Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Any good sites that list bogus employment emails and scams?

Any good sites that list bogus employment emails and scams?

thingy

regards

Thing

Enkidu

thingy wrote:
> regards
>
> Thing

Http://www.seek.co.nz <grin>

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

thingy

Enkidu wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
> >

> Http://www.seek.co.nz <grin>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Lol....

I do wonder....hardly a month goes by without some agency ringing me
with the "perfect offer"....except of course the job looks awful,
involves travel and/or the pay is a joke....

I see some jobs there for 4~6 months, you would think the employer would
get the message that they need to offer more....

regards

Thing

EMB

thingy wrote:

> I see some jobs there for 4~6 months, you would think the employer would
> get the message that they need to offer more....

They never seem to. I recently applied for a job with a totally
unrealistic set of experience requirements (I went close to them though)
that had been advertised for 6 months. At the interview they mentioned
the actual job description and I suggested that they needed to look hard
at the whole scenario again and have a rethink. I also suggested that
they increase the pay a good bit if they wanted to get the right person.
They actually took my advice and readvertised it with a new description.

When I reinterviewed and went to talk remuneration with them they were
still offering the same pay for a job with much more responsibility. I
declined to take it any further unless they at least doubled what they
were offering. The job is still advertised at that pay rate.

thingy

EMB wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>>
>> I see some jobs there for 4~6 months, you would think the employer
>> would get the message that they need to offer more....

> They never seem to. I recently applied for a job with a totally
> unrealistic set of experience requirements (I went close to them though)
> that had been advertised for 6 months.

Not infrequent.

At the interview they mentioned
> the actual job description and I suggested that they needed to look hard
> at the whole scenario again and have a rethink.

I usually say this to agencies...they usually dont talk to me again.

I also suggested that
> they increase the pay a good bit if they wanted to get the right person.
> They actually took my advice and readvertised it with a new description.
>
> When I reinterviewed and went to talk remuneration with them they were
> still offering the same pay for a job with much more responsibility. I
> declined to take it any further unless they at least doubled what they
> were offering. The job is still advertised at that pay rate.

Most employers do seem to be ball park, but if you are on $x why move
for the same $x? (all else being equal).

Some though are way off tack....so way off its incredible....like
offering $60k for a $90k job....weird...

The other ones I like are;

1) Take the pay cut, move for the experience (this just so common).
2) Accept this offer and we will review your pay scale in 3months.
3) Yes we know the JD does not match the real job, but we cannot change
it....
4) The top of the scale would only be paid if you could do all what they
want straight off....( ie see point 1)).

yeah right....pass the tui....

These days its an employees market....

regards

Thing

EMB

thingy wrote:

> Most employers do seem to be ball park, but if you are on $x why move
> for the same $x? (all else being equal).
>
> Some though are way off tack....so way off its incredible....like
> offering $60k for a $90k job....weird...

These guys have definitely done that - I make significantly more money
contracting part-time than they are offering. For the skill set and
experience they are wanting the only viable applicants they are likely
to get are going to be IT contractors who want a change. By the time I
take their salaried job and start paying the 39c tax rate as well my
disposable income drops so far it's laughable.

thingy

EMB wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>

>> Most employers do seem to be ball park, but if you are on $x why move
>> for the same $x? (all else being equal).
>>
>> Some though are way off tack....so way off its incredible....like
>> offering $60k for a $90k job....weird...

> These guys have definitely done that - I make significantly more money
> contracting part-time than they are offering. For the skill set and
> experience they are wanting the only viable applicants they are likely
> to get are going to be IT contractors who want a change. By the time I
> take their salaried job and start paying the 39c tax rate as well my
> disposable income drops so far it's laughable.

Contracting and perm are different though....I used to contract in
London and with so much work and so many options, contracting was
guaranteed, in NZ that is no where near the case....so I accept less $....

Sounds like they are un-realistic, in which case you going anywhere near
them sounds like too much pain for you, just walk away....easy really....

I would treat that as one of the warning signs of a bad employer...skin
flints stand out a mile, and anything they do would get treated the same.

regards

Thing