Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux distro/apps for encoded TV?

Linux distro/apps for encoded TV?

~misfit~

So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a gigabyte
'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron CPU, a
reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to find F1 torrents.

Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not familiar with
Linux at all.

I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at misfitnz
at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.

With gratitude..
--
Shaun.

Malcolm

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a
> gigabyte 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron
> CPU, a reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to find F1
> torrents.
>
> Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not familiar
> with Linux at all.
>
> I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
> misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
>
> With gratitude..

Hi Shaun
Have a look here,
http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/
http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/
http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp

~misfit~

Malcolm wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a
> > gigabyte 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron
> > CPU, a reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to find F1
> > torrents.
> >
> > Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not
> > familiar with Linux at all.
> >
> > I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
> > misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
> >
> > With gratitude..

> Hi Shaun
> Have a look here,
> http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/
> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11602
> http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/
> http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

Thanks Malcolm. From the looks of those URLs it would seem that it'll have
to be a Linux box then?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Malcolm wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a
> > gigabyte 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron
> > CPU, a reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to find F1
> > torrents.
> >
> > Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not
> > familiar with Linux at all.
> >
> > I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
> > misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
> >
> > With gratitude..

> Hi Shaun
> Have a look here,
> http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/
> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11602
> http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/
> http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

Couple things Malcolm;

That first URL won't take me anywhere.

I have a DL-DVD that some kind soul gave me with SuSE _10_. Can I use that
and update it to 10.2 to minimise downloads? Or would that require *vastly*
more knowledge of Linux than I already have (nil). Does it need to be 10.2?

(Interestingly, when I put "SuSE" into DSE's search window, wondering if
they have 10.2, it comes up with one printer that mentions SuSE
compatability, two UPS's that similarly mention SuSE compatability and
Microsoft Vista Home Basic and Microsoft Vista Home Basic Upgrade (????),
niether of which mention SuSE. Do I smell a conspiracy?)

Also, I think I might be better off using an Applebred Duron 1.6GHz machine
that I have here instead of the Tualtin. The Tui board (Gigabyte, you know
the one Malcolm) doesn't have an AGP slot or TV out and I don't want to have
to have a monitor next to the TV. (Can the desktop be outputted through the
TV card? It has S-Video and Composite out. I'm guessing not, or at least
not easily). Be a shame to have to use the Applebred though, I've only just
set it up as a Windows machine. (The ti4200 that's in the Applebred has DVI
out and my little TV has DVI in (800 x 600 res) although that means
bypassing my reciever that switches all my other inputs and also means I'd
have to use the TV set's own speakers, although that's no biggie as I'd only
use this for F1)

Finally, I didn't se anything in those links about decoding TV signals. I
take it that the first link was the one?

TYVM.
--
Shaun.

Miguel

Hi Shaun...First off...if this is all because you can't find an F1
torrent I could send you an invite to diwana.org No need for linux at
all.

<snip diwana>
2007_Aus_F1_GP_Sunday_Race.mp4.torrent
Full F1 Race including post-race interviews from Melbourne, Australia.
1000kbps h264 hi-quality WS cap
775 MB
</snip>

But if this is about being linux-curious then I would be surprised if
a Linux distro didn't get you up and running.

But I'd be even more surprised if getting to "up and running" wasn't a
major exercise involving swearing, cursing and copious amounts of
abuse hurled at the operating system.

Linux isn't easy to get to grips with, especially coming from a
Windows environment.
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm (only read this if you've a
spare half-hour)
But, strangely enough, after getting over the initial disorientation
you realize it does "just work"TM.

Anyway, if you want, you can quite easily put your mobo, Pinnacle
card, ram, cd/dvd player etc into a spare box and then throw in a
Linux installation CD (downloaded and burnt earlier by your current
XP(?) machine) and just play around.

Personally, for the specs you mentioned I'd go with the Xubuntu
Alternate installation (mainly cos I'm more familiar with the ubuntu
family and they do "just work"TM. I'm not saying Xubuntu is the best/
fastest etc)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...rnate-i386.iso

File size is 680MB. The only non-intuitive part of the "alternate
xubuntu install" is the partitioner. You're hit with "dev/hda1 ext3 y/
n dev/hda5 swap y/n"....and you're left wondering what??? (Just go
with the defaults)

If you do try out Xubuntu then the beginners forum at ubuntuforums is
your best friend
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Let me know if you want a diwana invite

Regards
Miguel

Craig Sutton

"Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Shaun...First off...if this is all because you can't find an F1
> torrent I could send you an invite to diwana.org No need for linux at
> all.
>
> <snip diwana>
> 2007_Aus_F1_GP_Sunday_Race.mp4.torrent
> Full F1 Race including post-race interviews from Melbourne, Australia.
> 1000kbps h264 hi-quality WS cap
> 775 MB
> </snip>

Or he could download tvuplayer and watch it live on Star Sports.

Blue

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a gigabyte
> 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron CPU, a
> reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to find F1 torrents.
>
> Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not familiar
> with Linux at all.
>
> I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
> misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
>
> With gratitude..

If you do the Linux route you may wish to get a distro tuned for
mutimedia.

http://www.dynebolic.org/ is one. Live CD so download and try.

~misfit~

Craig Sutton wrote:
> "Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hi Shaun...First off...if this is all because you can't find an F1
> > torrent I could send you an invite to diwana.org No need for linux
> > at all.
> >
> > <snip diwana>
> > 2007_Aus_F1_GP_Sunday_Race.mp4.torrent
> > Full F1 Race including post-race interviews from Melbourne,
> > Australia. 1000kbps h264 hi-quality WS cap
> > 775 MB
> > </snip>
> >

> Or he could download tvuplayer and watch it live on Star Sports.

Seriously? Would a NZ ADSL connection be adequate for this? Considering I
can't even stream youtube stuff at certain times of the day?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Miguel wrote:
> Hi Shaun...First off...if this is all because you can't find an F1
> torrent I could send you an invite to diwana.org No need for linux at
> all.
>
> <snip diwana>
> 2007_Aus_F1_GP_Sunday_Race.mp4.torrent
> Full F1 Race including post-race interviews from Melbourne, Australia.
> 1000kbps h264 hi-quality WS cap
> 775 MB
> </snip>
>
> But if this is about being linux-curious then I would be surprised if
> a Linux distro didn't get you up and running.
>
> But I'd be even more surprised if getting to "up and running" wasn't a
> major exercise involving swearing, cursing and copious amounts of
> abuse hurled at the operating system.
>
> Linux isn't easy to get to grips with, especially coming from a
> Windows environment.
> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm (only read this if you've a
> spare half-hour)
> But, strangely enough, after getting over the initial disorientation
> you realize it does "just work"TM.
>
> Anyway, if you want, you can quite easily put your mobo, Pinnacle
> card, ram, cd/dvd player etc into a spare box and then throw in a
> Linux installation CD (downloaded and burnt earlier by your current
> XP(?) machine) and just play around.
>
> Personally, for the specs you mentioned I'd go with the Xubuntu
> Alternate installation (mainly cos I'm more familiar with the ubuntu
> family and they do "just work"TM. I'm not saying Xubuntu is the best/
> fastest etc)
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...rnate-i386.iso
>
> File size is 680MB. The only non-intuitive part of the "alternate
> xubuntu install" is the partitioner. You're hit with "dev/hda1 ext3 y/
> n dev/hda5 swap y/n"....and you're left wondering what??? (Just go
> with the defaults)
>
> If you do try out Xubuntu then the beginners forum at ubuntuforums is
> your best friend
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73
>
> Let me know if you want a diwana invite

Hi Miguel, I'd love an invite to diwana. I didn't know it existed and that
torrent seems perfect for my requirements. Far better than the 1.36GB one
I'm not going to finish until sometime tomorrow. misfitnz at gmail will get
me. I can offer you a torrent-damage invite in return. They're an excellent
site but hard to keep a good ratio on as their uploaders are mostly in
Europe on fibre connections.

Torrents will help in the meantime but I'd like to do the live to air thing.
I heard the result of yesterday's race despite taking precautions and I'm
bloody annoyed with that sort of thing happening too often.

I realise that Linux won't be easy for a beginner. Frankly I'm a little
daunted by it. Especially as I'm taking benzodiazapienes for an anxiety
disorder and they mess with the neural pathways involved with creating
memories. (I can't wait until I no longer need the pills). I've decided to
upgrade the machine I'm going to use to an AMD Applebred Duron 1.6GHz with
512MB DDR RAM and a ti4200 with TV out. (Still only a 20GB HDD though, I'm
short of HHDs. At least it's 7,200rpm/ATA133 [on an ATA100 controller]) The
Applebred is a surprisingly fast CPU, comparable to an Athlon XP 2000 IMO.
That with the increased RAM bandwidth going from SD to DDR (and doubling the
amount) gives me a more capable machine.

This machine will be used almost exclusively for watching F1. (And for
cutting my teeth on a Linux distro) It doesn't need to do much else, if
anything. Malcolm has been trying to get me to try SuSE for the longest time
(I was originally going to dual-boot it on my main machine but didn't want
to risk my Win install with no experienced person here to assist with
set-up) so I see this as an opportunity to use SuSE. Malcolm seems to think
it's good and he's not put me crook yet. Also, I have the full install
(DL) DVD for SuSE 10, including all optional packages, sitting next to me,
no downloading required. (I'm not sure if I'll have to upgrade to 10.2, or
even if an upgrade (as opposed to a re-install) is possible)

I *am* Linux-curious. I'm also very good at swearing, cursing and hurling
copious amounts of abuse. <g>

Hmm. Ubuntu or SuSE? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind
to face the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or, to take arms
against a sea of troubles.

Errr. Sidetracked there. I'll await a reply (or email) from Malcolm re:
whether I need SuSE 10.2. I'd like to minimise downloading, especially until
I get this damn torrent. I'll decide on the distro soon.

Thanks a lot for the reply, and the offer of the diwana invite.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Blue wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a
> > gigabyte 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin
> > Celeron CPU, a reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to
> > find F1 torrents.
> >
> > Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not
> > familiar with Linux at all.
> >
> > I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
> > misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
> >
> > With gratitude..

> If you do the Linux route you may wish to get a distro tuned for
> mutimedia.
>
> http://www.dynebolic.org/ is one. Live CD so download and try.

Thanks Blue. I'll make a decision soon and see about what I'm downloading.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.