Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Peer networking basics

Peer networking basics

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

Hi guys,

Can someone please put me on the right track here.

I was under the impression that if you had two XP PC's connected with
a crossover cable, Simple File Sharing turned on and a share set up on
each PC that to access the share there would be some authentication,
ie you would need to supply a user name and password of either a user
on the machine that you want to access, or you must have created a
identical user and password on the machine from which you are trying
to gain access.

Or use something like NET USE * \\server\share /user:username password

However I tried this without the password and it worked.

Can someone please explain why?

Does it change if I am doing this with a XP<->Vista PC, ie does vista
have simple file sharing or is it all permissions based?

Cheers

-Al

gordon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi guys,
>
> Can someone please put me on the right track here.
>
> I was under the impression that if you had two XP PC's connected with
> a crossover cable, Simple File Sharing turned on and a share set up on
> each PC that to access the share there would be some authentication,
> ie you would need to supply a user name and password of either a user
> on the machine that you want to access, or you must have created a
> identical user and password on the machine from which you are trying
> to gain access.
>
> Or use something like NET USE * \\server\share /user:username password
>
> However I tried this without the password and it worked.
>
> Can someone please explain why?

Probably because you are using XP Home edition and the Guest account is
enabled on both.....that wouldn't happen on XP Pro unless you (as you say)
have the same User set up on each....

> Does it change if I am doing this with a XP<->Vista PC, ie does vista
> have simple file sharing or is it all permissions based?
>
> Cheers
>
> -Al

Dianthus Mimulus

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 01:46:57 -0700, BigAl.NZ wrote:

> I was under the impression that if you had two XP PC's connected with
> a crossover cable, Simple File Sharing turned on and a share set up on
> each PC that to access the share there would be some authentication,
> ie you would need to supply a user name and password of either a user
> on the machine that you want to access, or you must have created a
> identical user and password on the machine from which you are trying
> to gain access.

Install an FTP server on one, and an FTP client on the other.

Put a second NIC in the one with the server and use that as the gateway to
the Internet.

Set the second to use the first as its gateway.

That way you'll be able to use FTP to transfer files.

Also, if you were using a better OS that M$ Windows you would be able to
set up NFS on both and then have the file system on one showing up as if
it were a part of the native internal file system of the other.

That way none of that bullshit "Simple File Sharing" rubbish would be
necessary.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Arno Edelmann: "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products."

Enkidu

Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 01:46:57 -0700, BigAl.NZ wrote:
>
>> I was under the impression that if you had two XP PC's connected with
>> a crossover cable, Simple File Sharing turned on and a share set up on
>> each PC that to access the share there would be some authentication,
>> ie you would need to supply a user name and password of either a user
>> on the machine that you want to access, or you must have created a
>> identical user and password on the machine from which you are trying
>> to gain access.

> Install an FTP server on one, and an FTP client on the other.

Lennier, he already has file sharing working. His question (part of
which you snipped was about *why* it worked without requiring user login.

> Put a second NIC in the one with the server and use that as the gateway to
> the Internet.
>
> Set the second to use the first as its gateway.
>
> That way you'll be able to use FTP to transfer files.

That wasn't his question. He already can do that.

> Also, if you were using a better OS that M$ Windows you would be able to
> set up NFS on both and then have the file system on one showing up as if
> it were a part of the native internal file system of the other.

He's already able to do that!

> That way none of that bullshit "Simple File Sharing" rubbish would be
> necessary.

It works for him and millions of other. You probably know it better as
'Samba'.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Dianthus Mimulus

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:31:46 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

>> That way none of that bullshit "Simple File Sharing" rubbish would be
>> necessary.
>>

> It works for him and millions of other. You probably know it better as
> 'Samba'.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

I know Samba. I know NFS better - I use NFS to have the documents on my
file server available from my desktop.

No drive letter required. It's simply a part of the file system (like any
other partition is.

--

Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:31:46 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
>
>>> That way none of that bullshit "Simple File Sharing" rubbish would be
>>> necessary.
>>>

>> It works for him and millions of other. You probably know it better as
>> 'Samba'.
>>

> I know Samba. I know NFS better - I use NFS to have the documents on my
> file server available from my desktop.
>
> No drive letter required. It's simply a part of the file system (like any
> other partition is.

Duh! Lennier, you can mount Samba shares as if the were part of the file
system too. Bloody useful too.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Biggles

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:15:13 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

<snip of cliff>

> I know Samba. I know NFS better - I use NFS to have the documents on my
> file server available from my desktop.

Did you forget to take your pills this week ...

Your NFS babble has nothing to do with the poster questions relating to XP
file sharing .....

Like cliff said if you think the windows file sharing is a crap method to
share files, take your issues up with www.samba.org.

I'm sure they will be thrilled to hear from you.

Biggles........................................... ....

Dianthus Mimulus

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:17:04 +1200, Biggles wrote:

> Your NFS babble has nothing to do with the poster questions relating to XP
> file sharing .....

I didn't say it did.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.

Dianthus Mimulus

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:12:39 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

> you can mount Samba shares as if the were part of the file
> system too. Bloody useful too.

How can you do that using Windoze?

--

Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:17:04 +1200, Biggles wrote:
>
>> Your NFS babble has nothing to do with the poster questions relating to XP
>> file sharing .....

> I didn't say it did.

No, you went off at your usual tangent....

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?