Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Air NZ website via Telstra: problems?

Air NZ website via Telstra: problems?

OwenWatson

We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
(The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain. I'm
wondering whether this is a legacy of the TelstraClear non-peering
policy or something else?

A traceroute to the site has lots of timeouts. .

1 2 2 192.168.1.1
2 12 10 203.96.153.101 pe14-bertha-loopback.paradise.net.nz
3 17 5 218.101.61.50
4 28 11 218.101.61.45
5 36 8 218.101.61.5
6 35 -1 218.101.61.33 g1-926.u11.pnr.telstraclear.net
7 Timed out
8 27 -8 210.55.202.49 g0-1-0-4.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz
9 30 3 210.55.202.51 v4.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
10 25 -5 203.96.121.198 airnz-dom.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
11 31 6 162.112.23.11
12 Timed out
13 Timed out
14 Timed out
15 Timed out
16 Timed out
17 Timed out
18 Timed out
19 Timed out
20 Timed out
21 Timed out
22 Timed out
23 Timed out
24 Timed out
25 Timed out
26 Timed out
27 Timed out
28 Timed out
29 Timed out
30 Timed out
31 Timed out
32 Timed out

Peter

OwenWatson wrote:
> We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
> unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
> (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
> booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain.

Air NZ website was duff earlier this evening - front page just returned
rubbish plain text. But it seems to be working ok now.
This is via Slingshot.

HTH

Peter

Enkidu

OwenWatson wrote:
> We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
> unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
> (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
> booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain. I'm
> wondering whether this is a legacy of the TelstraClear non-peering
> policy or something else?
>
> A traceroute to the site has lots of timeouts. .
>
> 1 2 2 192.168.1.1
> 2 12 10 203.96.153.101 pe14-bertha-loopback.paradise.net.nz
> 3 17 5 218.101.61.50
> 4 28 11 218.101.61.45
> 5 36 8 218.101.61.5
> 6 35 -1 218.101.61.33 g1-926.u11.pnr.telstraclear.net
> 7 Timed out
> 8 27 -8 210.55.202.49 g0-1-0-4.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz
> 9 30 3 210.55.202.51 v4.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
> 10 25 -5 203.96.121.198 airnz-dom.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
> 11 31 6 162.112.23.11
> 12 Timed out
> 13 Timed out
> 14 Timed out
> 15 Timed out
> 16 Timed out
> 17 Timed out
> 18 Timed out
> 19 Timed out
> 20 Timed out
> 21 Timed out
> 22 Timed out
> 23 Timed out
> 24 Timed out
> 25 Timed out
> 26 Timed out
> 27 Timed out
> 28 Timed out
> 29 Timed out
> 30 Timed out
> 31 Timed out
> 32 Timed out

It sounds like they were down, but it is not possible to be sure from a
traceroute. This is because a traceroute uses a different protocol to
web sites and some routers block or drop the packets used for traceroutes.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

OwenWatson

On Mar 19, 9:57 pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It sounds like they were down, but it is not possible to be sure from a
> traceroute. This is because a traceroute uses a different protocol to
> web sites and some routers block or drop the packets used for traceroutes.

Thanks. It's just that it's a consistent problem and I'd like to know
whether to blame TelstraClear or AirNZ.

lolinternet

OwenWatson wrote:
> We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
> unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
> (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
> booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain. I'm
> wondering whether this is a legacy of the TelstraClear non-peering
> policy or something else?

Tried another browser?

The booking system flicks to https, maybe your browser sucks at the SSL.

OwenWatson

On Mar 19, 9:57 pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It sounds like they were down, but it is not possible to be sure from a
> traceroute. This is because a traceroute uses a different protocol to
> web sites and some routers block or drop the packets used for traceroutes.

Thanks. It's just that it's a consistent problem and I'd like to know
whether to blame TelstraClear or AirNZ.

OwenWatson

Tried both Firefox 2, and IE6.

On Mar 19, 10:14 pm, lolinternet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tried another browser?
>
> The booking system flicks to https, maybe your browser sucks at the SSL.

Tony

OwenWatson wrote:
> We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
> unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
> (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
> booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain. I'm
> wondering whether this is a legacy of the TelstraClear non-peering
> policy or something else?

TelstraClear and Telecom Peer with each other, its all the other ISP's
these two demand money from to peer. Those timeouts are normal -

> We've got TelstraClear cable (their own, not thru Telecom) but seem
> unable to get a reliable connection thru to the AirNZ booking site.
> (The front page comes up OK, but when you try and make an actual
> booking, it times out). Sometimes it's OK but usually it's a pain. I'm
> wondering whether this is a legacy of the TelstraClear non-peering
> policy or something else?
>
> A traceroute to the site has lots of timeouts. .
>
> 1 2 2 192.168.1.1
> 2 12 10 203.96.153.101 pe14-bertha-loopback.paradise.net.nz
> 3 17 5 218.101.61.50
> 4 28 11 218.101.61.45
> 5 36 8 218.101.61.5
> 6 35 -1 218.101.61.33 g1-926.u11.pnr.telstraclear.net

> 7 Timed out <-- Auckland Peering exchange, this timeout is expected as the IP block is not redistributed into the internal routing table for security reasons (I built this)

> 8 27 -8 210.55.202.49 g0-1-0-4.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz
> 9 30 3 210.55.202.51 v4.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
> 10 25 -5 203.96.121.198 airnz-dom.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz
> 11 31 6 162.112.23.11
> 12 Timed out
> 13 Timed out
> 14 Timed out
> 15 Timed out <-- These timeouts are because you have hit the AirNZ firewall which is not allowing your trace any further.

Enkidu

OwenWatson wrote:
> On Mar 19, 9:57 pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> It sounds like they were down, but it is not possible to be sure from a
>> traceroute. This is because a traceroute uses a different protocol to
>> web sites and some routers block or drop the packets used for traceroutes.

> Thanks. It's just that it's a consistent problem and I'd like to know
> whether to blame TelstraClear or AirNZ.

Ah, in that case try the traceroute when it is working and compare...

That'd be useful!

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

OwenWatson

mmm. . . in the end it was a firewall problem: bypassed the firewall
(a Surecom router/wireless) and all was sweetness and light.

I'm still a bit puzzled: there's no problems normally with secure &
non-secure sites with the firewall, so it's a bit unclear whether it's
a Surecom problem or a configuration problem. Latest firmware on the
router.