Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Static IP on Orcon?

Reply
Thread Tools

Static IP on Orcon?

 
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2007
Do Orcon provide static IPs?

Their helldesk said they don't do static IPs on anything, and you
can't even pay extra for them, but I've got a feeling I talked to a
n00b and he was only guessing.

Does anyone here know?


--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Cooze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2007
Fred Dagg wrote:
> Do Orcon provide static IPs?
>
> Their helldesk said they don't do static IPs on anything, and you
> can't even pay extra for them, but I've got a feeling I talked to a
> n00b and he was only guessing.
>
> Does anyone here know?
>
>

Yep I'm with ORCON I seem to have had the same IP address since I
changed from dial up to there ADSL offerings officialy it is not a
static IP so with bated breth I am wating for the IP change....

--
http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

/ __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
/ / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
whoisthis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do Orcon provide static IPs?
>
> Their helldesk said they don't do static IPs on anything, and you
> can't even pay extra for them, but I've got a feeling I talked to a
> n00b and he was only guessing.
>
> Does anyone here know?


www.dyndns.org
Achieves the same thing for the majority of purposes
 
Reply With Quote
 
-=rjh=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2007
Robert Cooze wrote:
> Fred Dagg wrote:
>> Do Orcon provide static IPs?
>>
>> Their helldesk said they don't do static IPs on anything, and you
>> can't even pay extra for them, but I've got a feeling I talked to a
>> n00b and he was only guessing.
>>
>> Does anyone here know?
>>
>>

> Yep I'm with ORCON I seem to have had the same IP address since I
> changed from dial up to there ADSL offerings officialy it is not a
> static IP so with bated breth I am wating for the IP change....
>


Same here - Orcon can't advertise (and don't guarantee) that IP
addresses on some of their plans are static, but mine has never changed
(Advance 40).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Hope
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2007
-=rjh=- wrote:

> Robert Cooze wrote:
>> Fred Dagg wrote:
>>> Do Orcon provide static IPs?
>>>
>>> Their helldesk said they don't do static IPs on anything, and you
>>> can't even pay extra for them, but I've got a feeling I talked to a
>>> n00b and he was only guessing.
>>>
>>> Does anyone here know?
>>>
>>>

>> Yep I'm with ORCON I seem to have had the same IP address since I
>> changed from dial up to there ADSL offerings officialy it is not a
>> static IP so with bated breth I am wating for the IP change....

>
> Same here - Orcon can't advertise (and don't guarantee) that IP
> addresses on some of their plans are static, but mine has never
> changed (Advance 40).


And same here too. I've only ever had two IP addresses with them in 2
years and the only reason it changed was when I moved house.

--
Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2007
Fred Dagg wrote:
> Do Orcon provide static IPs?
>
> Their helldesk said they don't do static IPs on anything, and you
> can't even pay extra for them, but I've got a feeling I talked to a
> n00b and he was only guessing.
>
> Does anyone here know?


They used to provide them - the 2 I got set up about 3 years ago have
been static the whole time.

--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2007
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:48:36 +1300, Chris Hope
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>-=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> Robert Cooze wrote:
>>> Fred Dagg wrote:
>>>> Do Orcon provide static IPs?
>>>>
>>>> Their helldesk said they don't do static IPs on anything, and you
>>>> can't even pay extra for them, but I've got a feeling I talked to a
>>>> n00b and he was only guessing.
>>>>
>>>> Does anyone here know?
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Yep I'm with ORCON I seem to have had the same IP address since I
>>> changed from dial up to there ADSL offerings officialy it is not a
>>> static IP so with bated breth I am wating for the IP change....

>>
>> Same here - Orcon can't advertise (and don't guarantee) that IP
>> addresses on some of their plans are static, but mine has never
>> changed (Advance 40).

>
>And same here too. I've only ever had two IP addresses with them in 2
>years and the only reason it changed was when I moved house.


Awesome, thanks guys.


--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Zipper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-18-2007
Fred Dagg wrote:
> Do Orcon provide static IPs?
>
> Their helldesk said they don't do static IPs on anything, and you
> can't even pay extra for them, but I've got a feeling I talked to a
> n00b and he was only guessing.
>
> Does anyone here know?
>
>


Yes, they are static.
 
Reply With Quote
 
duncanblair@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2007
On Feb 17, 12:08 am, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> DoOrconprovide static IPs?
>


Just to clarify:

We do not guarantee that your IP is static, and reserve the right to
change it without notice. However, you are assigned an IP address and
it is very unlikely that this will change. There are a couple of
situations where your IP may change (for instance if you change plan).
For most peoples purposes the IP address will be static (i.e. so long
as it is a mission critical if your IP was to change you should be
fine).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Duncan Blair
Marketing Manager
Orcon Internet


 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2007
On 19 Feb 2007 16:10:49 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) exclaimed:

>On Feb 17, 12:08 am, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> DoOrconprovide static IPs?
>>

>
>Just to clarify:
>
>We do not guarantee that your IP is static, and reserve the right to
>change it without notice. However, you are assigned an IP address and
>it is very unlikely that this will change. There are a couple of
>situations where your IP may change (for instance if you change plan).
>For most peoples purposes the IP address will be static (i.e. so long
>as it is a mission critical if your IP was to change you should be
>fine).
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Cheers,
>Duncan Blair
>Marketing Manager
>Orcon Internet


Thanks heaps, Duncan.


--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PIX public/24 ip static mapping means 256 times interfaces static maps? Nieuws Xs4all Cisco 2 05-26-2005 06:25 PM
PIX public/24 ip static mapping means 256 times interfaces static maps? Nieuws Xs4all Cisco 0 05-26-2005 11:07 AM
Static is REALLY Static! Paul W ASP .Net 2 05-03-2005 10:12 AM
Static classes with static members Ben ASP .Net 3 06-01-2004 07:43 PM
Static vs. non-static connection Natan ASP .Net 8 05-26-2004 08:21 AM



Advertisments