Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > where to get firewire adaptor?

where to get firewire adaptor?

risc

Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller but
you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place I
bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third party
adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up nothing
which is very frustrating.?

Allistar

risc wrote:

> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller but
> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place
> I bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third
> party adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up
> nothing which is very frustrating.?

How about a PCI card? I know it won't use your on board controller, but they
are cheap:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=337665

Allistar.

risc

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> risc wrote:
>
>> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
>> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller
>> but
>> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place
>> I bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third
>> party adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned
>> up
>> nothing which is very frustrating.?

> How about a PCI card? I know it won't use your on board controller, but
> they
> are cheap:
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=337665
>
> Allistar.

No spare pci slots. It seems crazy that my motherboard has firewire
controller but the port is optional when this extra component would be very
cheap to include, makes no sense to me. If worse comes to worst then I
suppose i might be able to jerry rig something with firewire pcb socket from
dick smiths but that would be a hassle and could be messy.

Allistar

risc wrote:

> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> risc wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
>>> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller
>>> but
>>> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the
>>> place I bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any
>>> third party adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far
>>> turned up
>>> nothing which is very frustrating.?

>> How about a PCI card? I know it won't use your on board controller, but
>> they
>> are cheap:
>>
>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=337665
>>
>> Allistar.

> No spare pci slots. It seems crazy that my motherboard has firewire
> controller but the port is optional when this extra component would be
> very cheap to include, makes no sense to me. If worse comes to worst then
> I suppose i might be able to jerry rig something with firewire pcb socket
> from dick smiths but that would be a hassle and could be messy.

What sort of motherboard is it?

Allistar.

risc

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> risc wrote:
>

>> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> How about a PCI card? I know it won't use your on board controller, but
>>> they
>>> are cheap:
>>>
>>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=337665
>>>
>>> Allistar.

>> No spare pci slots. It seems crazy that my motherboard has firewire
>> controller but the port is optional when this extra component would be
>> very cheap to include, makes no sense to me. If worse comes to worst then
>> I suppose i might be able to jerry rig something with firewire pcb socket
>> from dick smiths but that would be a hassle and could be messy.

> What sort of motherboard is it?
>
> Allistar.

a budget foxconn

Mathew Good

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:24:22 +1300, "risc" <risc@cisc> wrote:

>Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
>header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller but
>you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place I
>bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third party
>adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up nothing
>which is very frustrating.?

E-mail the Board agents or manufactures..

Seems all you need is the Adapter cable..

In some cases it could have been left out of the Box, see what should be included in the Manual..

risc

"Mathew Good" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:24:22 +1300, "risc" <risc@cisc> wrote:
>
> >Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
> >header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller

but
> >you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place

> >bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third

party
> >adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up

nothing
> >which is very frustrating.?
> >

> E-mail the Board agents or manufactures..
>
> Seems all you need is the Adapter cable..
>
> In some cases it could have been left out of the Box, see what should be

included in the Manual..

Thanks but it seems i have misunderstood things and this motherboard does
not have a firewire capability at all, only an empty slot for a firewire
expansion card, the manual was very ambiguous about this with it's
inconsistent terminology etc... but I should have realised that my original
understanding could not possibly have been right, a firewire controller with
optional cable, doh!

jasen

On 2007-02-26, risc <risc@cisc> wrote:
> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller but
> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place I
> bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third party
> adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up nothing
> which is very frustrating.?

Odd, most motherboards I've seen come with a firewire socket if they have the
capability, I can get my hands on some spares, where are you at?

Bye.
Jasen

risc

"jasen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eruail$hol$(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.org...
> On 2007-02-26, risc <risc@cisc> wrote:
>> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
>> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller
>> but
>> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place
>> bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third
>> party
>> adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up
>> nothing
>> which is very frustrating.?

> Odd, most motherboards I've seen come with a firewire socket if they have
> the
> capability, I can get my hands on some spares, where are you at?
>
> Bye.
> Jasen

Thanks very much for the kind offer but it seemed strange for a reason,
because I stuffed up and misunderstood the manual, there is no firewire
capability on this motherboard, only a socket for adding firewire
controller, it's not a aftermarket option.

Mathew Good

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:19:14 +1300, "risc" <risc@cisc> wrote:

>"jasen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:eruail$hol$(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.org...
>> On 2007-02-26, risc <risc@cisc> wrote:
>>> Anybody know of where I can buy a firewire port that can attach to the
>>> header pins on my motherboard, the motherboard has firewire controller
>>> but
>>> you need to use an optional adaptor to use it and unfortunately the place
>>> bought the motherboard from cannot supply this, so are there any third
>>> party
>>> adaptors of this type in New Zealand, my search has so far turned up
>>> nothing
>>> which is very frustrating.?

>> Odd, most motherboards I've seen come with a firewire socket if they have
>> the
>> capability, I can get my hands on some spares, where are you at?
>>
>> Bye.
>> Jasen

>Thanks very much for the kind offer but it seemed strange for a reason,
>because I stuffed up and misunderstood the manual, there is no firewire
>capability on this motherboard, only a socket for adding firewire
>controller, it's not a aftermarket option.

What brand and Model is this MoBo..