cima

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:02:58 +1200, Mathew Good <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...eed&subj=zdnet
>

>As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
>

>Seems to be a few here in this news group..

NIST, based in Gaithersburg, Md., employs about 2,900 people and has an
additional group of about 1,800 visiting researchers who complement the staff.
Szykman spoke with CNET News.com about his organization's plans for Vista.

Q: What is your current position on Windows Vista?
Szykman: Our policy states that we're not allowing users to install or deploy
Windows Vista for the time being. We consider this to be an interim policy to
give us the time to do the adequate testing of Vista before we deploy it. We
don't expect to have any obstacles that would prevent us from eventually
deploying Vista.

What a crock - AS IF any large company would allow *users* to **** around with
their PCs and install software, let alone an OS! LOL! Can just see some WINZ
case workers bringing in Vista for an install! Get real.

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Cima wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:02:58 +1200, Mathew Good <(E-Mail Removed)
> wrote:
>

>>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...=rss&tag=feed&
>>subj=zdnet As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
>>

>>Seems to be a few here in this news group..
>>

> NIST, based in Gaithersburg, Md., employs about 2,900 people and has
> an additional group of about 1,800 visiting researchers who complement
> the staff. Szykman spoke with CNET News.com about his organization's
> plans for Vista.
>
> Q: What is your current position on Windows Vista?
> Szykman: Our policy states that we're not allowing users to install or
> deploy Windows Vista for the time being. We consider this to be an
> interim policy to give us the time to do the adequate testing of Vista
> before we deploy it. We don't expect to have any obstacles that would
> prevent us from eventually deploying Vista.
>

> What a crock - AS IF any large company would allow *users* to ****
> around with their PCs and install software, let alone an OS! LOL! Can
> just see some WINZ case workers bringing in Vista for an install! Get
> real.

This is the US National Institute of Standards and Technology though,
not a typical company or government department. From the beginning of
the article "NIST, which does research and sets standards for things
like cryptography for government use". They probably have hundreds of
'users' who regularly install and test new operating systems and
applications, and write their own programs.

--
* Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
* PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Mathew Good <mg@
yahoo.org wrote:

> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...=rss&tag=feed&
> subj=zdnet
>

> As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
>

> Seems to be a few here in this news group..

Angels? Can't recall any.

(I assume you were using the Old French spelling when you wrote angeles)

--
* Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
* PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
* SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

Collector»NZ

Mathew Good wrote:

> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...eed&subj=zdnet
>

> As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
>

> Seems to be a few here in this news group..

I bet they have lots of installed copies which they will be using to confirm it
meets the standards they require. Its not banned for a fault (your narrow
minded idea) but is banned until its determined suitable or not.
Bring your stupid attitude back here when they ban it because it fails to meet
requirements!

Collector»NZ

Cima wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:02:58 +1200, Mathew Good <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...eed&subj=zdnet
>>

>> As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..
>>

>> Seems to be a few here in this news group..
>>

> NIST, based in Gaithersburg, Md., employs about 2,900 people and has an
> additional group of about 1,800 visiting researchers who complement the staff.
> Szykman spoke with CNET News.com about his organization's plans for Vista.
>
> Q: What is your current position on Windows Vista?
> Szykman: Our policy states that we're not allowing users to install or deploy
> Windows Vista for the time being. We consider this to be an interim policy to
> give us the time to do the adequate testing of Vista before we deploy it. We
> don't expect to have any obstacles that would prevent us from eventually
> deploying Vista.
>

> What a crock - AS IF any large company would allow *users* to **** around with
> their PCs and install software, let alone an OS! LOL! Can just see some WINZ
> case workers bringing in Vista for an install! Get real.

In a large enterprise environment there a usually more than one group that
controls the desktop, each group operate on their own budgets and for there own
needs with the group IT only setting overall guidelines and rules, so the users
he refers to are the entities in the enterprise support group not joe blog disk
heads like your self who has just exhibited a total lack of any understanding
of how enterprise support works.

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:02:58 +1200, Mathew Good <(E-Mail Removed)
exclaimed:

>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...eed&subj=zdnet
>
>As they say, Fools rush in where Angeles fear to tread..

Any enterprise that deploys ANY software (especially an OS) before
thoroughly testing it is asking for trouble.

I would hope that any reasonable-sized organisation in the world would
be saying the same thing, and it's no reflection on Vista.

>Seems to be a few here in this news group..

WTF's an angeles, and why do you think there's a few here?

--

Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Best Rant of the Year Award:

"Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

- E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
supermarket bags...

iascoot

stop with the vista bashing..

im surprised you didnt tell everyone to goto linux in your post, the
usual MS bashers do that thing

Chris Hope

iascoot wrote:

> stop with the vista bashing..
>
> im surprised you didnt tell everyone to goto linux in your post, the
> usual MS bashers do that thing

Fred usually does the exact opposite ie promotes MS over Linux etc.
Where exactly in his post did he bash Vista?

Robin Halligan

On 25 Mar 2007 00:37:15 GMT, Roger Johnstone wrote:

> This is the US National Institute of Standards and Technology though,
> not a typical company or government department. From the beginning of
> the article "NIST, which does research and sets standards for things
> like cryptography for government use". They probably have hundreds of
> 'users' who regularly install and test new operating systems and
> applications, and write their own programs.

I bet they do but i would also bet that they Don't do the installs on
computers connected to the Company network but are stand alone's or part of
a test network.

--
First they came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Communist.

Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945