Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Vista vs Windows Live Messenger

Windows Vista vs Windows Live Messenger

steve

Ok....Yesterday Live messenger crashed each time I tried to login.

So I shut down the brand new, Windows Vista-loaded laptop and put it away
overnight.

This morning, I try to start it.....and it says it can't start. It says it
needs to restore to an earlier checkpoint. OK...so I leave to do that for
waht seemed quite a while.......Then re-booted.

The ONLY program it removed was Windows Live Messenger.

So not only wouldn't the program not work, it rendered this OEM pre-loaded
Windows Vista system unable to start.

Funny if it weren't so pathetic.

Later, I tried a booting a Linux DVD on this system and it worked fine and
booted - from DVD! - in about the same time as Vista does from the hard
disk.

If I didn't need the webcam while travelling, Vista wold be Format C:'d into
software history on that laptop.......though I clearly won't be able to do
anything with MSN Messenger anyway. At least Skype works OK.

E. Scrooge

news:4603093e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok....Yesterday Live messenger crashed each time I tried to login.
>
> So I shut down the brand new, Windows Vista-loaded laptop and put it away
> overnight.
>
> This morning, I try to start it.....and it says it can't start. It says it
> needs to restore to an earlier checkpoint. OK...so I leave to do that for
> waht seemed quite a while.......Then re-booted.
>
> The ONLY program it removed was Windows Live Messenger.
>
> So not only wouldn't the program not work, it rendered this OEM pre-loaded
> Windows Vista system unable to start.
>
> Funny if it weren't so pathetic.
>
> Later, I tried a booting a Linux DVD on this system and it worked fine and
> booted - from DVD! - in about the same time as Vista does from the hard
> disk.
>
> If I didn't need the webcam while travelling, Vista wold be Format C:'d
> into software history on that laptop.......though I clearly won't be able
> to do anything with MSN Messenger anyway. At least Skype works OK.

What about Live Mail?

E. Scrooge

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:53:00 +1200, "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Ok....Yesterday Live messenger crashed each time I tried to login.
>
>So I shut down the brand new, Windows Vista-loaded laptop and put it away
>overnight.
>
>This morning, I try to start it.....and it says it can't start. It says it
>needs to restore to an earlier checkpoint. OK...so I leave to do that for
>waht seemed quite a while.......Then re-booted.
>
>The ONLY program it removed was Windows Live Messenger.
>
>So not only wouldn't the program not work, it rendered this OEM pre-loaded
>Windows Vista system unable to start.
>
>Funny if it weren't so pathetic.
>
>Later, I tried a booting a Linux DVD on this system and it worked fine and
>booted - from DVD! - in about the same time as Vista does from the hard
>disk.
>
>If I didn't need the webcam while travelling, Vista wold be Format C:'d into
>software history on that laptop.......though I clearly won't be able to do
>anything with MSN Messenger anyway. At least Skype works OK.

So you were about to format your laptop because an Instant Messenger
application wouldn't work?

Format away! The Windows world is better with fewer morons.

--

Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Best Rant of the Year Award:

"Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

- E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
supermarket bags...

Robert Cooze

steve wrote:
> Ok....Yesterday Live messenger crashed each time I tried to login.
>
> So I shut down the brand new, Windows Vista-loaded laptop and put it away
> overnight.
>
> This morning, I try to start it.....and it says it can't start. It says it
> needs to restore to an earlier checkpoint. OK...so I leave to do that for
> waht seemed quite a while.......Then re-booted.
>
> The ONLY program it removed was Windows Live Messenger.
>
> So not only wouldn't the program not work, it rendered this OEM pre-loaded
> Windows Vista system unable to start.
>
> Funny if it weren't so pathetic.
>
> Later, I tried a booting a Linux DVD on this system and it worked fine and
> booted - from DVD! - in about the same time as Vista does from the hard
> disk.
>
> If I didn't need the webcam while travelling, Vista wold be Format C:'d into
> software history on that laptop.......though I clearly won't be able to do
> anything with MSN Messenger anyway. At least Skype works OK.

I would take it up with where you bought it from. Something along the
lings of not usable for the job it was going to be used for. Any way the
software bought (vista) does not work with the Windows Live Messenger,
Something sold to you as would work. Does not buying stuff mean you get
support, That the Suppler and or the Manufacturer get to support you!
You could get Very Nasty and start to demand stuff.

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:58:20 +1200, Robert Cooze
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>I would take it up with where you bought it from. Something along the
>lings of not usable for the job it was going to be used for. Any way the
>software bought (vista) does not work with the Windows Live Messenger,
>Something sold to you as would work. Does not buying stuff mean you get
>support, That the Suppler and or the Manufacturer get to support you!
>You could get Very Nasty and start to demand stuff.

Or alternatively, you could get a life...

--

Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Best Rant of the Year Award:

"Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

- E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
supermarket bags...

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:53:00 +1200, "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Ok....Yesterday Live messenger crashed each time I tried to login.
>
>So I shut down the brand new, Windows Vista-loaded laptop and put it away
>overnight.
>
>This morning, I try to start it.....and it says it can't start. It says it
>needs to restore to an earlier checkpoint. OK...so I leave to do that for
>waht seemed quite a while.......Then re-booted.
>
>The ONLY program it removed was Windows Live Messenger.
>
>So not only wouldn't the program not work, it rendered this OEM pre-loaded
>Windows Vista system unable to start.
>
>Funny if it weren't so pathetic.
>
>Later, I tried a booting a Linux DVD on this system and it worked fine and
>booted - from DVD! - in about the same time as Vista does from the hard
>disk.
>
>If I didn't need the webcam while travelling, Vista wold be Format C:'d into
>software history on that laptop.......though I clearly won't be able to do
>anything with MSN Messenger anyway. At least Skype works OK.

If you learnt to use Google before ranting here, you'd find that the
problem isn't with Live Messenger but rather with Flash Player.

The workaround at the mo is:

1. Uninstall Flash Player (Click Start->Control Panel->Uninstall a
Program, then select Flash Player)

2. Close Windows Live Messenger and any other programs that use Flash

3. Open Adobe public Flash Player beta site
(http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html)

4. Click "Download Installer for Windows Active X" to install

--

[...]

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> So you were about to format your laptop because an Instant Messenger
> application wouldn't work?
>
> Format away! The Windows world is better with fewer morons.

....and replace it with WinXP.

Speaking of morons....You're doing a fine job.

steve

"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:460423c3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I would take it up with where you bought it from. Something along the
> lings of not usable for the job it was going to be used for. Any way the
> software bought (vista) does not work with the Windows Live Messenger,
> Something sold to you as would work. Does not buying stuff mean you get
> support, That the Suppler and or the Manufacturer get to support you!
> You could get Very Nasty and start to demand stuff.

My experience with Microsoft software in the past is that the usual consumer
rules do not apply.

They don't give a rat's arse and you'refree to return their products and not
use Windows.........which doesn't fix the problem , either and creates more
new ones.

That's one of the reasons I've been mainly a Linux user. There was always
another distro to try if the one you had didn't do what you wanted. With
Windows, you most often don't have that choice...and they don't respond to
individual users in a useful and effective way as open source developers
often do.

steve

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:58:20 +1200, Robert Cooze
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>I would take it up with where you bought it from. Something along the
>>lings of not usable for the job it was going to be used for. Any way the
>>software bought (vista) does not work with the Windows Live Messenger,
>>Something sold to you as would work. Does not buying stuff mean you get
>>support, That the Suppler and or the Manufacturer get to support you!
>>You could get Very Nasty and start to demand stuff.

> Or alternatively, you could get a life...

You're an idiot no matter what the topic...this much is now very clear. I'd
be interested to see the file your psychiatrist keeps on you one day.

steve

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> If you learnt to use Google before ranting here, you'd find that the
> problem isn't with Live Messenger but rather with Flash Player.

I came here to see if anyone knew of the problem and a solution.

I'll see if your proposed solution has anything to do with LM crashing when
logging in.

Not sure why you feel the need to abuse everyone you respond to. What does
your psychiatrist say about that?