Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Linux distro/apps for encoded TV?

Re: Linux distro/apps for encoded TV?

Malcolm

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:20:27 +1200
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
> > go with the defaults)
> >
> > If you do try out Xubuntu then the beginners forum at ubuntuforums
> > is your best friend
> > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73
> >
> > Let me know if you want a diwana invite

> Hi Miguel, I'd love an invite to diwana. I didn't know it existed and
> that torrent seems perfect for my requirements. Far better than the
> 1.36GB one I'm not going to finish until sometime tomorrow. misfitnz
> at gmail will get me. I can offer you a torrent-damage invite in
> return. They're an excellent site but hard to keep a good ratio on as
> their uploaders are mostly in Europe on fibre connections.
>
> Torrents will help in the meantime but I'd like to do the live to air
> thing. I heard the result of yesterday's race despite taking
> precautions and I'm bloody annoyed with that sort of thing happening
> too often.
>
> I realise that Linux won't be easy for a beginner. Frankly I'm a
> little daunted by it. Especially as I'm taking benzodiazapienes for
> an anxiety disorder and they mess with the neural pathways involved
> with creating memories. (I can't wait until I no longer need the
> pills). I've decided to upgrade the machine I'm going to use to an
> AMD Applebred Duron 1.6GHz with 512MB DDR RAM and a ti4200 with TV
> out. (Still only a 20GB HDD though, I'm short of HHDs. At least it's
> 7,200rpm/ATA133 [on an ATA100 controller]) The Applebred is a
> surprisingly fast CPU, comparable to an Athlon XP 2000 IMO. That with
> the increased RAM bandwidth going from SD to DDR (and doubling the
> amount) gives me a more capable machine.
>
> This machine will be used almost exclusively for watching F1. (And
> for cutting my teeth on a Linux distro) It doesn't need to do much
> else, if anything. Malcolm has been trying to get me to try SuSE for
> the longest time (I was originally going to dual-boot it on my main
> machine but didn't want to risk my Win install with no experienced
> person here to assist with set-up) so I see this as an opportunity to
> use SuSE. Malcolm seems to think it's good and he's not put me crook
> yet. Also, I have the full install (DL) DVD for SuSE 10,
> including all optional packages, sitting next to me, no downloading
> required. (I'm not sure if I'll have to upgrade to 10.2, or even if
> an upgrade (as opposed to a re-install) is possible)
>
> I *am* Linux-curious. I'm also very good at swearing, cursing and
> hurling copious amounts of abuse. <g>
>
> Hmm. Ubuntu or SuSE? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the
> mind to face the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or, to take
> arms against a sea of troubles.
>
> Errr. Sidetracked there. I'll await a reply (or email) from
> Malcolm re: whether I need SuSE 10.2. I'd like to minimise
> downloading, especially until I get this damn torrent. I'll decide on
> the distro soon.
>
> Thanks a lot for the reply, and the offer of the diwana invite.

Hi Shaun
I run Kubuntu on the note book and solaris...
Just a thought, why not download the free vmware server or the free MS
virtual PC and try it out on your windows machine?

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp

~misfit~

Malcolm wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:20:27 +1200
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hmm. Ubuntu or SuSE? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in
> > the mind to face the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or,
> > to take arms against a sea of troubles.
> >
> > Errr. Sidetracked there. I'll await a reply (or email) from
> > Malcolm re: whether I need SuSE 10.2. I'd like to minimise
> > downloading, especially until I get this damn torrent. I'll decide
> > on the distro soon.
> >

> Hi Shaun
> I run Kubuntu on the note book and solaris...
> Just a thought, why not download the free vmware server or the free MS
> virtual PC and try it out on your windows machine?
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

I have MS virtual PC installed now that you mention it. I installed it,
installed 98SE on it for a look-see and promptly forgot about it.

To be honest I'd rather install directly onto the Duron machine. That way
I'll know if there are going to be driver problems etc. and if I like what I
see then I have it already. <g>.

Kubuntu = Ubuntu with the KDE GUI? If so I've heard good things about it. I
don't really want to be doing too much in the way of command line stuff or
compiling.. Maybe another time. Right now, what I want is (relatively)
simple to set up TV box.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Malcolm

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:44:03 +1200
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Malcolm wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:20:27 +1200
> > "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Hmm. Ubuntu or SuSE? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in
> > > the mind to face the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or,
> > > to take arms against a sea of troubles.
> > >
> > > Errr. Sidetracked there. I'll await a reply (or email) from
> > > Malcolm re: whether I need SuSE 10.2. I'd like to minimise
> > > downloading, especially until I get this damn torrent. I'll decide
> > > on the distro soon.
> > >

> > Hi Shaun
> > I run Kubuntu on the note book and solaris...
> > Just a thought, why not download the free vmware server or the free
> > MS virtual PC and try it out on your windows machine?
> >
> > http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

> I have MS virtual PC installed now that you mention it. I installed
> it, installed 98SE on it for a look-see and promptly forgot about it.
>
> To be honest I'd rather install directly onto the Duron machine. That
> way I'll know if there are going to be driver problems etc. and if I
> like what I see then I have it already. <g>.
>
> Kubuntu = Ubuntu with the KDE GUI? If so I've heard good things about
> it. I don't really want to be doing too much in the way of command
> line stuff or compiling.. Maybe another time. Right now, what I want
> is (relatively) simple to set up TV box.
>
> Cheers,

See K = KDE, your a linux guru already dude.....

There is also a good article in Feb 2007 issue of Linux Magazine
(www.linuxmagizine.com) on building a media server with a conextant
chipped card.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp
up 1 day 22:26, 2 users, load average: 0.34, 0.10, 0.03

~misfit~

Malcolm wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:44:03 +1200
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Malcolm wrote:

> > > Hi Shaun
> > > I run Kubuntu on the note book and solaris...
> > > Just a thought, why not download the free vmware server or the
> > > free MS virtual PC and try it out on your windows machine?
> > >
> > > http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

> > I have MS virtual PC installed now that you mention it. I installed
> > it, installed 98SE on it for a look-see and promptly forgot about
> > it.
> >
> > To be honest I'd rather install directly onto the Duron machine.
> > That way I'll know if there are going to be driver problems etc.
> > and if I like what I see then I have it already. <g>.
> >
> > Kubuntu = Ubuntu with the KDE GUI? If so I've heard good things
> > about it. I don't really want to be doing too much in the way of
> > command line stuff or compiling.. Maybe another time. Right now,
> > what I want is (relatively) simple to set up TV box.
> >
> > Cheers,

> See K = KDE, your a linux guru already dude.....

Heh!

> There is also a good article in Feb 2007 issue of Linux Magazine
> (www.linuxmagizine.com) on building a media server with a conextant
> chipped card.

Thank you kind sir, I will check it out.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.