Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recommendation for a speed boost

Recommendation for a speed boost

Jason Clinton

I've got a friend who has the following PC:

Athlon XP3000+ (socket A)
512MB DDR Ram
GeForce FX5200 AGP video card

He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.

The ram's fine - I can throw in another 512MB easily enough

As for the video card, I'm not sure what would be a good AGP card to
put in there.

I've been given a budget of $500. The ram will cost say $70 and I
really don't want to spend $430 on an out-of-date AGP graphics card.

Personally I'd rather stick to $200 for a graphics card but don't want
anything that the CPU will struggle to keep up with.

Any suggestions?

There are a few secondhand cards on TM. I'm leaning either towards a
cheap 6600GT or maybe a 7600GT

Dave Taylor

Jason Clinton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> There are a few secondhand cards on TM. I'm leaning either towards a
> cheap 6600GT or maybe a 7600GT

What games is probably more important.

I have a 6600GT and Need for speed hot persuit works great on it.
BF II Havent even tried.
New games need new pc's

--
Ciao, Dave

XPD

"Jason Clinton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've got a friend who has the following PC:
>
> Athlon XP3000+ (socket A)
> 512MB DDR Ram
> GeForce FX5200 AGP video card
>
> He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
> and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.

Id have a good look at his configuration etc.... Im on a Athlon 2400+, 1gb
RAM and 128mb Raedon 9600 Pro and can still play most new games without any
issues (albeit, with some purdy stuff turned down).

thingy

Jason Clinton wrote:

> I've got a friend who has the following PC:
>
> Athlon XP3000+ (socket A)
> 512MB DDR Ram
> GeForce FX5200 AGP video card
>
> He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
> and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.
>
> The ram's fine - I can throw in another 512MB easily enough
>
> As for the video card, I'm not sure what would be a good AGP card to
> put in there.
>
> I've been given a budget of $500. The ram will cost say $70 and I
> really don't want to spend $430 on an out-of-date AGP graphics card.
>
> Personally I'd rather stick to $200 for a graphics card but don't want
> anything that the CPU will struggle to keep up with.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> There are a few secondhand cards on TM. I'm leaning either towards a
> cheap 6600GT or maybe a 7600GT

yeah what I have (6600GT) on a p4....

Is he running crazy resolutions?

new graphics card.....another 500Gig of ram....

There are or were some Asrock motherboards that have pci-e and
agp.....maybe suggest an intermediate stage?

Motherboard, $150? leaves $350 for a pci-e card.....another 500meg of
ram....$600 might be a better budget.

regards

Thing

Dave Taylor

Jason Clinton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
> and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.

Backup, FDISK, reinstall.

All spyware is gone and a gaming machine is reborn.

--
Ciao, Dave

Bobs

On Mar 22, 10:03 pm, Jason Clinton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've got a friend who has the following PC:
>
> Athlon XP3000+ (socket A)
> 512MB DDR Ram
> GeForce FX5200 AGP video card
>
> He's finding most newer games are running too slow for his system now
> and has asked me to upgrade his ram and video card.
>
> The ram's fine - I can throw in another 512MB easily enough
>
> As for the video card, I'm not sure what would be a good AGP card to
> put in there.
>
> I've been given a budget of $500. The ram will cost say $70 and I
> really don't want to spend $430 on an out-of-date AGP graphics card.
>
> Personally I'd rather stick to $200 for a graphics card but don't want
> anything that the CPU will struggle to keep up with.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> There are a few secondhand cards on TM. I'm leaning either towards a
> cheap 6600GT or maybe a 7600GT

I've got a 7600gt (pci-x version) and it's good enough for me.