Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wired and wireless together??

Wired and wireless together??

Bill

Is there any way to have both a wireless connection and a wired connection
active at the same time, with priority given to the wired connection?

What I'm trying to do is this - my wife uses her laptop at three different
places in the house. Two of them have ethernet ports in the wall, while the
third does not. When she's using the computer at one of the two wired
locations, I'd like the computer to recognize that the wire is present and
use that as the connection to my home network for the increased speed.
However, when she's at the third location (where there is no hardware port)
I'd like to have the wireless active. I've tried just leaving them both
enabled, but the wireless always seems to have priority - in other words
even after I plug in the cable I'm still only getting the wireless speeds on
my connection. I know I could do this with hardware profiles in XP, but I'm
trying to make this as seamless as possible for her, and I don't want her to
have to reboot when she changes rooms.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Bill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Is there any way to have both a wireless connection and a wired connection
>active at the same time, with priority given to the wired connection?
>
>What I'm trying to do is this - my wife uses her laptop at three different
>places in the house. Two of them have ethernet ports in the wall, while the
>third does not. When she's using the computer at one of the two wired
>locations, I'd like the computer to recognize that the wire is present and
>use that as the connection to my home network for the increased speed.
>However, when she's at the third location (where there is no hardware port)
>I'd like to have the wireless active. I've tried just leaving them both
>enabled, but the wireless always seems to have priority - in other words
>even after I plug in the cable I'm still only getting the wireless speeds on
>my connection. I know I could do this with hardware profiles in XP, but I'm
>trying to make this as seamless as possible for her, and I don't want her to
>have to reboot when she changes rooms.
>
>Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Assign a metric value to each network connection, giving a lower value
to the wired one and a higher value to the wireless one.

To assign a metric to a network connection:

1. Open the Network Connections folder.
2. Right click the desired connection.
3. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
4. Click Properties | Advanced.
5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Terri68 Terri68 is offline
Junior Member

I have 3 hardwired PC's and one laptop I wish to use wireless ( more to come...child's school computer is wireless and other child's laptop will be upgraded to have wireless access).

My problem is this: I have the hardwire set up. my new wireless router, I cannot configure or set up on my new laptop.

Suggestions. Is this possible to have modem connected to wired router and wireless router connected to wired router to make this work? or do I have all backwords.

signed,
i thought i was a geek. Maybe I need more wine!!