Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PS3 demo boxes in the shops

PS3 demo boxes in the shops

Sir to you

Games look a lot like the xbox 360 to me .

Anyway,until they start churning out some original games with decent
gameplay whats the point?

Richard

Sir to you wrote:
> Games look a lot like the xbox 360 to me .
>
> Anyway,until they start churning out some original games with decent
> gameplay whats the point?

The person I know with one just uses it to show off to people, watching
that crap car movie they gave away with it in the states and whatver the
game is they have.

They play on their wii a hell of a lot.

Jason Fanning

Richard wrote:

> They play on their wii a hell of a lot.

After seeing the automated Wii demo console running the other day I
couldn't believe how poor the display was. I don't think the quality
was up to PS2 level.

Crains

Jason Fanning wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
>> They play on their wii a hell of a lot.

> After seeing the automated Wii demo console running the other day I
> couldn't believe how poor the display was. I don't think the quality
> was up to PS2 level.

Nobody would by a WII for the display. Nintendo realizes that good game play
will keep people hooked for far long than some flashy graphics would, and I
agree.

Jason Fanning

Crains wrote:

> Nobody would by a WII for the display. Nintendo realizes that good game play
> will keep people hooked for far long than some flashy graphics would, and I
> agree.

So what is the point of buying one, the demo units they have in the
shops are LCD based, and you can barely make anything out on the screen
when there is a lot of movement.

Chris Lim

On Mar 9, 9:05 pm, Jason Fanning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So what is the point of buying one, the demo units they have in the
> shops are LCD based, and you can barely make anything out on the screen
> when there is a lot of movement.

I have a Nintendo Wii and an LCD TV and have no problems making things
out on the screen. The graphics aren't spectacular, about the same as
a PS2, but the controller adds something new. There aren't any games
out for it yet that make really good use of it though, but I guess
that's to be expected with any new technology.

The PS3 sounds disappointing. In fact nothing since the original
Playstation has really made a huge leap from the previous generation -
they're all just minor graphical and CPU improvements. I remember when
I got my PS One (imported from Japan), the graphics where jaw
dropping. The leap from 2D to 3D was huge. I wonder if/when we will
see another huge leap like that?

Colin B

"Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Mar 9, 9:05 pm, Jason Fanning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> So what is the point of buying one, the demo units they have in the
>> shops are LCD based, and you can barely make anything out on the screen
>> when there is a lot of movement.

> I have a Nintendo Wii and an LCD TV and have no problems making things
> out on the screen. The graphics aren't spectacular, about the same as
> a PS2, but the controller adds something new. There aren't any games
> out for it yet that make really good use of it though, but I guess
> that's to be expected with any new technology.
>
> The PS3 sounds disappointing. In fact nothing since the original
> Playstation has really made a huge leap from the previous generation -
> they're all just minor graphical and CPU improvements. I remember when
> I got my PS One (imported from Japan), the graphics where jaw
> dropping. The leap from 2D to 3D was huge. I wonder if/when we will
> see another huge leap like that?

However, buying a PS3 is an economical way of getting a blu-ray hard drive
player don't you think?

Chris Lim

On Mar 10, 7:29 pm, "Colin B" <Colin (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> However, buying a PS3 is an economical way of getting a blu-ray hard drive
> player don't you think?

Dunno, probably too early to say - are there any stand-alone Blu-ray
players out here yet? And more importantly, many Blu-ray discs?

Mutley

"Colin B" <Colin http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> On Mar 9, 9:05 pm, Jason Fanning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> So what is the point of buying one, the demo units they have in the
>>> shops are LCD based, and you can barely make anything out on the screen
>>> when there is a lot of movement.

>> I have a Nintendo Wii and an LCD TV and have no problems making things
>> out on the screen. The graphics aren't spectacular, about the same as
>> a PS2, but the controller adds something new. There aren't any games
>> out for it yet that make really good use of it though, but I guess
>> that's to be expected with any new technology.
>>
>> The PS3 sounds disappointing. In fact nothing since the original
>> Playstation has really made a huge leap from the previous generation -
>> they're all just minor graphical and CPU improvements. I remember when
>> I got my PS One (imported from Japan), the graphics where jaw
>> dropping. The leap from 2D to 3D was huge. I wonder if/when we will
>> see another huge leap like that?

>However, buying a PS3 is an economical way of getting a blu-ray hard drive
>player don't you think?

Isn't the PS3 to be released here in NZ the cut down European model
that lack some backward compatibility with PS2 games??

Sir to you

On Mar 10, 7:29 pm, "Colin B" <Colin (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

> > On Mar 9, 9:05 pm, Jason Fanning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> So what is the point of buying one, the demo units they have in the
> >> shops are LCD based, and you can barely make anything out on the screen
> >> when there is a lot of movement.

> > I have a Nintendo Wii and an LCD TV and have no problems making things
> > out on the screen. The graphics aren't spectacular, about the same as
> > a PS2, but the controller adds something new. There aren't any games
> > out for it yet that make really good use of it though, but I guess
> > that's to be expected with any new technology.

> > The PS3 sounds disappointing. In fact nothing since the original
> > Playstation has really made a huge leap from the previous generation -
> > they're all just minor graphical and CPU improvements. I remember when
> > I got my PS One (imported from Japan), the graphics where jaw
> > dropping. The leap from 2D to 3D was huge. I wonder if/when we will
> > see another huge leap like that?

> However, buying a PS3 is an economical way of getting a blu-ray hard drive
> player don't you think?- Hide quoted text -

My theory is that blu-ray/hddvd will not take off until it's discs can
be copied as easily as dvd.

Anyway, prices of bluray will drop dramtically in the next couple of
years and 1100 bucks will look like a poor joke.