Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > soundblaster or onboard audio better?

soundblaster or onboard audio better?

parrot

I don't know what will be better, a pci soundblaster live or onboard audio
ADI AD1986A as found in the nvidia geforce 6150 chipset, what I mean by
better is cpu utilization, reliability, compatibility and quality(not how
many channels of sound) of sound and anything else vital I might not have
thought of. And no I can't test this out for myself and it will affect my
purchasing.

Earl Grey

parrot wrote:
> I don't know what will be better, a pci soundblaster live or onboard audio
> ADI AD1986A as found in the nvidia geforce 6150 chipset, what I mean by
> better is cpu utilization, reliability, compatibility and quality(not how
> many channels of sound) of sound and anything else vital I might not have
> thought of. And no I can't test this out for myself and it will affect my
> purchasing.

The motherboard chipset and the Analog Devices onboard DAC is to the
Intel HDA standard which supersedes AC97, and would be capable of more
new formats and higher quality than the SB Live.
It should be supported by the Vista UAA drivers

Earl Grey

Earl Grey wrote:
> parrot wrote:
>> I don't know what will be better, a pci soundblaster live or onboard
>> audio ADI AD1986A as found in the nvidia geforce 6150 chipset, what I
>> mean by better is cpu utilization, reliability, compatibility and
>> quality(not how many channels of sound) of sound and anything else
>> vital I might not have thought of. And no I can't test this out for
>> myself and it will affect my purchasing.
>>

> The motherboard chipset and the Analog Devices onboard DAC is to the
> Intel HDA standard which supersedes AC97, and would be capable of more
> new formats and higher quality than the SB Live.
> It should be supported by the Vista UAA drivers

PS its also supported in linux by the ALSA module snd-intel-hda

Mathew Good

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:21:24 +1300, "parrot" <parrot@bird> wrote:

>I don't know what will be better, a pci soundblaster live or onboard audio
>ADI AD1986A as found in the nvidia geforce 6150 chipset, what I mean by
>better is cpu utilization, reliability, compatibility and quality(not how
>many channels of sound) of sound and anything else vital I might not have
>thought of. And no I can't test this out for myself and it will affect my
>purchasing.

If into games the Soundblaster only uses 4% of the CPU, no onboard sound chip currently sold can
compete.

But there was a Nvidia Mobo that had a Very good onboard sould chip made by Nvidia some years
back..

Allistar

Earl Grey wrote:

> Earl Grey wrote:
>> parrot wrote:
>>> I don't know what will be better, a pci soundblaster live or onboard
>>> audio ADI AD1986A as found in the nvidia geforce 6150 chipset, what I
>>> mean by better is cpu utilization, reliability, compatibility and
>>> quality(not how many channels of sound) of sound and anything else
>>> vital I might not have thought of. And no I can't test this out for
>>> myself and it will affect my purchasing.
>>>

>> The motherboard chipset and the Analog Devices onboard DAC is to the
>> Intel HDA standard which supersedes AC97, and would be capable of more
>> new formats and higher quality than the SB Live.
>> It should be supported by the Vista UAA drivers

> PS its also supported in linux by the ALSA module snd-intel-hda

Indeed it is. I use it (Gentoo Linux) and the sound is great.

Allistar.

Dave Taylor

Mathew Good <(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If into games the Soundblaster only uses 4% of the CPU, no onboard
> sound chip currently sold can compete.

What game, and what CPU did you get your %4 number from?
Most games now use DirectX, and do not use the old methods of directly
addressing the hardware. Actually, I think that "the chip" is on the
motherboard for new built-in onboard sound cards, so it is virtually the
same as a PCI card.

I have an old Ensonique for a game port. The sound is poor compared to my
onboard ADI.
I do not use or need 5.1

--
Ciao, Dave

parrot

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns98E5CEA549B04daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> Mathew Good <(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> If into games the Soundblaster only uses 4% of the CPU, no onboard
>> sound chip currently sold can compete.
>>

> What game, and what CPU did you get your %4 number from?
> Most games now use DirectX, and do not use the old methods of directly
> addressing the hardware. Actually, I think that "the chip" is on the
> motherboard for new built-in onboard sound cards, so it is virtually the
> same as a PCI card.
>
> I have an old Ensonique for a game port. The sound is poor compared to my
> onboard ADI.
> I do not use or need 5.1
>

> --
> Ciao, Dave

But you can't compare a ensonique to a soundblaster live, from what i
remember the ensonique was total crap and so could be expected to be
bettered by a new onboard sound chip.

parrot

"Mathew Good" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:21:24 +1300, "parrot" <parrot@bird> wrote:
>
>>I don't know what will be better, a pci soundblaster live or onboard audio
>>ADI AD1986A as found in the nvidia geforce 6150 chipset, what I mean by
>>better is cpu utilization, reliability, compatibility and quality(not how
>>many channels of sound) of sound and anything else vital I might not have
>>thought of. And no I can't test this out for myself and it will affect my
>>purchasing.
>>

> If into games the Soundblaster only uses 4% of the CPU, no onboard sound
> chip currently sold can
> compete.

What difference are we talking about though, does onboard use 5% for the
same speed cpu for example or is the difference a lot greater?

parrot

"Earl Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:45e3764b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> parrot wrote:
>> I don't know what will be better, a pci soundblaster live or onboard
>> audio ADI AD1986A as found in the nvidia geforce 6150 chipset, what I
>> mean by better is cpu utilization, reliability, compatibility and
>> quality(not how many channels of sound) of sound and anything else vital
>> I might not have thought of. And no I can't test this out for myself and
>> it will affect my purchasing.

> The motherboard chipset and the Analog Devices onboard DAC is to the Intel
> HDA standard which supersedes AC97, and would be capable of more new
> formats and higher quality than the SB Live.
> It should be supported by the Vista UAA drivers

Thanks but would the soundblaster not be supported by vista too, not that i
am interested in vista, only just upgraded to xp and will stick with that at
least 5 years I would say.

Mathew Good

On 28 Feb 2007 20:18:50 +1300, Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mathew Good <(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>

>> If into games the Soundblaster only uses 4% of the CPU, no onboard
>> sound chip currently sold can compete.
>>

>What game, and what CPU did you get your %4 number from?

Go read of some of the Many sound card reviews only 2 Cards from memory and the Nvida sound chip
used some 4%, all others use 20% or more.

>Most games now use DirectX,

******* they do not for surround and other sound enhancements, The Creative's EAX is used, some
of the onboard sound chips have support for EAX1/2..

>sand do not use the old methods of directly
>addressing the hardware. Actually, I think that "the chip" is on the
>motherboard for new built-in onboard sound cards, so it is virtually the
>same as a PCI card.

No the use the CPU to do all the work..

>I have an old Ensonique for a game port. The sound is poor compared to my
>onboard ADI.
>I do not use or need 5.1

Shame that these facts are know by the masses...

Go do some more reading like I have done..